Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting excited as maple syrup time is approaching for me. Does anyone else here make it as well? Most of my equipment is homemade except for some food grade stainless products. I make around 5 gallons a year for my own use and to give as gifts.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I would love to buy some from you....if you have some excess. I've always wanted to try the real deal

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
:thumbup::thumbup:

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
How much sap do you need to collect for 5 gallons of syrup?????
We only have a few small sugar maples around my yard. I wish we had more because I'd love to make even a gallon.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
We have a local family that does honey and maple syrup and he used to give tours of his maple house every spring. It does take a lot of work/energy to collect and boil down maple syrup, isn't it about 22 or 26:1? In any case, we like dark amber, and our local guy makes a dark amber "for cooking" that is really flavorful.

It's an interesting hobby/profession, and at one time I wanted to try making some on my own. I collected about a half gallon of dripping sap from a low broken limb, filtered it and boiled away until it was thick and sweet. I didn't have a refractometer, so I winged it. Turned out pretty good, but I came to the conclusion that it was easier to buy it from our local guy and help the local economy :laugh:

Good luck with your maple season!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,028 Posts
Thought it to be more like 30 or 40 to 1. Memory is failing though.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Gizmo's memory is correct, I just Googled it. Ratios I read are 32:1 to 50:1. I stand corrected :hi:

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would love to buy some from you....if you have some excess. I've always wanted to try the real deal
RGD you have NEVER had the real stuff? Well, I can tell you it is fantastic! I would be honored to send you some of my syrup. PM me your address and I will ship some out to you.:drinks:

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How much sap do you need to collect for 5 gallons of syrup?????
We only have a few small sugar maples around my yard. I wish we had more because I'd love to make even a gallon.
I do not have sugar maples which yield the best sugar content. I have silver maples so I have to evaporate more sap. My silver maples have to give me around 40-45 gallons of sap to produce 1 gallon of syrup at 68 Brix. Brix is the measurement of sugar content in the sap. To legally sell it as N.H. syrup it must be between 66.9 and 68.9 Brix. I prefer it on the high side of sugar concentration. So to make 5 gallons of syrup I evaporate anywhere between 200 and 250 gallons of sap.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We have a local family that does honey and maple syrup and he used to give tours of his maple house every spring. It does take a lot of work/energy to collect and boil down maple syrup, isn't it about 22 or 26:1? In any case, we like dark amber, and our local guy makes a dark amber "for cooking" that is really flavorful.

It's an interesting hobby/profession, and at one time I wanted to try making some on my own. I collected about a half gallon of dripping sap from a low broken limb, filtered it and boiled away until it was thick and sweet. I didn't have a refractometer, so I winged it. Turned out pretty good, but I came to the conclusion that it was easier to buy it from our local guy and help the local economy :laugh:

Good luck with your maple season!
Thanks for the well wishes Tomfive. It is ALOT of work and can be pretty expensive to produce. Having a hydrometer and digital temperature gauge aids in getting the syrup boiling just right. Sap turns into syrup at 7.1 degrees above the boiling point of water at your specific altitude. So around here I have to "finish" the syrup at around 219.5 degrees.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,028 Posts
fuelhog2000, I have friends around me that boil every year, big time. I have boil many times myself way back when but on a very small scale. Post up some pictures if ya get a chance for all to marvel.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,028 Posts
We have 103 taps on the property and got over 1000 gallons so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Right down the road from me.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,028 Posts
Say---What does Maple Syrup & Divorces have in common?

There both damn expensive-But worth every cent:yahoo:
My wife makes our syrup. Just saying!:lol:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hey Troy,
Are you familar with Parker's Maple Barn in Mason, NH? It's way out in the woods on some back road off of route 13 near Townsend, MA. Been there a few times. Each Sunday be prepared to wait an hour or more to get seated.
Bob

http://www.parkersmaplebarn.com/

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I do not have sugar maples which yield the best sugar content. I have silver maples so I have to evaporate more sap. My silver maples have to give me around 40-45 gallons of sap to produce 1 gallon of syrup at 68 Brix. Brix is the measurement of sugar content in the sap. To legally sell it as N.H. syrup it must be between 66.9 and 68.9 Brix. I prefer it on the high side of sugar concentration. So to make 5 gallons of syrup I evaporate anywhere between 200 and 250 gallons of sap.
Interesting. So you really can make it with pretty much any maple sap, not just sugar maple? You may have given me a project, since we have several other varieties of maple trees around my place.

·
Registered
181 Posts
i have pecan trees i could make pecan syrup .......... no probably not guna taste like pecan will it .

1 - 20 of 30 Posts