Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya,

Since my family has decided to seize control of the TV at the house today and force me to view a series of Christmas movies since 9AM, I figured I would start this thread to see what others here have for favorites.

My picks are:

Alternative: "We're no angels" 1955, Bogart, Aldo Ray and Peter Ustinov. A black comedy reminiscent of Frank Kapra's "Arsenic and old lace" You have to really pay attention to the dialog and interaction of the "Three wise men" (convicts) to appreciate the comedic timing of these 3 dramatic actors.

From IMDB: At Christmas, three prisoners - Joseph, Albert and Jules - escape from Devil Island to a French small coastal town. They decide to rob a store, to get some money, clothes and travel by ship to another place. They pretend to be there to fix the roof, but pretty soon they realize that the financial condition of the family Ducotel is not good. Andre Trochard, the selfish and mean owner of the establishment, exploits the family Ducotel. The three convicts spend Christmas night with the Ducotels and are so well treated by the family that they decide to help them. Their "pet" helps them to fix the situation.

Traditional: A Christmas Carol 1984 Geo C. Scott I liked this as Scott plays a far more cynical and realistic Ebenezer than Albert Finny.

From IMDB: Made for television version of the Charles Dickens classic of the same name. Ebenezer Scrooge is a hard-nosed, single-minded businessman in Victorian London. He has no friends, has disowned his only living relative - his nephew Fred Holywell - and generally treats everyone he meets with extreme contempt. He hates Christmas, only cares about making money and only gives his clerk, Bob Cratchit, the day off. However, he is taught the true meaning and spirit of Christmas by three ghosts who show him his own past and present. He is also shown what the future holds for him after his death if he doesn't change his behavior for the better.

·
Premium Member
1,791 Posts
Christmas Vacation. :usa

·
Premium Member
12,596 Posts
Christmas Vacation
Scrooged (again with Bill Murray)
Die Hard
and one of our new favorites-Elf

·
Premium Member
1,594 Posts
The Bishops Wife & The shop Around The Corner

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Did anyone mention John McClain, Hans Gruber, and Argyle??

"Now, I have a machine gun,,, HO,HO,HO!!"

:laugh:

I am watching it right now,, the radial arm saw is running,,,:flag_of_truce:

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
As Ralphie would say "oh fudge", it has to be Christmas Story. It's been the tradition at my house for years.:yahoo:

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
It's a Wonderful Life (1946), with Jimmy Stewart

Miracle on 34th Street (1947), the Original although the remake (1994) isn't bad.

Christmas Story - "Ralphie, You'll shoot your eye out".......

Christmas Vacation - "Cousin Eddie and his De-lux motor home"

A Christmas Carol - The Original Scrooge from 1935

Plane's Trains and Automobiles - Even though it's more of a Thanksgiving Movie, it's still always worth a laugh.

Little House on the Praire "A Christmas they Never Forgot" where they were stranded in the cabin snowbound and Mr. Edwards struggles through the blizzard and brings them each a very simple gift

White Christmas (1954)

Holiday Inn (1942)

We have all of the above plus I think every other movie mentioned in the thread on DVD so we can avoid the commercials plus watch whenever. Between Christmas music and Christmas movies, Mrs. Bear starts about Thanksgiving and they are pretty continuous. It's her favorite time of the year.

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
As Ralphie would say "oh fudge", it has to be Christmas Story. It's been the tradition at my house for years.:yahoo:
I wonder if any parents use the bar of soap punishment any more. Probably worth 3 to 5 years in State Prison in today's world, even though it's needed. My mom was real creative. If it was a normal bad word, it was the normal bar of soap. If it was the "Big One", she had a bar of Lava in the closet.......

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Christmas Vacation

Miracle on 34th Street

Christmas Story

but main favorite

White Christmas

·
Registered
837 Posts
I wonder if any parents use the bar of soap punishment any more. Probably worth 3 to 5 years in State Prison in today's world, even though it's needed. My mom was real creative. If it was a normal bad word, it was the normal bar of soap. If it was the "Big One", she had a bar of Lava in the closet.......
LAVA? That stuff was hard on the outside of your body!

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
I just read something interesting.....A little movie trivia

In the movie, "It's a Wonderful Life," Uncle Billy has a black raven / crow which is his pet bird. That bird was actually known as Jimmy the Raven and he was in over 1,000 featured films from the mid 1930's until the late 1950's. Jimmy the Raven is the crow that landed on the Scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz.

Director Frank Capra cast a role for Jimmy the Raven in every movie he made. The bird was found in 1934 in the Mojave desert and the guy who found him taught him a variety of tricks and he understood as many as 200 words and he spoke over 50 words.

Jimmy the Raven was paid $500 per week and his handler was paid an additional $200 per week for Jimmy's appearances. Jimmy the Raven and his handler were earning $36,000 per year at time in the U.S. when the average annual household income was $948. Minimum wage was $0.30 per hour or $12 per week.........

The movie studio had Jimmy insured through Loyds of London for $10,000. Jimmy lived and worked for 22 years, before dying in 1956.

He even has his own Wikipedia page.........Jimmy the raven - Wikipedia

Some of his other movies include the following;

You Can't Take it with You

The Wizard of Oz

Ellery Queen, Master Detective

Moon over Miami

The Bride Came COD

Whispering Ghost

The Son of Dracula

Arsenic and old Lace

The Enchanted Forest

God's country

Birds Make Sport

It's a Wonderful Life

Springtime in the Sierra's

The Enchanted Valley

and the list goes on and on......

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
I have no favorite anymore almost all the Movies listed in this thread so Far I have seen so Many times I can't watch again I could maybe put up with Die Hard II :bigthumb:

·
Corndog Hater
11,278 Posts
We watch many movies during this time of year. In addition to those listed, we also enjoy Polar Express, and new this year....Daddy's Home 2. As a child I watched Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas with my grandfather every year. It is a Jim Hensen production. I make my kids watch it now, with their eye's rolling. Mrs. CP found it on DVD a couple year's ago and the outtakes are funny, they even include some colorful language.

We also introduced the kids to Die Hard this year. It is "the best Christmas movie ever", so says my youngest.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts