Green Tractor Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,079 Posts
They advertise for RV and power outage yet at only 200W max (for ONE hour) there isn't much you're going to be able to run from it.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Or any device with a 3 prong grounding plug.

·
Premium Member
17,079 Posts
Or any device with a 3 prong grounding plug.
The ground pin on a 3-prong plug goes into the hole shown below. So it's just into plastic and does not actually connect to anything. All these new battery powered inverter power supplies seem to use a similar setup.

Gas Machine Auto part Electric blue Multimedia

Reactions: Dr Maphesto

·
Premium Member
2,153 Posts
I agree there is very very little use for 256 watts worth of AC power. I can't think of anything that is very useful for. The only thing this is really useful for is the USB power outlets, which can be had by itself for way way way less money without the useless 120 AC inverter.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
I can see where it would be handy for small things but yes, that’s not a lot of power.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I agree there is very very little use for 256 watts worth of AC power. I can't think of anything that is very useful for. The only thing this is really useful for is the USB power outlets, which can be had by itself for way way way less money without the useless 120 AC inverter.
Right? What is the point of this sized device.

For a lot less money You could have a nice 1000-1500VA desktop UPS that provide useful electronics grade AC power (roughly 900w) and most come with USB plugs. Easier to recharge and maintain too.

APC UPS 1000VA Sine Wave UPS Battery Backup and Surge Protector, BR1000MS Backup Battery Power Supply with AVR, (2) USB Charger Ports https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0779KYKLB/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_Y56P9ZSMDMW4RTG00ZTG

·
Premium Member
17,079 Posts
Right? What is the point of this sized device.
Probably for similar purposes as this device.

Automotive tire Product Automotive lighting Bumper Gadget

Companies seem to really be pushing these battery powered inverters HARD these days. They all have their place, even the low capacity units as most folks seem to be mainly interested in the ability to charge their phones, tablets, etc.

So many of them are grossly over rated in their capability.

A UPS serves a different purpose and most aren't convenient to take with you for portable operation.

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Somewhere I have a booklet that explains when you lose power, you most likely still have a telephone (days of land line wired phones). I forget the available voltage at phone outlet, but this company had all kinds of low power things with a phone jack on it.

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
17,079 Posts
Somewhere I have a booklet that explains when you lose power, you most likely still have a telephone (days of land line wired phones). I forget the available voltage at phone outlet, but this company had all kinds of low power things with a phone jack on it.

The POTS phone line, with all phones on-hook, should measure around 48 volts DC. This drops down to the 3 to 9 volt range when a telephone on the line goes off-hook. An off-hook telephone typically draws about 20 milliamps of DC current to operate, at a DC resistance around 180 ohms.

The electricity in a phone line does spike to around 90 volts when the phone rings, which can give a mild shock.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.