Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of digging up a Simmons hydrant. This is the 3rd one I am digging up. They have been in the ground for about 7 years and are dripping, they need rebuilt. They are suppose to be able to be rebuilt while in the ground but I can't get any of the control rods out to replace the stopper.

So, what are some alternatives to the Simmons hydrants?

·
Administrator
18,311 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I work for a pump wholesaler and Woodford hydrants is our #1 yard hydrant (Iowa line - orange handle). Our #2 is Baker Mfg. As far as your Simmons, I do try to steer people away from them since they have a higher failure rate. Woodfords are a lot easier to repair in the field and as they advertise "they last forever".

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I definately agree that the Woodford Iowa is the best hydrant made. They will last at least 25 years...probably longer. All of your neighbors will be envious of your cock.
What's my rooster have to do with the hydrant?

·
Registered
588 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
I have a Woodford Y34 in my yard. It has only been in the ground 2 years and I noticed the last time I used it that it is leaking when it is on. I will be looking into this when it gets warmer and will report back on just how easy it is to service while in the ground. It does appear well built, hopefully I just need to tighten the packing nut.

Lee

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I've ordered a Woodford Y34(Iowa) and plan to install it next week. If it is as good as people say I will order a few more for new additions.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, the Woodford Iowa (y34) yard hydrant got here in two days. Order it from Zoro Tools for $98 with free shipping.

What a nice piece of equipment. Quality is much better than the $55 Simmons. Seem well worth the money.

Installed and working like a champ. Now to order three more to get water out in the pasture.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Well, the Woodford Iowa (y34) yard hydrant got here in two days. Order it from Zoro Tools for $98 with free shipping.

What a nice piece of equipment. Quality is much better than the $55 Simmons. Seem well worth the money.

Installed and working like a champ. Now to order three more to get water out in the pasture.

Thanks for the help.
They have been building them since the 1920's. They got it down. I go with the Y1. It has a 1 1/4 riser pipe, It's just a bit more solid. You can also get them with a brass riser pipe. I don't know what the extra cost is, but it would outlive your grandchildren's grandchildren.
How deep do you bury them there? We need to go at least 6 feet.
Also notice that I like to wrap the riser pipe with heavy duty Scotch 88 electrical tape. It really prevents corrosion.
Here is a picture from my latest install.
It doesn't look like it, but that trench is 8 feet deep, 8 feet wide, and 600 feet long. The water line is 200 psi HDPE.
I lined the trench with 6 inches of sand, and backfilled 35 loads of sand on top since it was so rocky.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I went with a 2' bury depth. That is just shy of 18" below the frost line. So glad I don't have to go 8'

The next ones I order I do plan to look into the brass riser but for this one the steel riser is wrapped with the aluminum heating and air tape. I had some extra and seemed like it should work well.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have had 2 Woolford yard hydrants in the ground for over 10 years and no leaks except for having to tighten the packing gland a couple times. This is normal. The well driller who installed them said they were the best and only one he would install as he had to replace other manufacturers to often.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts