Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's raining. I can't do work, and I'm waiting for maintenance supplies coming tomorrow. So time to play with lights. LED replacement bulbs in the headlights, work lights, flashers, and taillights. And added some side facing lights I had laying around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4Ew6UKbQJA

The OEM headlights and fender work lights are normal automotive #862 bulbs, despite having a special green part number. Usually used for fog lights on cars and trucks. They are 38 watts each. The LED replacement uses only 5 watts. This is a total 11 amp load reduction on the alternator and battery.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NJ9MZH0

The OEM flashers are normal automotive #1156 bulbs. They are 27 watts each. The LED replacement uses only 8 watts each. And they are significantly brighter and more attention getting with the snappy on-off. I actually had these in the headlights of my 425 and swapped them into the 1026r this morning. The only issue is you will get the bulb warning on the dash when the flashers are on. I don't really care. If you have a 1025r, I presume this is the same bulb used for the red tail light?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H54SP6O

For the 1026r's tiny little red tail light, that is a normal automotive #194 bulb. They use 4 watts each. The LED replacements are 2 watts each and definitely brighter.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018GYRGH6/

In total, this is a 13 amp load off the alternator/battery. All of the lights are now brighter and more effective. And frankly it looks really sharp IMO.

Then I also had some LED marker lights laying around in a box. So I put them into the sides of the flasher/tails on the ROPS. Red marker light comes on with the taillight. And the amber marker flashes with the flasher.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks for sharing! Have you noticed the headlights being brighter?

Curious if there are flasher bulbs available that won’t trigger the bulb warning.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Fantastic post!!!! Thank you for your efforts in identifying the led replacements and posting links!

Reactions: Bill56

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for sharing! Have you noticed the headlights being brighter?

Curious if there are flasher bulbs available that won’t trigger the bulb warning.
You probably won't find bulbs of this type that handle it due to the heat it would generate. I also don't want to install load resistors, which would also satisfy the control unit, since that would defeat the reduced load on the alternator.

I'll take some pictures once it gets dark.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's a panorama of the headlights and work lights. And a shot of the tractor. Best I can do in the cold rain wearing shorts and sandles.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
13a. is a significant savings. I can hear my 1026 pull down a bit turning on the forward lights @ idle. Should make for more winter torque for plowing/blowing snow.

So, watt do you plan to do with the extra whats?:laugh:

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
309 Posts
Wow! Great post! Im assuming these LED bulbs would also work on a 1025r? Specifically a 2016. :).
Anyone have experience with them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
315 Posts
This has got to be the mod of the year. So simple a caveman can do it. I just finished the 4 forward facing lights in under 15 minutes using only a small blade screwdriver. I have never had the lights apart before this. The old bulbs went into the 2 bags that the new ones came in. If I ever “trade the 1025r “ in I will swap them back. The amount of light they produce is higher, never mine the amps saved. Having a Curtis cab now I think radio and speakers without thinking power draw. :thumbup1gif:

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
This has got to be the mod of the year. So simple a caveman can do it. I just finished the 4 forward facing lights in under 15 minutes using only a small blade screwdriver. I have never had the lights apart before this. The old bulbs went into the 2 bags that the new ones came in. If I ever “trade the 1025r “ in I will swap them back. The amount of light they produce is higher, never mine the amps saved. Having a Curtis cab now I think radio and speakers without thinking power draw. :thumbup1gif:
What bulbs are those?

And are the bulbs all the same (headlights, side lights, rops work lights)?

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What bulbs are those? And are the bulbs all the same (headlights, side lights, rops work lights)?
See the first post :) Headlights and fender work lights are the same. I don't have ROPS work lights. However I would be willing to bet they're the same.

·
Registered
84 Posts
See the first post :) Headlights and fender work lights are the same. I don't have ROPS work lights. However I would be willing to bet they're the same.
The first post calls them an 862. However, when you click the amazon link it brings you to bulbs that are 880, 881 and 921.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lots of numbers are the same design and get summarized with one common number. That is the correct LED replacement for it that I used.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The ROPS LED lights are completely different. I don't think there is a way to replace them without replacing the whole assembly.

Kevin.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The ROPS LED lights are completely different. I don't think there is a way to replace them without replacing the whole assembly.
If the lights JD has for the ROPS on the 1025 are already LED, then this would certainly be moot for those. No need to replace them if they're already LEDs. Does the 1025R come with ROPS work lights, or is it an add-on option?

·
Registered
84 Posts
If the lights JD has for the ROPS on the 1025 are already LED, then this would certainly be moot for those. No need to replace them if they're already LEDs. Does the 1025R come with ROPS work lights, or is it an add-on option?
I have a 1026r and it has 8 lights in total. None are LED. The battery light comes on at idle when the lights are on.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a 1026r and it has 8 lights in total. None are LED. The battery light comes on at idle when the lights are on.
If you have a 1026, then you can do what I did in the original post. Headlights, fender work lights, flashers, and tail lights. If you have other lights in addition to what I have (such as work lights on the ROPS), and they are not already LEDs, then you'll have to take the bulb out to see what it is. I can only guess they are the same as the fender lights, but you will need to check for yourself to see.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
The first post calls them an 862. However, when you click the amazon link it brings you to bulbs that are 880, 881 and 921.

Read the description on Amazon,

"Fits:881, 889, 862, 886, 889, 894, 896, 898"

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
For 2018, I can't speak to other years but assume it is the same, there is a "premium LED light kit" available which included ROPs, fender, and PTO LED lights. That may be what he's referring to. It's expensive compared to replacement bulbs or ordering LED lights aftermarket, but with 0%, I ordered it with my tractor anyway.

Reactions: Emeribd
1 - 20 of 45 Posts