Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The house we recently bought has aluminum Siding. We installed new windows but changed the size. Can we patch in the gaps with pieces of old siding? I don't want to reside the whole house. We plan to repaint the siding when work is complete and I believe that could hide the odd seams around the windows. The contractor thinks it will be time consuming to the point where he could have new vinyl up. I don't particularly like the idea of vinyl when we have nice aluminum through the other 90% of the house.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
As long as you can find the width, I cant see why not. Most of the siding warehouses around here don't carry aluminum on hand but they will gladly order it if needed.

Compared to vinyl, I know why your contractor wants to use the vinyl.......aluminum can be a real pain to work with compared to the vinyl.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As long as you can find the width, I cant see why not. Most of the siding warehouses around here don't carry aluminum on hand but they will gladly order it if needed.

Compared to vinyl, I know why your contractor wants to use the vinyl.......aluminum can be a real pain to work with compared to the vinyl.
He said he would try to find some. My biggest thing is we still have to buy a new furnace and there's aren't any dents anywhere in the current siding. Is it just that it's hard to cut or is there something I'm missing? The stuff on this house looks like it's tacked on with 1" nails and just slides over the piece under it.

·
Premium Member
1,594 Posts
In my opinion, if you are doing the work yourself, patch it in. If you are paying someone to do it, have new installed.
If you patch the aluminum siding in & paint it, it will look awful in a short time, because aluminum siding expands & contracts a lot with temperature changes. When the siding shrinks in cold weather, the siding will shrink exposing the old paint color. When the siding expands in hot weather, it will expand past the new paint line. In the process it will scrape off some of the new paint.
I have installed a lot of vinyl siding over the years & never had a problem with any of it.
In the end, it is your house, your money & your decision.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
. Is it just that it's hard to cut or is there something I'm missing? The stuff on this house looks like it's tacked on with 1" nails and just slides over the piece under it.
Not hard at all....but alot sharper edges. You would be using the same tools regardless of which material you are using, tin snips, utility knives, a 4" cut off tool.
You do walk away with a bunch of small cuts on your hands with the aluminum that would never happen when working with vinyl.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I might talk at him again tomorrow and see if he'd let me try to patch it in and then put shutters over it. I'm not sure how accurate the calculators are online but they were coming in above 5k to reside the house. We will see what his number is. That would be pretty well out of the question at this point in time.

·
Registered
487 Posts
In my opinion, if you are doing the work yourself, patch it in. If you are paying someone to do it, have new installed.
If you patch the aluminum siding in & paint it, it will look awful in a short time, because aluminum siding expands & contracts a lot with temperature changes. When the siding shrinks in cold weather, the siding will shrink exposing the old paint color. When the siding expands in hot weather, it will expand past the new paint line. In the process it will scrape off some of the new paint.
I have installed a lot of vinyl siding over the years & never had a problem with any of it.
In the end, it is your house, your money & your decision.
Have painted a house with Aluminum siding, TWICE!!!

It was covered with the original faded paint at first.
Scrubbed it with a cleaner and painted it.
No issues looked great.
Repainted it about 3 years later, not cause the paint was bad but cause the wife didn't like the color!!:banghead:

Last time lasted 10 years before we resided the house with vinyl, hate vinyl siding, always moving, coming unsnapped and its a substandard product.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I might talk at him again tomorrow and see if he'd let me try to patch it in and then put shutters over it. I'm not sure how accurate the calculators are online but they were coming in above 5k to reside the house. We will see what his number is. That would be pretty well out of the question at this point in time.
I wish I could give more advice on metal siding but I’ve never touched it. I’ve dine plenty of vinyl siding though. First thing. I’m taking a wild guess but looking at your picture you house should cost $2500-$3000 max to go with all new vinyl. Material and labor and just walls. Not the over hang.

Looking at the pictures I would take the metal down to under the windows. Make sure house wrap or some type of moisture barrier is on all your wall sheeting. Tape up the windows with window tape(bottoms, then two sides, and then the top). Then find a matching metal J channel to install around the windows or get some made out of white aluminum fascia coil to match the white windows which is what I think you will need to do since the metal is cut back so far. If you can’t get j channel made then wrap the windows with 1x4 hardy or some other type of exterior material so you can use a normal size j channel.
It can be a vinyl j channel if you are having problems finding aluminum J.

With shutters I guess you still need to figure out how to patch the top and bottom without looking bad.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Our biggest issue is we would have to pay for this out of pocket along with some well work and having the furnace inspected and more than likely replaced. It's turning into more of a triage scenario.

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
If you can salvage the pieces cut out of the siding for the new window shape, then patching will work. Is it ideal? No because you are going to have very identifiable seams which line up with the old window shape. The areas to patch aren't big enough to justify trying to alternate the butt joint seams as you want as few seams as possible.

Don't over nail the siding as it will bow in such short pieces. Be careful to not dent or ding the siding as it can't be fixed ans really stands out. Its going to take a little trial and error and use the nails specifically for that siding so you don't have other issues. Just match up the new nails to nails from the old pieces. Depending upon the time frame it was originally sided, there could have been various nails used......

Try patching it with the pieces you have. Forget buying any new siding unless you plan on repainting the entire house as the colors will never match with fading. In fact, pay attention to the patch pieces so they can go back on the same side of the house, if possible as some will be more faded than others depending upon it's sunlight exposure.

Shutters over the patches will help to hide them. and shutters aren't expensive. Frankly, you could make wooden shutters to hang if you need a unique size to hide joints in the siding, etc.

Vinyl siding is easy, but I don't care for it as the material expands and contracts and the overlap seams are visible from space.

As LGM said, make sure to caulk, channel the water correctly and Tyvek or other wrap on the areas where the patch was applied. It cuts down on drafts and you don't want moisture getting behind the siding.

Take your time and try the patch yourself. You have the old siding ends to line up from. Just always over lap the siding so that water can't run behind it.

Neighbors had all kinds of problems with their cement board siding. Not only was their product part of a large class action lawsuit, it turns out the people who sided their house applied the house wrap from the top of the walls down, so all material seams were facing up and allowed water to run behind the house wrap. What a train wreck, rotten exterior wall board, the siding fell off the house. Big project to fix correctly.

The areas you have are small, just take your time and match the siding colors up closely. Have your wife or someone else look at the pieces from a distance as you hold them up to get the ones which look the most like they belong.

You paint one area, you will be painting them all. Make sure to post follow up pics so we can see how you did..........

1 - 13 of 13 Posts