Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 20 gal portable upright Kobalt from Lowes 8 years ago. It has been quite good and I have maintained it properly.

Yesterday it wouldn't shut off and it would not come up to pressure fully, I checked and one cylinder is blowing out air rather than sucking it in plus running quite warm, anybody have any idea what the problem is?

I doubt anybody at Lowes can diagnose it and who knows who made it for them. I'c like to fix it my self.

·
Registered
588 Posts
You have a broken reed valve. You are probably right about Lowes not knowing anything. Right now, you have nothing to loose by trying to fix it yourself, if anything, you will gain knowledge......that is something nobody can ever take away from you.

You can search internet on who builds them or where to get parts. Compressors are simple to work on, similar to a two stroke engine.

Good Luck! :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
10,043 Posts
Yes, the reed valve is in the head. It's very simple, basically just a little flapper. Pull the head off and you should see where it attaches on the inside. If you can't get a new one from the manufacturer I've seen a few "field fixes" where guys made a valve out of something like wide metal banding. Like Raco said, it already doesn't work so you've got nothing to lose by trying. :good2:

·
Registered
588 Posts
Need to see a pic to make any determination that has merit. Just guessing otherwise - too many variables.
I guess experience does not count for merit anymore.

·
Registered
837 Posts
You may be able to get the part you need from Grainger. They carry a lot of parts for compressors.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
You may be able to get the part you need from Grainger. They carry a lot of parts for compressors.
Some of their compressor parts are even reasonably priced.

Had a check valve that was bad on my IR T-30 when I bought it. Pumped air out the side and wouldn't build pressure so the pump wouldn't turn off. $11 part later = haven't touched it in 10 years.

·
Registered
588 Posts
What kind of pump is it? Single, two stage? How many cylinders? Are you psychic? I'm not. I need to know where the air's escaping before I determine it's a valve.
I'm not only psychic, but psycho as well. :cray:

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I'm not only psychic, but psycho as well. :cray:
I had a shrink ask if I mutilated animals as a kid today... (No!) :cookoo: I'm not in a particularly joyous mood after that line of questioning, so I'm sorry if it reads harsh. Guy was feeling me out for psycho/sociopath tendencies and it's bothering me. C&P exam from the VA.

I wasn't trying to be offensive with my previous assertion, only explain that we don't have enough information at this time - something I learned through a lot of experience over the years.

·
Premium Member
4,326 Posts
I had a shrink ask if I mutilated animals as a kid today... (No!) :cookoo: I'm not in a particularly joyous mood after that line of questioning, so I'm sorry if it reads harsh. Guy was feeling me out for psycho/sociopath tendencies and it's bothering me. C&P exam from the VA.

I wasn't trying to be offensive with my previous assertion, only explain that we don't have enough information at this time - something I learned through a lot of experience over the years.

Jim, you were perhaps harsh but this explains it. You probably passed the test because you didn't kick the shrinks ass. I only assume you didn't because your online.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I didn't kick his ass because I'm not a violent person. He was doing his job trying to disqualify my current issues as a personality disorder (which are non-compensable), and was digging into some dark areas of my youth and it put me in a foul mood.

Again, I'm sorry for bringing that baggage into this thread.

Odis, where are you at? I'm a damn good mechanic. We can get you fixed up one way or another.

Do you have a model number of the compressor?

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I bought a 20 gal portable upright Kobalt from Lowes 8 years ago. It has been quite good and I have maintained it properly.

Yesterday it wouldn't shut off and it would not come up to pressure fully, I checked and one cylinder is blowing out air rather than sucking it in plus running quite warm, anybody have any idea what the problem is?

I doubt anybody at Lowes can diagnose it and who knows who made it for them. I'c like to fix it my self.
Does it look like this one?

045564635589.jpg

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
It's a twin cylinder, single stage pump. Each head is making it's own pressure and should pump that into the tank. Based on the photo, there's a manifold at some point (possibly part of one of the heads or cylinders), and that might not have a separate check valve for each cylinder, so the check valve to the tank would have failed in the closed position and it's causing the pressure to back feed through the cylinder that's blowing out it's intake and getting hot.

Could you take a pic of the plumbing on the pump head and post it?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Some of their compressor parts are even reasonably priced.

Had a check valve that was bad on my IR T-30 when I bought it. Pumped air out the side and wouldn't build pressure so the pump wouldn't turn off. $11 part later = haven't touched it in 10 years.
Same here, I even think the part was around $10 or $11 bucks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts