Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tested orange vs green. 1025 vs 2370

Lots I like about orange. Hate how painful it is go get attachments on off. Did like the consistent positive comments from owners include those local to us.

I've upgrading from a 20yr old craftsman lawn tractor that has been equipped with snow blower against our 700ft very steep driveway (paved). I'm tires of having trouble making it up hill with 2wd/chains.

I do like implement simplicity for on off on the JD. Concerns below. Feedback welcome.

1- don't care for the plastic hood etc. concerned about how long it will last esp in the cold
2- hate the rio. My wife has way too many gardens to work around. I do see there are mods to fix this.
3- scalping issues reported. See there may be possible mods.
4- I would like the grass catcher. The overall width is up to 72" now. Is there any other options that are lower profile.
5- I see a number of new owner have had differential lock issues.
6- I'm buying the snowblower but I hear I have to take off quick connect each season to handle the snowblower pto.
7- I've been to 3 dealers. 2 won't deliver as part of the deal (want me to pick up) and the other won't give me the time of day as they primarily sell commercial. Feels like Auto dealers. Wishing I could buy like a Tesla...
8- didn't care for plastic parts in snowblower.

Anyway leaning toward the 1025 but still not 100% sure. Going to make the decision Tuesday.

Any feedback on the above concerns and any other thoughts would be good. Orange is still a real option considering the above concerns.

Should I be considering 2 series instead. Seems a bit big for our property.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I did the same comparison last year. The implement changing ease sold me and has ended up even easier than I thought originally. Now I find the 10 seconds it takes to get off the machine and lock the wheels on the mower a pain!

The use of plastics I find to be more appropriate for the use than steel. I'm not going to have rust in the future. Looked at a new car lately?

RIO is a pain but easly to disable. Huge time saver when disabled, ay least for me.

I have a scalping issue, but I also have it with my honda pushmower. My land is VERY rough, hilly, with a lot of drainage lowspots and mounds over buried rock. For what I am working with, not sure I can really evaluate.

Cockpit I found to be much more comfortable. I'm 6'2". The 2000 series was too cramped and I never seemed to get comfortable on an Orange. Seat and armrests on the 1025R fit like a glove once I added heavier springs.

Good luck. Both good machines.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'll second pretty much everything Fred just said (though I have no significant
scalping issues), and add a bit about the snowblower. Last year we had a few
good-sized storms in the Hudson Valley, and the plow pile-up at the end of my
driveway (and in front of my mailboxes) was pretty brutal. But my 1025R just
chewed right through it, icy chunks and all, without so much as a single shear
pin snapping. Time will tell, but this blower seems decently built where it counts.

Mine was an upgrade from a 10-year-old JD L130, pretty much the same deal
as your Craftsman. The difference on slope work is night and day -- whatever
SCUT you end up with, you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

A friend has the 2 series -- he likes the extra ground clearance, but in every
other respect seems to prefer my 1025R (every time he's on it, I hear how
much better its seat is).

I'm surprised by your experience with the dealers (do you live prohibitively far
away?), mine included delivery (~20 miles) and a friendly and thorough hour
of how-to without me even having to ask. And then followed up with calls
and emails to see how I was making out. Out of everything on your list,
that'd be the item that concerns me the most... there's nothing worse
than feeling like a speck on someone's annual sales report. =/

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
Replies are in BOLD font. I also don't own either a 1025 or a 2370. The opinions expressed here are just that, take them for what they worth.

1- don't care for the plastic hood etc. concerned about how long it will last esp in the cold

The hood on my 318 is from 1988. It has lasted about 25 years. I would think that the new composites would last longer and better than the plastics from the early 80s. Also keep in mind that many automotive manufactures have been using composite body panels for well over a decade. Plastic bounces back and does not rust can't say the same for metal.

2- hate the rio. My wife has way too many gardens to work around. I do see there are mods to fix this.

RIO keeps the lawyers happy. JD has implemented the safety in such a way that the average tractor owner can bypass the system with one small piece of wire or a clothespin

3- scalping issues reported. See there may be possible mods.

IMHO, this is a setup issue on most cases and is brought on by the dealer failing to properly setup the deck in the first place.

4- I would like the grass catcher. The overall width is up to 72" now. Is there any other options that are lower profile.

No comment

5- I see a number of new owner have had differential lock issues.

Again a minor adjustment issue where JD has decided to error on the side of caution and cause the diff to lock sooner when baking to the point where the diff lock doesn't release. Easily adjusted by the end user or the dealer if the issue arises.

6- I'm buying the snowblower but I hear I have to take off quick connect each season to handle the snowblower pto.

No comment

7- I've been to 3 dealers. 2 won't deliver as part of the deal (want me to pick up) and the other won't give me the time of day as they primarily sell commercial. Feels like Auto dealers. Wishing I could buy like a Tesla...

Check with Mutton Power Equipment. They will ship all over the county and are a supporting vender of this site.

http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/mutton-power-equipment/

8- didn't care for plastic parts in snowblower.

No comment
Good luck whether you green or orange. Just remember orange is not perfect, my neighbor has a 3200 TLB and the stabilizers leak way down way to fast and the local dealer is being a pain about fixing it. Machine is less then a year old. He was also recently told that the hoe is not built by orange but is built by someone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
421 Posts
FWIW... I've had enough problems with JD to recommend going orange. However, #2 (RIO) shouldn't be a concern. I haven't yet jumped the switch but pull up the knob, insert clothespin, and it's done

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I don't regret going green. One thing that surprised me was that once you added and upgraded everything to the orange tractor to make it as equivalent as possible to the green one - the price difference was almost nonexistent.

Orange may have a metal hood, but they have plastic side panels just like green. You can't remove the orange side panels though unless you first remove the brush guard.

Orange has a tredle - ugh! Green has twin pedals - oh so nice.

Green is way ahead on ease of attachment of... attachments. The most difficult thing to attach is the backhoe, it takes at most ten minutes - and that is taking your time. Less than 5 if you need to.

Speaking of backhoes, the orange has real sloppy loose controls, the green is much better.

Orange thinks that using their own engine is somehow better. There is no logic to support this.

Marketing. All marketing can be expected to be skewed these days. In Orange's case they go too far in my opinion. They show bar graphs comparing power that are not actually representative of the real differences. I posted a while back about it, I think I included a picture.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Okay, here's a screen grab of Kubota's torque comparison graph.

They are comparing the torque of the BX2360 against the 1023e. Take note that the graph shows that the Deere has 60% of the torque of Kubota. The reality is that the 1023e has 88%. That green bar that represents Deere should be much higher, even with the top of the dot in "41.4". It is intentionally deceptive.

But wait, there's more. If they compared it to the 1025r - which is actually more comparable to the 2360, the difference would be just a sliver. The 1025r has 40.7 ft-lb torque, 0.7 ft-lbs less. That's a difference of less than 2%. It wouldn't even show on that graph.

In my opinion, this is a blatant misrepresentation.

Here's a link to the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPNl5PEn6Mk

Attachments

·
Registered
421 Posts
I don't regret going green. One thing that surprised me was that once you added and upgraded everything to the orange tractor to make it as equivalent as possible to the green one - the price difference was almost nonexistent.

I've been Green all my life so I'm not saying I regret my JD. Heck, when I was 16 years old my father wanted a Kubota and the JD salesman said he "wouldn't knock Kubota because they are good machines...." Good sales pitch??? I ended up swaying Dad to JD and got a hat!

However, I won't sway someone TO GO green nowadays either

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hey swampthing, Took almost 2 months to decide on green or orange and finally decided on JD. Kubota makes a great compact, but after driving and operating both, Deere won out.
If you are looking in MA, checkout Padula Bros. They are having a good sale on compact tractors - PADULABROTHERS.COM
No affiliation, just saw the deal on their website.

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
Should I be considering 2 series instead. Seems a bit big for our property.

Hard to say without any info on your property or other intended uses. I opted for the 2-series because of ground clearance concerns since I use my tractor in the woods quite a bit. IMO, if your primary concerns and mowing and snow-blowing, the 1-series is probably the right place to look.

btw, I looked hard at the Kubota line when I was deciding too. I just couldn't get the Kubota dealer to give me the time of day when I wanted to buy. Had the same problem with the Cub Cadet/Yanmar dealer.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Tested orange vs green. 1025 vs 2370

Lots I like about orange. Hate how painful it is go get attachments on off. Did like the consistent positive comments from owners include those local to us.

I've upgrading from a 20yr old craftsman lawn tractor that has been equipped with snow blower against our 700ft very steep driveway (paved). I'm tires of having trouble making it up hill with 2wd/chains.

I do like implement simplicity for on off on the JD. Concerns below. Feedback welcome.

The plastic is my biggest complaint with these newer machines. Over time they do get very brittle especially if they spend alot of time in the sun. Mounting tabs will break if you are running on a rough surface and will crack if bumped hard. Replacement cost is way out of line for plastic pieces.

·
Premium Member
7,933 Posts
I would say one of the most important things to consider would be the dealer relationship. Every color can and will break, it's equipment. All manufacturers have issues... Having a dealer to help you is the night and day difference.

As far as the choice between a 1 series and a BX, that will depend a lot on your personal preferences. When I compared the BX to the 2210 and later the 2305 (earlier JD SCUT's) I liked JD better for room and the pedals. I'm 6' tall. Comparing the 2 series Deere to the B series Kubota the differences were minimal. The huge difference was the dealer.

Each will have pro's and con's when it comes to implement attachment. Try and find a dealer or an owner with them so that you can see them and even try them out.

When you find a dealer that will work with you get some seat time. You don't buy a vehicle without test driving it...

As far as the scalping issue goes, it may have to do with width. Where a 72 would scalp, a 60 would not...

Trust your gut and get what you like. You won't go wrong that way. After all it is your hard earned $.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I would say one of the most important things to consider would be the dealer relationship. Every color can and will break, it's equipment. All manufacturers have issues... Having a dealer to help you is the night and day difference.

As far as the choice between a 1 series and a BX, that will depend a lot on your personal preferences. When I compared the BX to the 2210 and later the 2305 (earlier JD SCUT's) I liked JD better for room and the pedals. I'm 6' tall. Comparing the 2 series Deere to the B series Kubota the differences were minimal. The huge difference was the dealer.

Each will have pro's and con's when it comes to implement attachment. Try and find a dealer or an owner with them so that you can see them and even try them out.

When you find a dealer that will work with you get some seat time. You don't buy a vehicle without test driving it...

As far as the scalping issue goes, it may have to do with width. Where a 72 would scalp, a 60 would not...

Trust your gut and get what you like. You won't go wrong that way. After all it is your hard earned $.
This, 100%! Any good dealer will let you run a piece of equipment. Compare them (machine, attachments, etc...) and get what you like, reviews/stats/opinions be damned. Green owners/advertisements will try to sway you their way; Orange owners/advertisements will do the opposite. Only you can find what's right for your situation

·
Administrator
20,359 Posts
If your dealers are equal in the service, sales, parts, and most importantly, customer service departments, then choose what color makes you smile the biggest. Life's too short to go about it any other way.

For me, my dealer sealed the deal. Another dealer nearby had the equipment I had desired in stock, but when phone calls weren't returned and when I was there, I felt like I was always last in line for any help, I lost all desire to continue trying to spend any money there.

There's a saying I heard a long time ago that's very appropriate. I repeat it a lot. "A dollar goes where it's best treated." For me that's very true. John Deere's quality equipment makes it very very easy to keep me returning though. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If your dealers are equal in the service, sales, parts, and most importantly, customer service departments, then choose what color makes you smile the biggest. Life's too short to go about it any other way.

For me, my dealer sealed the deal. Another dealer nearby had the equipment I had desired in stock, but when phone calls weren't returned and when I was there, I felt like I was always last in line for any help, I lost all desire to continue trying to spend any money there.

There's a saying I heard a long time ago that's very appropriate. I repeat it a lot. "A dollar goes where it's best treated." For me that's very true. John Deere's quality equipment makes it very very easy to keep me returning though. :thumbup1gif:
Appreciate all the feedback. The issue is that only one dealer has been responsive. I've left messages for two in our state with not a single call back. The one one that has been responsive (very helpful) is in a neighboring state so won't deliver or provide any support unless I bring the machine back on site 90 minutes and trailer rental. Not sure if this is normal or not. Just doesn't seem like great dealer support after the sale.

I figured that 20+k is too small of a buy for the dealers out here for some reason. The dealer much further away put me right in the seat and spent 2 hrs educating and showing how things work etc. really great. My main concern is the PITA it will be to get back to them with the machine if there is an issue. They have no provision even if I pay to come to me for support.

·
Premium Member
14,114 Posts
I will agree , a dealer can MAKE or Break a deal. I just can't understand how dealers not wanting to or refusing to deliver , it nothing else for the main delivery and maybe the first service call if it is ever needed.
For plastic hood, my SIL has a 2305 with metal hood.. has a very large and deep dent because a rock fell out the back side of the bucket. I have the 1025 and my hood has a scratch about 1-2 " in length and maybe 1/2" wide because of a very large rock , NO dent. Personal thought but I will take the plastic , composite , hood and parts any day over metal parts.
No bad words for the orange machine , but set on it , if buying a fel try one with a fel . If dealer will allow , drive the tractor around the lot see how it handles. Then set on the JD , and again if buying a fel try one and see how much nicer it is to use without stretching your arm out . It will be the same thing using the front blade or snowblower. Control is right at your side, no stretching the arm for 30 min or for 6-8 hrs depending on your needs.
Yes, I traded a older 47 blower for a new one , and I notice the secondary auger is made of plastic type material. Guess I will see how it works this winter. From the others here on site they seem to be happy with the newer design.
Then the attaching and removal of the mower deck , much easier with the JD over the lugging the mower around to get it under the tractor.
I owned a 60" and can say , of the 5 different yards I mowed with it, only one yard it I notice a little scalping . Nothing of any large area or amount.

This is my personal opinion ,, if you have a level lot you will like the 60" deck. if most of your yard is sloping, buy the 54" and you will be a happy camper.
Good luck , on whatever choice you go with and enjoy.

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
Appreciate all the feedback. The issue is that only one dealer has been responsive. I've left messages for two in our state with not a single call back. The one one that has been responsive (very helpful) is in a neighboring state so won't deliver or provide any support unless I bring the machine back on site 90 minutes and trailer rental. Not sure if this is normal or not. Just doesn't seem like great dealer support after the sale.
I'd almost guarantee you that this dealers unwillingness to deliver to you is a tax issue. If they deliver in MA then they have to collect MA sales tax. If they aren't set up with a MA State Tax ID already then they'd have to do all of that. To be honest, if it's for just a handful of sales a year it probably isn't worth it to them. You're going to run into that with a lot of out-of-state dealers. If they aren't right near the border they don't get enough MA business to bother.

Then again, if you buy out of State and don't pay sales tax you're saving $1200+. You're at the point where that could cover for the bulk of the cost for a used trailer.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'd almost guarantee you that this dealers unwillingness to deliver to you is a tax issue. If they deliver in MA then they have to collect MA sales tax. If they aren't set up with a MA State Tax ID already then they'd have to do all of that. To be honest, if it's for just a handful of sales a year it probably isn't worth it to them. You're going to run into that with a lot of out-of-state dealers. If they aren't right near the border they don't get enough MA business to bother.

Then again, if you buy out of State and don't pay sales tax you're saving $1200+. You're at the point where that could cover for the bulk of the cost for a used trailer.
Your probably right about this makes sense. Was happy to buy local if anyone gave me the time of day. Will likely take my chance with the out if state dealer and hope it don't have too many issues I can't fix myself. I can always rent a car trailer for $50 anyway.

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
Your probably right about this makes sense. Was happy to buy local if anyone gave me the time of day. Will likely take my chance with the out if state dealer and hope it don't have too many issues I can't fix myself. I can always rent a car trailer for $50 anyway.
What part of MA are you in?

·
Registered
572 Posts
When I was shopping, no one ever compared the BX 2660 to the 1026R. Merely said that you can get a better deal on the BX 2360. The better deal didn't matter to me if the tractor was lacking horsepower, capacity, seating, lighting, rops folding, AutoConnect, JDQA bucket, quick park loader, position control, twin touch pedals, and rust free body.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts