Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, my gas cap exploded on my X300. Here are the circumstances.

Mowing for 2 hours through somewhat thick grass.

Half a tank of gas left.

Just completed a couple of donuts at full speed while mowing around a 20 foot diameter tree.

The gas cap exploded into 3 pieces and flew about 30 feet, probably right over me.

Has anyone heard of this happening?. I will probably stop every 20 minutes or so now to check. Needless to say I am really gun shy. There is nothing on this mower between the gas cap and my head.

The dealer say that the air hole in the cap being plugged would not cause this because it only allows air in.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
There are 2 tank styles. Do you have a vent at the rear of the tank, right behind the fuel cap? If so, it has a check valve and may be stuck.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
I found this nugget in the engineering notes.
x300.JPG
Does your fuel cap ratchet?

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
The EPA regulations are limiting vented fuel tanks. An extreme temp change could cause pressure build up. If the machine was parked in a cool spot then taken out and used in the hot sun, I could see this happening.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all

I will check to see if my tank is vented when I return home this weekend. I doubt it because it's very new and like you've stated that the EPA is limited venting on gas tanks. The temps were very cool and steady, that was a good suggestion but ruled out. There was extreme agitiation, on a 2 hour lawn mow job, I like to do a little formula one racing around pine trees. Nothing wrong with that but not worth a hole in the head I guess.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Just an FYI. All of the X300s in our showroom are vented.

sent from my cell via tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts