Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was doing an oil change on the wife's Jeep and I noticed it needs a new air filter. What should I get for a replacement? I'm also not looking to a cold air intake or any thing like that. I know K&N's oil/gauze was once thought to be the cat's pajamas is there something better now days?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
18,331 Posts
I am NOT a K&N fan, not at all. I like OEM or OEM style filters myself. Interesting note, my local Toyota dealers sells air and oil filters cheaper than the auto parts store...

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I am not a fan of k&n either. Riding dirt bikes most of my life, and reading dirt bike magazines all those years , I've read a lot of reviews None of them were favorable . In a dirt environment, you need the best filtration, not best airflow. Those two items very rarity go together. My jeep is mostly on road. But the dust when I do get it off-road is bad.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Another that likes the OEM style filters. And, being in an area that can be fairly dry, especially in recent years, I change mine VERY regularly. Sometimes every 6,000 in the 7.3 and every 10,000 on my inline 6. I don't wait for them to "look dirty", because pollen and other things can be small enough to make a difference, before it builds up enough to see it. But I am a bit overboard on filters, grease, etc., because I think it saves me in the long run.

Note: I do not trade vehicles every 4 years. My "newest" truck is 12 years old, and the older one is 23 years old.

Reactions: OxPath

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
I won't run a K&N or other type reusable filter in any of my personal equipment or vehicles. Seen too many diesel engines get dusted and trashed, I'll take better filtration over allegedly better flow. I run factory paper filters in everything but the truck, it has a Ford severe duty intake on it designed for nasty environments.

·
Administrator
20,905 Posts
When my air filters get dirty, I flip them over and continue to use them. They clean up and last longer that way.:lol:

Ok, seriously, I'm not a fan of the K&N style either after I found out they don't meet the minimum filtration standards set for my Cummins and other engines in the fleet.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I am not a fan of K&N filters either, so I just stick with OEM myself for my vehicles and outdoor equipment. On the lawnmowers I usually wait for the tree and grass pollen to get back to low levels and then do my air filter changes.

I will also blow out the air filter using the air compressor until my normal filter change time.

·
Registered
12,091 Posts
I'll admit that I wasted my money on ONE K&N filter. Saw no difference on power or economy. Now I stick with OEM paper.

On my 445, I change the paper filter each spring and change the sponge wrap two or three times throughout the summer.

Just like us humans, our equipment needs clean air to breathe also.

·
Registered
770 Posts
The old standby pleated paper filter, is hard to beat, without giving up something important.

From what I have gleaned over the years, and from another site I frequent that is full of anal retentive engineer types, Wix is at the top of the game.

I order filters for everything around March, and about the same time Wix filters go on sale.:lol:

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
I've always liked Wix filters,both oil and air. I believe Napa Gold is a repackaged Wix.
Another vote for the Wix filters. All my grandfather would use on the tractors and farm vehicles growing up. Used to take my car to a small repair shop in Iowa that would only use the Wix filters because they were the best.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I've always liked Wix filters,both oil and air. I believe Napa Gold is a repackaged Wix.
NAPA Gold is the only filters you will find on my vehicles. They are all either Wix or Donaldson and I have never had an oil analysis come back bad.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts