Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I changed my primary air filter and both Fuel Filters. I have 200 hours and a year on them. Its a 2016 1025. The fuel filters look good but my air filter was pretty dirty. The air filter I will change twice a year. Once at the beginning of spring and once during the middle of summer approximately.
I probably will change the secondary filter sooner and more often. I can't see what it looks like very good.
Just thought I'd share some pictures. I like pictures, and I know most of you do to.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
972 Posts
I go by the red suction device on the filter housing for when to change air filters. It pops red when they get dirty, and you push the button at the top to reset it.

·
Premium Member
13,351 Posts
I go by the red suction device on the filter housing for when to change air filters. It pops red when they get dirty, and you push the button at the top to reset it.
As long as you're still physically checking once in awhile. Big trucks have them too and I've checked plenty on services that indicated good to go and pull the air filter anyway and they looked like a 1000 miles of dirt road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Reminds me of the guy that told his doctor that he couldn't afford the operation. The doctor said, "OK, I'll just touch up the X-rays.":lol::mocking:

I know it's a sin, but I've found I don't need anywhere near a new primary air filter annually... However I do change it that often plus blow it out a several times in the summer. New one goes in for snow season and, for some reason, stays clean until I start the summer chores again.
:laugh:

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Reminds me of the guy that told his doctor that he couldn't afford the operation. The doctor said, "OK, I'll just touch up the X-rays.":lol::mocking:

I know it's a sin, but I've found I don't need anywhere near a new primary air filter annually... However I do change it that often plus blow it out a several times in the summer. New one goes in for snow season and, for some reason, stays clean until I start the summer chores again.

I wouldn't recommend blowing out air filters. Compressed air pressure blows holes into the filter material that ruins them. Then will allow dirt to enter the intake. Especially the finer particles that still do damage. I'd also recommend replacing them as a set or pair. New filters will end up being way cheaper than a costly engine overhaul.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
If it looks dirty it is dirty,change it.If it looks like it needs to be blown out it needs changing.I don't trust the indicator I've seen a filter plugged with a mouse nest and the indicator not tripped.

·
Registered
22,711 Posts
When I worked as an operator for the state they were very strict about air cleaners/filters.

Do not open the canister and "look" at the filter.
Do not tap the filter to clean it.
Do not use compressed air to clean it.

Any filter maintenance was to be done in the shop by a tech.

Donaldson seem to ageee with this -

·
Premium Member
972 Posts

Maybe we start a collection, so you can afford not to do that.:laugh:

I do that with my my 30 year old shop vac, not an engine...:dunno:

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
As long as you're still physically checking once in awhile. Big trucks have them too and I've checked plenty on services that indicated good to go and pull the air filter anyway and they looked like a 1000 miles of dirt road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The indicator should in a vast majority of cases be a good measure of when to change them. Appearance is probably the worst indication. A dirty looking filter is actually more efficient and effective at filtering than a new clean one-the "dirty" one has the larger pores in the filter media filled with dirt and only passes clean air thru the much smaller non plugged holes in the media. As long as the engine is getting enough flow, which the indicator should tell you, leave it there.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I added the restriction indicator to both of my 1025r for all the reasons the Donaldson training video link posed by coaltrain referenced. There was thread on adding the indicator and affordable sources to obtain them a few months ago.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Unfortunately DEERE chinced on everything beyond the 1026R. Restriction indicator is 65 bucks if you want it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Maybe we start a collection, so you can afford not to do that.

I do that with my my 30 year old shop vac, not an engine...:dunno:
Yeah a Go Fund Me site for HH!

·
Registered
22,711 Posts

·
Registered
2,022 Posts

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I wouldn't recommend blowing out air filters. Compressed air pressure blows holes into the filter material that ruins them. Then will allow dirt to enter the intake. Especially the finer particles that still do damage. I'd also recommend replacing them as a set or pair. New filters will end up being way cheaper than a costly engine overhaul.
I'm not exactly running 120lbs line pressure out the gun... If you aren't comfortable cleaning out the filter, buy new more often. And that "Mr. Donaldson"? HE is SELLING NEW filter$.

Yeah a Go Fund Me site for HH!

AND, make sure it will also cover that fancy new loader and backhoe along the new machine equipped with the new filters.:laugh:

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I'm not exactly running 120lbs line pressure out the gun... If you aren't comfortable cleaning out the filter, buy new more often. And that "Mr. Donaldson"? HE is SELLING NEW filter$

Hay it's your engine and it's funeral.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I'm not exactly running 120lbs line pressure out the gun... If you aren't comfortable cleaning out the filter, buy new more often. And that "Mr. Donaldson"? HE is SELLING NEW filter$

Hay it's your engine and it's funeral.
I will long be buried under the ol' oak tree before this machine ever dies from dust. It may die from something, but not dust missed by the air filter.

·
Registered
968 Posts
In the old days before all the gadgets that controll our thinking didn't one just replace the filter when it looks like it needs replacing?

The next thing will be an alarm on the toilet when to flush it or a buzzer on the garbage under the sink to indicate it's full and needs to be taken out.

Just a little common sense is all that needs to remain in this world.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
In the old days before all the gadgets that controll our thinking didn't one just replace the filter when it looks like it needs replacing?

The next thing will be an alarm on the toilet when to flush it or a buzzer on the garbage under the sink to indicate it's full and needs to be taken out.

Just a little common sense is all that needs to remain in this world.
Actually, adding the "gadget" IS common sense. The "gadget" alerts you to when the air filter requires changing by detecting when a vacuum is created, which occurs when the filter begins to become restricted. This prevents changing the filter prematurely or changing it too late which degrades engines performance.

The common sense is saving dollars. The gadget cost less than the primary air filter alone. If you are even remotely proactive about maintenance, you'll save that quickly in the filter savings. If your lax about maintenance and run stuff to death, you'll save that in fuel costs alone from not operating with diminished performance.

So why I whole heartedly agree with you that there is a LOT of things in this world that are not needed for folks with common sense.....there is no shortage of just plain brain dead people out there. This "gadget" is common sense.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts