Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story, but will type out the short version as to not bore anyone.

I wanted a big air compressor, many reasons for wanting a big one, but one in particular is the run a 1/2 hose reel for blowing off the tractors and mowers. I found a really big one... 200 gallon tank and a pump the size of a Harley engine. A couple years later, I have swapped the 3 phase motor, started building the shed and now have the compressor in place and wired up. Woohoo! big win for me. Finally coming around...

Note; wiring to the 120V outlet feeding the auto drain is temporary, so cut me some slack on that part.

Next up is finishing the tin, and plumbing the air lines. Couple pics of the shed and Godzilla of air compressors. Picture doesn't really do justice for the size of this thing, tank is over 6' long, shed is 4'x8' and fit is pretty tight. Big shout out to my brother for helping figure out the wiring on the mag starter and pressure switch.
Sky Plant Cloud Wood Shade

Valve Wood Gas Cylinder Machine

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
Now THAT'S a compressor !!!!!
Nice job.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the 7.5HP verticle tank version of that baby. Keep up on the air filter and oil service and that compressor will live a long and productive life.
This was a 10hp 3 phase, I swapped to a 7.5hp single phase. Seems to pull the load just fine, I did change the pulley on the motor as the motor guy recommended I do, slows the pump down a little, but it is still moving a massive amount of air! Pump seems to be working good, amazing to watch the gauge climb so quickly knowing there is such a large tank. I'll get motor cycle times before I put it service. Right now I have max pressure set at 140psi, I may bump that up or down depending on performance once everything is plumbed.

I changed the pump oil and put a new intake filter on it. The intake breather had some damage and I had to straighten out, it does seal correct now. And I did a lot of work cleaning up and straightening fins on the cooler, the cooler is massive, guessing from memory somewhere close to 20"x48". I have this compressor set up to shut off with the pressure switch, you can set this up to run continuous and have the pump reeds go into bypass mode when the set pressure is reached. This whole compressor

Current investment in the compressor is in the $1100-1200 range. I don't remember the CFM spec right now, but when I was researching compressors similar airflow was going to cost about 3 or 4 times that much easy.

·
Premium Member
5,160 Posts
I rebuilt one not long ago

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I rebuilt one not long ago

That is awesome @Big I would love to do that to this one, but I really don't need another project right now. I am a little jealous of the way yours looks, nice work! Still running okay?

·
Premium Member
5,160 Posts
That is awesome @Big I would love to do that to this one, but I really don't need another project right now. I am a little jealous of the way yours looks, nice work! Still running okay?
Running great! Can't kill those old compressors.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Worked at a tire shop years ago that had 2 of them supplying 9 bays

Reactions: Herminator
1 - 10 of 10 Posts