Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Around my parts they have cab'd tractors and use them like cars and trucks. Many of them have enclosed trailers to haul their tools and materials to work sites. One just down the road from my old house has a cab'd 5 series with tinted windows.
Around here they do same thing as far as using them for pulling enclosed trailers and even equipment trailers.

·
Registered
2022 Ram 3500 CTD
412 Posts
I still travel the Nappanee, Indiana area which has a large Amish population and often see tractors being used for nothing other than transportation of people. Most of our Amish also have cell phones, and there are also a large number of Amish owned and staffed businesses that are involved in solar power, RV manufacturing, building supplies, etc. I’ve read that tech usage is decided on a church by church basis, so our Amish seem a lot more “modern”. They are also buying up large tracts of land in neighboring counties so they must have access to capital somehow, or just good savers. It might be easier to save money if you don’t have to buy cars, gas, food, electricity, insurance, internet or cable. Minus not have any air conditioning, these guys might have the right idea.

·
Premium Member
13,894 Posts
So what is the deal with changing the tires/wheels on the tractor?

I notice that the wagons it is pulling has pneumatic tires.

·
Premium Member
7,584 Posts
Several different groups around here, all the way from "old school" that still use kerosene lanterns on their buggies to only way to notice is by the women's dress style!

Neighboring Jamesport area has several Amish farmers with skid steers, seems it's OK to for them to lease, just not own them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I wonder if she might be Mennonite, not Amish. Although there's a farm I buy food from that is Amish-owned and the daughter wears makeup and they actually accept credit card payments! So I guess you can have fancy "English" things as long as your church allows them.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Two (2) reasons for steel wheels (so I am told)
1. Rubber poisons the soil - obviously not true since implements use rubber tires.
2. So they cannot use the tractor for general transportation. Job related transportation is acceptable. As are cell phones.

·
Premium Member
19,847 Posts
I wonder if she might be Mennonite, not Amish. Although there's a farm I buy food from that is Amish-owned and the daughter wears makeup and they actually accept credit card payments! So I guess you can have fancy "English" things as long as your church allows them.
I'm guessing the same thing, Mennonite., not Amish.

As for rubber vs steel wheel and using a baler pulled by horses and the cart behind the horses has a motor running to run the baler ..
Because with modern equipment , it makes it to easy. , they want laid back life that is simple.. Yes in Ohio and near us in Grantsville,-Oakland Md. or Springs Pa. and other areas..It all depends on the Bishop and the leaders of their group.
The old order, none of the newer type equipment ., farming still done the same as it has for the past 2-300+++ years.
Next order may allow a baler, to be used ,since finding parts for the oldest equipment is so hard to find.
next group , may allow a skid steer , and a baler, and a few other items like a cell phone.
The one family we go and visit with , the kids aren't allowed bicycles., well for that matter the adults also...
The other family , we visit with yes they can have bicycles.
Both groups are allowed cell phones , but only to call for a driver to come and take them somewhere , or they can reply to you if you left a message. One member takes and listens to all the messages ,and then writes the message down and gives it to that person.

Could go on more and more, need to run ...

·
Registered
2038r
390 Posts
You guys are correct, they are Mennonite. We bought some equipment off a Mennonite fella in Central Michigan. I saw some pictures of his large 7 series tractors with the same tires on it. I asked him what the reasoning for the tires was, and he told me they are Mennonite. Supposedly their beliefs require the steel wheels on machinery, pretty creative if you ask me.

·
Premium Member
19,847 Posts
Another reason for saying Mennonite,, Amish DO NOT LIKE THERE PICTURE TO BE TAKEN... or at least the ones know. Not even from the shoulder down, his waist down. side or back.. NO pictures ...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Look like tweels. Or maybe stweels?
I’ve seen the Amish near Rockville, IN baling hay with a square baler with an engine mounted to it being pulled by a team of horses. The women were on the wagon stacking it!
I think I saw that...the women were wearing bikinis...nice. I have to venture they were not Amish....LOL

·
Premium Member
7,584 Posts
Seeing more of the "compact" buggies in this area with heavy duty bicycle-type wheels & tires.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
The pic I posted was a two wheeler and a smaller buggy. They probably couldn’t afford the full sized model.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
The pic I posted was a two wheeler and a smaller buggy. They probably couldn’t afford the full sized model.
Or maybe the horse burns less hay pulling a lighter buggy.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts