Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most all of it made in China. Just the Lucas Transmission fix and the Lisle spark plug chaser were made here. If we ever get in a war with china we will surely lose, they even manufacture our soldiers military gear today and have access to America's weapons companies intellectual property. Hard to believe it's just a trade thing, and something more sinister and sobering is not evolving from it, like world government at some point..

Attachments

Registered
tackit:
I agree. It is very difficult to buy anything made in America. I have been trying to buy an American made garden hose nozzle. TSC sells only made in China and they are crap. We have so few manufacturing jobs, because so much is foreign made. Then, we wonder why unemployment is so high. I realize that we are dealing with a global economy, but why do we sell excellent American made products (farm and industrial equipment, cars, trucks and MILITARY equipment) and get inferior products in return? Our government leaders don't get it.

I do have to disagree with you on the US at war with China. If the politicans leave the American military alone and let them fight, American ingenuity can defeat anyone. Now, that I think about it, the politicians will not leave the American military alone. You are right - we're screwed.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tackit:
I agree. It is very difficult to buy anything made in America. I have been trying to buy an American made garden hose nozzle. TSC sells only made in China and they are crap. We have so few manufacturing jobs, because so much is foreign made. Then, we wonder why unemployment is so high. I realize that we are dealing with a global economy, but why do we sell excellent American made products (farm and industrial equipment, cars, trucks and MILITARY equipment) and get inferior products in return? Our government leaders don't get it.

I do have to disagree with you on the US at war with China. If the politicans leave the American military alone and let them fight, American ingenuity can defeat anyone. Now, that I think about it, the politicians will not leave the American military alone. You are right - we're screwed.

I remember this from Nikita Khrushchev "Back in the midst of the Cold War, Soviet premier Nikita Khrushchev, sneering at the Western powers, once said, "We will hang you ... and you will sell us the rope." For a philosophy based on economic determinism, it's amazing how willingly Marxism-Leninism's exponents would concede production superiority to their despised enemy, capitalism.

Today he would say "we will hang you and you will sell us your best chinese made rope." :laugh:

Premium Member
Chairman Mao couldn't beat us with a failed political philosophy; but the sound you hear coming from his grave is him laughing his ass off that China is beating us at our own game of capitalism.

Granted China's version of capitalism is heavily subsidized by their government, and they turn a blind eye towards shoddy crap being made for their market and the world's until they're caught.

Remember, free trade is not the same thing as fair trade.

Premium Member
In the end, we have the power, don't buy it, it will quickly change the standard. Just my 2 cents.

Registered
Randy.. Even the gear box on the mx series rough mowers are made in china.. It's everywhere.. I bet it would be easy to find made in china parts on all our tractors...:thumbsdown:

Premium Member
Randy.. Even the gear box on the mx series rough mowers are made in china.. It's everywhere.. I bet it would be easy to find made in china parts on all our tractors...:thumbsdown:
TG,

You are correct, there is no way to entirely escape it now.

Premium Member
Made in China is like a virus that spreads and mutates.

Premium Member
Y'all are in for it now, I've got a "2nd cup of coffee morning bend" festerin' up in me... :nunu:

Many times when I should know better, I try to figure out what the phrase "global economy" means. Something that caught my eye recently is this gem. Intel (the chip company) has to build a new plant for their chips every few years as they get the line sizes (smallest geometry they can make) down and therefore the circuit density goes up. Well, for their next plant they are looking at Viet Nam. China is too expensive.

So I think that 20 years ago it was Japan, then Korea, now China, soon Viet Nam. There is always some emerging country that has cheap labor, low mandatory per worker costs (unemployment, health care, retirement, vacation, maternity leave, etc) and lower environmental costs. And these countries have a wide range of quality. High when the contractors specs are high, supervision is high, and testing of incoming product happens. Low if it's a bunch of MBAs buying solely on price.

And for what it's worth, we invented this game in the US. There is a company in this area that makes axles for cars. The ones made for a Japanese company cost more. They have tighter specs and tolerances, and have to change the tooling out more often to keep it tolorance. The axles made for a domestic manufacture have lower tolerances and cost less. Side note: When I'm around machinists, I always say "slop" instead of "tolerance" just to rile them up a bit. I know, hard to believe I'd do that :mocking:.
Anyway, the textile mills in the north moved work to the south because labor was cheaper (and that's not slave labor, that was paid labor). Labor laws in Massachusetts increased the cost of workers, and the textile mills were getting in trouble for polluting the rivers.

So while I agree with the chinacom comments, regrettably this is nothing new. And to a degree the US brings this on ourselves with our WallMart "race to the bottom" mentality. Buying things at a price so low that the products can't be made in this country. Couple that with increased benefits and protection for workers from both government and unions and is it any wonder we've price manual labor intensive production overseas. The best of intentions as far as taking care of people, but simple economics says the more you help the more you hurt. If this were an equation, there would be a peak point where worker benefits balance worker cost and domestic production is maximized.

I'd love to go on about how automation of factories and a better trained workforce is key and pontificate on the meaning of what a "service society" is (Hint: Making money doing each others laundry). But I'll stop here. Disappointed but not surprised by this trend, I think this is why the middle class is going away, and I have no idea how to fix it.

But yeah, hey, too much made in China that is of poor quality and too little purchased from the USA because it cost too much (only in the short run, in the long run cheap stuff from China is the most expensive things US citizens buy).

Time for final cup of coffee and then have to get back to my circuit board software (which is written in Australia because US programmers cost too much...) :unknown:.

Pete :morning2:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good post Pete.

Some people wanting it more than others has always been at the heart of invention and socioeconomic success. Having a level playing field is nolonger possible now that education, automation, distribution and third world poverty have teamed up.

The next time you think you deserve a raise remember this picture.....:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Attachments

Premium Member
Please see interspersed comments.

Intel (the chip company) has to build a new plant for their chips every few years as they get the line sizes (smallest geometry they can make) down and therefore the circuit density goes up. Well, for their next plant they are looking at Viet Nam. China is too expensive.

I'm building a new graphics PC and the two Intel Xeon 5600 series CPU's I bought were made in Costa Rica. A couple of years ago I bought some wood shims from Ace. They were well made and cut all the way through unlike Home Despot's that leave a ridge that needs to be trimmed off. The shims came from South Africa. Africa will be the last big supplier of cheap labor.

So while I agree with the chinacom comments, regrettably this is nothing new. And to a degree the US brings this on ourselves with our WallMart "race to the bottom" mentality. Buying things at a price so low that the products can't be made in this country. Couple that with increased benefits and protection for workers from both government and unions and is it any wonder we've price manual labor intensive production overseas. The best of intentions as far as taking care of people, but simple economics says the more you help the more you hurt. If this were an equation, there would be a peak point where worker benefits balance worker cost and domestic production is maximized.

There is a ballot measure this Novemeber in the People's Republic of Denver mandating that businesses offer 9 paid sick days a year for companies with 20+ employees, and 5 sick days for firms with <20 on the payroll. I wish this was a perfect world where everyone had paid sick time available to them; but the reality of the situation is that most companies won't be able to afford this, and will have to pass on the costs to their customers, move out of the PRD, or close up shop. I'm glad I don't live in Denver proper.

http://www.9news.com/news/article/211448/188/Heated-debate-begins-over-Denver-sick-time-proposal

But yeah, hey, too much made in China that is of poor quality and too little purchased from the USA because it cost too much (only in the short run, in the long run cheap stuff from China is the most expensive things US citizens buy).

My biggest gripe with all the ChiCom crap besides low quality is that the choice to buy American, Canadian, European, Japanese made products as an alternative is rapidly disappearing.

Time for final cup of coffee and then have to get back to my circuit board software (which is written in Australia because US programmers cost too much...) :unknown:.

Do the electrons go CCW down the VIA's down under, and CW north of the equator? :laugh:

Pete :morning2:

Registered
Please see interspersed comments.

The non-china choices are dissapearing because for too long many people would always buy the cheapest version of what they were looking for. When the non-china choices didn't sell, the companies could no longer offer the product and stopped. So basically china low-balled it's way into a monopoly.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Peoples wages haven't been keeping up with inflation is why many are looking to buy the cheapest goods they can find.

If you don't count: food, health insurance, doctor visits, medicine, gas for the car, fuel for tractors, dentists bills, LP gas, college loans, the cost of building materials, cost of fertilizer and chemicals there is no inflation.... people working minimum wage jobs should be living on easy street.

Always working behind the scene world planners (Central Banksters) and their powerful NWO organizations have allot to do with our debt situation. Our sovereignty and monetary independence will not be tolerated by them... They want to make it so everything must pass through their greedy hands.

Remember this 1982 song by my favorite country singer Merle Haggard...... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbyjGy9_mU0&feature=related

Premium Member
The non-china choices are dissapearing because for too long many people would always buy the cheapest version of what they were looking for. When the non-china choices didn't sell, the companies could no longer offer the product and stopped. So basically china low-balled it's way into a monopoly.
It's a damn vicious circle.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
1 - 15 of 15 Posts