Green Tractor Talk banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
In these parts you see lots of interesting things.

Yesterday after work I was working outside in the front and there was an older JD with steel wheels pulling a beefy double axle trailer and a very beat up Morooka tracked carrier on it moseying up the road!

Reactions: shoot4fun

·
Registered
New 4044R cab, MX6 Cutter, 440 FEL, Aftermarket mirrors
363 Posts
We have quite a mix in north MO, Amish, German Baptist, Hutterites, Mennonites & who knows what else!
We have them in Central and South Central MO too. Mostly Mennonite, but a few true Amish still around. One of our two Quonset buildings was erected by an Amish crew. They were brought to the job site every morning at 7 AM by a local non-Amish contractor friend. Only took them 3 days to put it up. Took us 3 weeks on the first one! They are some serious workers, no doubt.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I had an Amish cabinet builder years back and he tried to explain to me why they do things certain ways. He was not allowed an electric motor to run his single belt wood shop but he was allowed a 40hp kubota diesel.
Do not remember why, did not make sense to me.
My Amish pole building builder has a phone it is NOT a cell phone. Apparently Verizon has a system where they can bring their home phone with them to job sites and some how it works ?? Looks just like a old cordless phone.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Shamelessly harvested from https://www.lancasterfarming.com/

View attachment 846573

To me it’s weird to see this as our Amish community will not use ride on machinery at all.

Now that I look closely at the wheels they could be rubber with steel treads.
I like the wheels! You would not have to worry about getting a flat and I bet they would do well in the woods. I also wonder how they would do in the snow and ice. I am guessing well. Does anyone know where they get them from? Do they make them themselves? I would think not.

·
Registered
New 4044R cab, MX6 Cutter, 440 FEL, Aftermarket mirrors
363 Posts
I had an Amish cabinet builder years back and he tried to explain to me why they do things certain ways. He was not allowed an electric motor to run his single belt wood shop but he was allowed a 40hp kubota diesel.
Do not remember why, did not make sense to me.
My Amish pole building builder has a phone it is NOT a cell phone. Apparently Verizon has a system where they can bring their home phone with them to job sites and some how it works ?? Looks just like a old cordless phone.
Interesting. I know What you mean about their beliefs being odd. Some make perfect sense while others just make me shake my head. I do know when Rumspringa is on, the kids tend to get a little wild. Most find their way back, but a few have left for good.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I like the wheels! You would not have to worry about getting a flat and I bet they would do well in the woods. I also wonder how they would do in the snow and ice. I am guessing well. Does anyone know where they get them from? Do they make them themselves? I would think not.
I think they are made by Amish craftsmen.

·
Premium Member
1,057 Posts
We have lots of the smaller carts with bike wheels and tires too. It's also pretty common to see very small children driving tiny little carts with a miniature pony. It worries the heck out of me to see them on the road with all the crazies that drive like they do around here.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
A couple comments on Amish. I had a contractor do a lot of work on my house and he always had 2 Amish helpers. They would use power tools but not own them. They got picked up and dropped off every day and he had to take them out to lunch.

At this same time another Amish cabinet maker made us a built in hutch and some book shelves. We went to his shop to look at them before the install to make sure we liked them. It was the time of year it was getting dark early. I remember looking around his shop for a light switch to flip to get a better look. Then I remembered where I was.

One place they have a phone booth. To interact with our world they have to make some concessions. From the road it looks a little bit like an outhouse but it’s a homemade phone booth that is their community phone.

Reactions: trav

·
Premium Member
7,584 Posts
I had an Amish crew built my shop, one of the crew was not Amish & was their driver.

Another Amish man built my cabin for the farm, had his own shed trailer, hired a neighbor to pull it for him. Turns out, his dad worked for my dad for a short time farming when I was around 8 years old.

Reactions: trav

·
Premium Member
2,601 Posts
Reactions: grnspot110

·
Registered
268 Posts
A couple comments on Amish. I had a contractor do a lot of work on my house and he always had 2 Amish helpers. They would use power tools but not own them. They got picked up and dropped off every day and he had to take them out to lunch.

At this same time another Amish cabinet maker made us a built in hutch and some book shelves. We went to his shop to look at them before the install to make sure we liked them. It was the time of year it was getting dark early. I remember looking around his shop for a light switch to flip to get a better look. Then I remembered where I was.

One place they have a phone booth. To interact with our world they have to make some concessions. From the road it looks a little bit like an outhouse but it’s a homemade phone booth that is their community phone.
My parents had a cabin built in KY by Amish several years ago. The builder had a phone in an "outhouse"/phone booth with callerid. When you needed them you had to just let the phone ring & ring. Once someone would finally answer (out of breath from running across the field), they would ask you to hold on & run out back out onto the field to get the person you were calling. Sometimes it would take 10 min to get the person on the phone. One day while we were at the house of the man in charge of the building, my dad asked why the phone was not in the house, and the man said that it was not allowed in the house. My dad thought for a minute & then asked why he did not build the outhouse/phone booth right outside a window to the house so that he could just lean out to use the phone. My mom was trying to decide between crawling under the couch or slapping my dad. The poor man did not know what to say. It was so funny.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts