Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have this problem? I get new air filters for my 1025 and as I have done with any dual air filter system I have dealt with in all my years running equipment I put the inner filter in first and make sure its seated then I put the outter filter on and before I push it in I make sure the inner filter is pushed in and straight before I put the outter one in all the way.

So today I do that and I can't get the outter filter all the way in. So as I pull them out I see that the inner filter is sticking way out from where it should be. I pull it out and see that end has knobs on it where my old filter doesnt. So I just grab the new filters and the old filter and off to my dealer which is 40 mins away.

I go in and say to parts guy you gave me wrong filter and as he is looking up part he says did you smack it? I say no I have never had to smack a filter, he reaches over and smacks the end of the new inner filter and basically forces it into the new outer and then says see? I respond back by taking it out and just drop in old filter and say I never had to do that before. This one just slides right in. He says well not anymore and goes and comes back with a different inner filter and says this is what they have for yours. They are all the same. He then tells me that this is what JD has changed. Both filters are the same height when standing side by side, I checked.

So I said well Thanks, its still bs that i have to beat a air filter together, go to say hi to my sales man and tell him I want to change tires and what does he think about the tires on a tractor in the show room and he says have you let the pressure out of yours and i said yes but I still want different tires and start to ask if he can get them and he says whats wrong with your air filter so I showed him and he says spit on it when you get home. It wil slide right in. Yeah oldest trick in the book.

Anyway, he gets up and says good luck with everything and I just said thanks and headed for the door.. I see him heading to the back to talk to parys guy and decided I am going to try another dealer. Over the last year things have changed. Maybe its me? Before he was always ready to jump on the computer and spend my money but now its like he cant get me out of there fast enough.

I put the 2 filters together and then I had to put a thin line of oil on the filters, and then shoved both of them together as one to get them in the housing and then had to fight getting the cover back on. Closing the 2 tabs were harder than I ever had to do in the past. Had to actually take side panel off to do it. Glad I put the pins in like everyone else. Getting a wrench to take panel off probably would have pushed me over the edge.

I did notice my old inner filter was made in China and the new inner filter is from Mexico. 2 different styles. I am guessing my tractor likes the Chinese one better... :banghead:

So does anyone else have to do the same thing with your filters?

·
Super Moderator
2,436 Posts
Thanks for the info. Something to look out for in the future. I just did my 200 hr service using JD's filter pack, which only comes with a new outer filter. Installed without issues. The inner for filter didn't have any dirt on it, so I didn't give it any thought about replacing it. Was your inner filter dirty?

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
I did notice my old inner filter was made in China and the new inner filter is from Mexico. 2 different styles. I am guessing my tractor likes the Chinese one better... :banghead:

So does anyone else have to do the same thing with your filters?
Not yet. I've got my 1000 hour service coming up but don't think the air filters, at least the inner one, will have to be changed. They must have just changed over to the new style in the past year. Having them made in Mexico must be our President's way of making Mexico pay for the wall and sticking it to China. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not yet. I've got my 1000 hour service coming up but don't think the air filters, at least the inner one, will have to be changed. They must have just changed over to the new style in the past year. Having them made in Mexico must be our President's way of making Mexico pay for the wall and sticking it to China.

Now that is funny! Thanks for the laugh Levi! Made my morning! :lolol:

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. Something to look out for in the future. I just did my 200 hr service using JD's filter pack, which only comes with a new outer filter. Installed without issues. The inner for filter didn't have any dirt on it, so I didn't give it any thought about replacing it. Was your inner filter dirty?
Yes it was. I was working in a lot of dust and it got dirty. Usually they dont. I'm gonna take a pic of them when we get back today, or tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I echo Stan's (Coaltrain) conclusions. Also, oil is a not good idea as it is a magnet for dust. It will cling to the oil rather than being discharged from the dust boot.

You really don't want to be opening up the air cleaner, unless you have to. There is always the possibility of dust/dirt being dislodged and falling into the throttle body.

The 1025R air cleaner has a pipe plug in the port for the air restriction indicator. I'd suggest you add it and utilize that as the indication of when to change the outer filter. As with everything Deere, the JD price for this item is rather nuts. It is manufactured by Donaldson and there is at least one GTT thread I know of that has links where to purchase what you need at an affordable price:

http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/sub-compact-utility-tractors-scut/105233-what-air-restriction-indicator-port.html

·
Registered
23,026 Posts
I echo Stan's (Coaltrain) conclusions. Also, oil is a not good idea as it is a magnet for dust. It will cling to the oil rather than being discharged from the dust boot.

You really don't want to be opening up the air cleaner, unless you have to. There is always the possibility of dust/dirt being dislodged and falling into the throttle body.

The 1025R air cleaner has a pipe plug in the port for the air restriction indicator. I'd suggest you add it and utilize that as the indication of when to change the outer filter. As with everything Deere, the JD price for this item is rather nuts. It is manufactured by Donaldson and there is at least one GTT thread I know of that has links where to purchase what you need at an affordable price:

http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/sub-compact-utility-tractors-scut/105233-what-air-restriction-indicator-port.html
All these tractors - or anything with these canister type air filters - should have an air restriction indicator standard.

As you said - you shouldn't open the canister unless you need to. Each time you open it you are risking getting dirt in there. And each time you remove the filter to "look" at it you are taking the chance of damaging the seal.

And don't get me started about banging the air filter to clean it.......

·
Registered
307 Posts
I never ask the fox, if the chickens are ok in the hen house. If you do clean an air filter you can use a vacuum to suck loose dirt away in the chamber don't use forced air. A new air filter is not as efficient, filtering dirt as a used filter is. Not saying to run with a plugged filter either. Back in the day before the air filter marketing craze took over. They taught us in JD tech classes to clean air filters and reuse them until they were too dirty for service.

Now days selling a new filter is the preferred service method. I have said before. It's all about the money now days!!!:gizmo:

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I never ask the fox, if the chickens are ok in the hen house. If you do clean an air filter you can use a vacuum to suck loose dirt away in the chamber don't use forced air. A new air filter is not as efficient, filtering dirt as a used filter is. Not saying to run with a plugged filter either. Back in the day before the air filter marketing craze took over. They taught us in JD tech classes to clean air filters and reuse them until they were too dirty for service.

Now days selling a new filter is the preferred service method. I have said before. It's all about the money now days!!!:gizmo:
Thank you, I now feel vindicated with my own air filter service routine.:nunu::laugh:

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Look for the original style

I usually prefer to use OEM parts but in this case, I might go straight to the manufacturer of the filter and see if they have the original style available. You want an air filter snug enough to seal but IMHO, having to smack it is just wrong.

I agree with the posts on using a restriction indicator rather than opening the canister to check the filter.

It sounds like you've lost confidence in your dealer. If there is another one reasonable close by, you might start building a relationship there. I visit two different dealers even though neither one is really that close. They probably both know I"m not going to drop a lot of :gizmo: but at least I know a few people in each one in case I need something from them. On parts and service, there's almost always one or two guys that really know a particular model or line of product but usually the dealer doesn't have someone for every product. They might be ok on everything but there's going to be one or two lines they know inside and out, all the quirks and odd things every product has. If it's your tractor model, that's golden.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just bought a service kit from a JD store on line. OEM parts. The new inner filter was a little stiff to push into place but nothing overly difficult. Nothing difficult enough to make me think something wasnt right. The outer filter went into place much easier than the inner.

·
Premium Member
9,088 Posts
I usually prefer to use OEM parts but in this case, I might go straight to the manufacturer of the filter and see if they have the original style available. You want an air filter snug enough to seal but IMHO, having to smack it is just wrong.

I agree with the posts on using a restriction indicator rather than opening the canister to check the filter.

It sounds like you've lost confidence in your dealer. If there is another one reasonable close by, you might start building a relationship there. I visit two different dealers even though neither one is really that close. They probably both know I"m not going to drop a lot of :gizmo: but at least I know a few people in each one in case I need something from them. On parts and service, there's almost always one or two guys that really know a particular model or line of product but usually the dealer doesn't have someone for every product. They might be ok on everything but there's going to be one or two lines they know inside and out, all the quirks and odd things every product has. If it's your tractor model, that's golden.

Treefarmer
"Smacking the filter" also is the first step into possibly crushing it even slightly, which will obviously impede air flow and cause restriction on fresh air coming into the engine. Never a good idea as it's the same as over tightening a filter install nut, both can compress the filter which damage it's effectiveness.

Wenton Brown, It's also important to keep in mind related to the dealer that some times people can have a bad day or something can happen. I had spoken to Ryan my sales guy one day and he mentioned he was going to stop by my place that morning. Ryan didn't show up, which I thought was odd. He called me the next day and it turns out one of his children had a medical emergency and he had to rush to meet his wife and other family members at the Emergency room. Things happen, people have bad days.........it happens to all of us. The good news is that his child is fine and nothing negative came from the medical issue which led them to the Emergency Room.

WB, if you have had a decent relationship with the dealer, it might be worth having a frank discussion with your dealer before switching to a new dealer, which has unknowns of their own. Tell them "you sense a difference in your recent visits to the dealership and that your business doesn't seem to be the priority to them it once was"......(This is a nice, non confrontational way of complementing them for their prior attention to your relationship and letting them know you noticed their extra effort and simultaneously saying something is now wrong and needs to be addressed.) It's easier for them to respond to than perhaps saying what you are thinking, which is "What the "***&" happened to this place"?

Remember, "you always catch more flies with honey that you will with vinegar"..........

1 - 13 of 13 Posts