Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Nice looking setup! Nice looking garage too! Is that ice chopper going to clear your door opening?

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Nice setup,I never seen Terra grips on the front,good idea.:good2:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice looking setup! Nice looking garage too! Is that ice chopper going to clear your door opening?
Ha, the ice chopper is for scrapping the outdoor rink I make for the kids
I should make a Zamboni attachment for this thing!
Just waiting for it to get cold enough now to put the liner and boards in, then fill it.

Attachments

·
Corndog Hater
11,773 Posts
That is one sharp looking snow fighting machine Gooch. Thanks for the pics.:good2:

·
Premium Member
12,656 Posts
Not allowed where we live. Against code.
I have a shed with a wooden floor so I don't have a drain either. I use a heavy rubber mat similar to yours except mine has ribs that run lengthwise that helps to keep the water trapped. I think mine is 9' x 15' or so. It really helps to contain the melted snow and also prevents my chains from chewing up the floor. I only put it down for winter. I'm into my 5th winter with it and it is holding up great.

·
Administrator
18,274 Posts
Same here...The county guy even cringed a bit when I mentioned it while applying for permits :banghead:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a shed with a wooden floor so I don't have a drain either. I use a heavy rubber mat similar to yours except mine has ribs that run lengthwise that helps to keep the water trapped. I think mine is 9' x 15' or so. It really helps to contain the melted snow and also prevents my chains from chewing up the floor. I only put it down for winter. I'm into my 5th winter with it and it is holding up great.
Yeah, I use that big rubber mat from Costco then use 2x4 all around to make a water catch. Use the shop vac to suck it up

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Glad I don't have that issue.
Last garage didn't have a drain just because the previous owner wasn't smart enough to put it in when he built it.
Oh and the slab sloped AWAY from the doors, so everything ran toward the house and back wall of the garage... What a mess!
I wore out a squeegee in 2 years trying to keep it somewhat decent in there.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Glad to see people are getting everything ready for winter snow removal. I got my tractor and blower all set up and parked in my next door neighbor's heated shop for the winter so he can keep his and my driveways open. I on the other hand am 1,350 miles south in the Texas Hill country riding my trike and camping for the next several months. Enjoy your winter everyone.

Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
How are you attaching the snow shovel and ice chisel? How about some close up photos of that?

Yes, they cringe on floor drains in a garage. You need an explosive fluids trap. If you have a gasoline or other flammable liquids spill in the garage and it flows into the floor drain, you 'll have explosive fumes coming up the vent lines in the home. If they ignite, they could create an explosion or fire within the home.

I installed one in this home and a trough style floor drain that runs the length of the garage about 2' in from the overhead doors. It works great. I also have heated floors. So the melt off from the vehicles runs to the floor drain and the heated floor dries it up fairly quickly.

I also have a sand trap in the trough floor drain. Every other year I have to pull the grate covers off the floor drain and clean the sand out of the bottom of it.

In our last home, my brother poured the garage floor with out installing a French drain that I was emphatic about before hand. While the floor was sloped toward the garage doors and I didn't heat that garage, I did insulate and drywalled it. So with that, the garage temp was always above freezing unless the outdoor temp was -25F or colder. So the vehicles melted off every night and it was a mess every morning. I'd scramble to squeegee it out the door and then off the driveway before it froze into a sheet of ice. It was a royal pain.

Our other home has a French drain in the garage, but no type of sand trap. (I didn't build that one, it was a foreclosure we acquired.) In time, probably not my in lifetime, it'll fill up with sand. I wonder if a septic tank pumper would not have enough suction to pull up the sand?

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
That is the most winter ready scut I have ever seen! :cheers:

You are "All Ready For Winter" ....I "Am All Ready Sick of Winter"....:flag_of_truce:....and its nor even winter yet!:flag_of_truce:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts