Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The past several years as I get older, I'm having arm ache when mowing with the JD Z710A Ztrak. All due to the handle bars that John Deere has designed. I've tried different seat positions, hoping this would help. Also, tried adjusting the handle bars, but that didn't help.
So, my thought are to come up with a another way to mow and not have to buy another lawn tractor.

After some thinking, I have solved the problem with my aching arms after mowing.

Here's what I have done, and it really works. I can now lay back in the seat and have my arms resting on the seat arms rests and still mow comfortably without any straining on my arms.

All the parts I have put into this design are about $17.80 for the two swivel brackets and 7/8" dia. tubing and handle bar grips.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,844 Posts
Now that's some *smarts* on solving your problem and looks good to boot! :good2:

·
Premium Member
13,670 Posts
This is genius, and I don't even have a Z, but if I did this is a mod I would be doing :good2:

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could you give us where you sourced these parts - or even better, links? I had some ideas since thinking about this.

coaltrain, I must admit that I save a lot of old parts from varioequipmentent items. such as weed eaters, push lawn mowers, etc.

Here is the bracket item that I found.
Ryobi 725R 31cc Handle Bracket Assembly | eBay

This ebay seller had several, and I bought two. The 7/8" dia.
tubing came from a Craftsman push mower handle bars, and the grips I found on ebay for $4.50 push shipping.

Over the years, I have invented probably dozen products that are now in operation. Three of my inventions are now on very expensive Bass Boats.

·
Registered
23,079 Posts
coaltrain, I must admit that I save a lot of old parts from varioequipmentent items. such as weed eaters, push lawn mowers, etc.

Here is the bracket item that I found.
Ryobi 725R 31cc Handle Bracket Assembly | eBay

This ebay seller had several, and I bought two. The 7/8" dia.
tubing came from a Craftsman push mower handle bars, and the grips I found on ebay for $4.50 push shipping.

Over the years, I have invented probably dozen products that are now in operation. Three of my inventions are now on very expensive Bass Boats.
Thanks!

I also keep everything. When an outdoor grill or anything else dies on me I take it apart piece by piece and save all the stuff. Like you say - amazing when working on something and you can say "I have something like that" as long as I can find it.......

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
When the moon hit your eye like a big pizza pie-would you know it. Why are you showing that to everyone. You just blew your chances of a patent & a pile of money selling those things in a kit as an accessory. Wow. Reminds me of the guy who invented sliced bread. Sold the bread, but never the invention.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When the moon hit your eye like a big pizza pie-would you know it. Why are you showing that to everyone. You just blew your chances of a patent & a pile of money selling those things in a kit as an accessory. Wow. Reminds me of the guy who invented sliced bread. Sold the bread, but never the invention.

Maddog, you are probably correct on the ideal that I could have patented and made a few bucks in doing so. But, I'm in my late eighties and the desire to fight the lawyers, patent office and whoever else gets a lot of money before I would see a red cent.
I look to see next year or shortly there after these mowing grips will be on Zero Turn mowers, or as you state...and accessory kit.

I have another invention that I have made ..prototype, and if I could get a patent, it would send the fishing Trolling Motor business "out of business". I have an old fiberglass boat out in the 2nd garage that I converted to a new way of moving a fishing boat without a trolling motor or the main gas motor.

·
Registered
399 Posts
That is a great idea, kbeaag! Very neat and appealing application.
For those Z-turn experts, why is the steering wheel system not so popular? I haven't used either type so I'm ignorant and curious.

Oh yeah, kbeaag, boat paddles and oars have been around for centuries! LOL

tommyhawk

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,841 Posts
Great idea kbeaag. :thumbup1gif:

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is a great idea, kbeaag! Very neat and appealing application.
For those Z-turn experts, why is the steering wheel system not so popular? I haven't used either type so I'm ignorant and curious.

Oh yeah, kbeaag, boat paddles and oars have been around for centuries! LOL

tommyhawk

I have a 1977 Skeeter Wrangler bass boat just to make my invention work. My younger brother own a Hot Tub, Whirlpool business. One day I was looking at some of the motor jets they use in these unit I the thought it me. I own a Skeeter Bass Boat that has a Motor Guide trolling motor and it's always give me trouble. So, I bought this older 1977 Skeeter rig and cleaned it up and went to work on designing the setup where I don't need a trolling motor. I bought several Hot Tub jets motors and converted them to DC voltage and cut holes in the lower transom area and fibre glassed these motors in the hull so they would propel the boat with these powerful jet motors. It worked as I figured, and I bought eight more jet motors and did the same on the rear starboard and port side of the boat and up front at the lowest part of the hull so the boat could be mover to the right or left as you would if you had the trolling motor in use. This 1977 bass rig has 12 jet motors installed and on the lake people will ask me how I'm moving the boat when I don't have a trolling motor.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
The past several years as I get older, I'm having arm ache when mowing with the JD Z710A Ztrak. All due to the handle bars that John Deere has designed. I've tried different seat positions, hoping this would help. Also, tried adjusting the handle bars, but that didn't help.
So, my thought are to come up with a another way to mow and not have to buy another lawn tractor.

After some thinking, I have solved the problem with my aching arms after mowing.

Here's what I have done, and it really works. I can now lay back in the seat and have my arms resting on the seat arms rests and still mow comfortably without any straining on my arms.

All the parts I have put into this design are about $17.80 for the two swivel brackets and 7/8" dia. tubing and handle bar grips.

Hi neighbor. Great idea. The location of between KS and MO fits me pretty well also as I am only 3 1/2 miles from the state line.

Dave

·
Registered
399 Posts
Far out! :good2: You related to Thomas Edison by any chance?
Now I gotta ask, do you control the motors with a single joystick, multiple joysticks, a steering wheel, or a bunch of guitar footswitches? Heck, the fish probably come to the boat just to enjoy the refreshing water jet streams.

tommyhawk

·
Registered
226 Posts
Genius! Just Genius!

:good2:

Thanks for posting!

Matt

1 - 16 of 16 Posts