Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Transmission....:gizmo:

Weird happenings this morning. Started the truck up, drove down to the barn to feed horses. Was inside for about 10 min, loaded hay in the bed and no forward gears anymore. Reverse still working. Limped it out of the way.

Now I'm researching my next tranny. Glad I actually got a bonus from work this year....

While it's down I've got a few other items on the list I'll be fixing/upgrading.
  1. New Transmission
  2. Gauges
  3. Exhaust
  4. Chip/Controller
  5. Fix Turbo Pedastal leak
  6. New Bumpers
  7. ....

Oye vey.....:flag_of_truce:

·
Administrator
18,008 Posts
Ford?

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,266 Posts
Chevy??

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
BTS builds a heck of a transmission for your truck. :good2:

If you're doing up pipes, Dorman makes a bellowed kit thats way cheaper than International. I just put it on mine a few weeks ago, didn't have any fit or finish problems like some of the early kits did. I'd definitely do it while the transmission is out, even if your aren't leaking right now. There's no easier way to do it. I did mine with the trans, turbo, and downpipe all installed. It's manageable, but it's tough.

Are you going with the non-ebpv turbo pedestal?

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BTS builds a heck of a transmission for your truck. :good2:

If you're doing up pipes, Dorman makes a bellowed kit thats way cheaper than International. I just put it on mine a few weeks ago, didn't have any fit or finish problems like some of the early kits did. I'd definitely do it while the transmission is out, even if your aren't leaking right now. There's no easier way to do it. I did mine with the trans, turbo, and downpipe all installed. It's manageable, but it's tough.

Are you going with the non-ebpv turbo pedestal?
Brian @ BTS is on my short list.

Thanks for info about the up pipes. I'd been thinking about MBRP 4" in that black finish they make now. Maybe a Walker BTM.

Forgot to add the intake to my list. Probably end up doing the severe duty ais.

I am looking at the ebpv delete since I'll have it all apart.

Oh yeah, I need to do glow plugs too.

I can't complain really, I've had the truck almost 15 years and really never had any big ticket items.

Why couldn't this happen in spring/summer ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
20,730 Posts
AIS? What's that?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,512 Posts
ZachinCO, Is it an automatic? Years ago no forward gears but reverse worked was a pretty good indication the fluid was extremely low. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
AIS? What's that?
Ford Severe Duty Air Intake System. It's a factory option that's still available from the dealers as an add on intake. It filters better than anything on the market, flows as well as the aftermarket oiled air filters, and the elements last between 60-80,000 miles usually. The only downside is replacement filter cost, I think the last filter element I bought was close to $80. It's worth it though, because they last a long time and nothing protects the engine better.

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ZachinCO, Is it an automatic? Years ago no forward gears but reverse worked as a pretty good indication the fluid was extremely low. :dunno:
Yes it's an auto.
Didn't even have a chance to check. I'll have to when I get back home.

Weird thing is I never saw any leak.

I hope you're right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,512 Posts
Yes it's an auto.
Didn't even have a chance to check. I'll have to when I get back home.

Weird thing is I never saw any leak.

I hope you're right.
For your sake I hope you're a good hoper.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I'm surprised that nobody guessed Dodge. The 47rh/re transmissions are not exactly known for their ability to go the distance.

It may just need to have the valve body cleaned out. No point in replacing the whole thing if all it needs is a good
scrub! Personally, I'd rather spend a little money on a new valve body or a mild rebuild than a whole new transmission. As good as BTS trannies are, a bolt-on only modified 7.3 doesn't really need a 'built' transmission unless you are spraying nitrous, running multiple turbos, towing houses, or driving like a high school kid on his way to 'see' his girlfriend. You will probably throw a rod before you snap an input shaft.

Then again, if you have never had a chance to drive a diesel truck with a low-stall torque converter and a snappy valve body, you are missing out on a lot of fun!

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,320 Posts
I'm surprised that nobody guessed Dodge.
I was going to say "it", but remembered when mom would wash my mouth with soap when I said bad words. :lolol:

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sadly it's not the fluid level. I checked today and it's ok as far as the level goes. However, the smell didn't lead me down the path I was hoping for.

So, back to the new transmission it sounds like.

Oye vey!

·
Administrator
20,730 Posts
It is a Ford.... It keeps you out of the bars right?

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
Sadly it's not the fluid level. I checked today and it's ok as far as the level goes. However, the smell didn't lead me down the path I was hoping for.

So, back to the new transmission it sounds like.

Oye vey!

The good news is, if you go with a BTS you can pretty much guarantee this won't happen again. Isn't his warranty something like "I don't care what you do to it, you wont break it ever. So we'll warranty it that long."

Granted I haven't checked in a few years, but I know he was building some pulling transmissions that were behind really serious power.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts