Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I needed a better tool box on my 2038R, also needed a place to carry shovels / rakes, this is the solution I came up with. Been using it for a few days, seems good. I like that I can still latch / unlatch the iMatch from the drivers seat (that’s why the ammo can is so low & the shovel holders are so high). Ammo can fits good, can open or remove lid easy. I can also remove the whole can easily, but it can’t fall out.

Ammo Can was about $25 from Amazon (Ammo Can Military Surplus Metal M385A1 PA120 17in x 10in).
I needed this size for maximum capacity while not hitting anything. It just barely clears the fender if I lift 3 point all the way up while hydraulic top link is fully retracted.

Shovel / Rake holders $35, also from Amazon (Kolpin Rhino Grip - Double - 21505).
They are ok, I don’t really like the rubber strap they use to secure the shovel handle. But the holder itself is great. Will probably replace the rubber straps with bungee cord that is permanently secured on one end.

Steel, was scrap I had laying in the shop.

·
Administrator
17,105 Posts
Nice job :good2:

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I like it:bigthumb:

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
After 3 1/2 years and no tool box solution on my 4066R, I had come to the conclusion that the front side of the iMatch is probably the only workable solution, however I would have to put it on the right side as I use the left side to hook up the PTO shaft. The problem has been how to fasten it to the iMatch and it looks like you have solved that problem. Looks like I need to find some angle iron and make a trip to my friendly welding shop. Thanks for sharing.

Dave

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
I like the ability to remove the tool box easily. Great design!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's nice. Is the weight sufficient to keep it there, or is there some sort of latch,?

I like your supplemental box blade weight too. :good2:
It’s a snug fit, and it has to lift up about 3” to clear these little pieces of angle iron before it can come out.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I also cut the rib on the ammo can here, that’s why there’s black paint there. It’s a snug fit, but I needed every little bit of clearance I could get so that it can’t hit the fender.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Well, I finally did it. Here is my version of an ammo can toolbox for my 4066R. I originally bought a small plastic toolbox and thought I would mount it on the battery box under the right door, but decided it was not sturdy enough. I like the idea of mounting it to the iMatch which is on the tractor 95% of the time anyway, so this is what I did. The pics are all turned sideways, but the view is not that much of a problem, so I left them alone. I bought 2 of these large ammo cans one time when I was in TSC for a bargain price, so already had it on hand. I thought about making a frame, but I believe this will work fine. As you can see, I reinforced the inside mounts with 1/4 inch steel as I felt that the ammo can did not have enough strength in the sidewalls. 1/4 inch x 6 inch cap screw bolts with stop nuts and a thin washer worked out just fine with no protrusion into the ammo can when using the 1/4 inch thick plates inside and outside.

Dave

toolbox1.jpg

toolbox2.jpg

toolbox3.jpg

·
Premium Member
10,702 Posts
Well, I finally did it. Here is my version of an ammo can toolbox for my 4066R. I originally bought a small plastic toolbox and thought I would mount it on the battery box under the right door, but decided it was not sturdy enough. I like the idea of mounting it to the iMatch which is on the tractor 95% of the time anyway, so this is what I did.
If your hydraulic top-link is retracted and you lift the 3PH all the way does the box hit anything?

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
If your hydraulic top-link is retracted and you lift the 3PH all the way does the box hit anything?
No. It is all clear.

Dave

Sent from my Samsung Note using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Well, I finally did it. Here is my version of an ammo can toolbox for my 4066R. I originally bought a small plastic toolbox and thought I would mount it on the battery box under the right door, but decided it was not sturdy enough. I like the idea of mounting it to the iMatch which is on the tractor 95% of the time anyway, so this is what I did. The pics are all turned sideways, but the view is not that much of a problem, so I left them alone. I bought 2 of these large ammo cans one time when I was in TSC for a bargain price, so already had it on hand. I thought about making a frame, but I believe this will work fine. As you can see, I reinforced the inside mounts with 1/4 inch steel as I felt that the ammo can did not have enough strength in the sidewalls. 1/4 inch x 6 inch cap screw bolts with stop nuts and a thin washer worked out just fine with no protrusion into the ammo can when using the 1/4 inch thick plates inside and outside.

Dave

View attachment 640476
I did not pay much attention to the bolts when I got home with them. They are 5 inch cap screw bolts, not 6 inch. I hope this does not mess somebody up that was trying to match this. The 5 inch worked better anyway as there was no protrusion in the box. Had they actually been 6 inch bolts, I would have reversed them and put the extra outside the box. I drilled the hole for the round head end just a little bigger so the shoulder could be in the hole just enough to keep it from turning.

Dave

·
Registered
3,785 Posts

Here is a pic with the 3pt raised fully and the hyd top link fully retracted. As you can see, plenty of clearance.

Dave

ammo tool box.jpg

·
Registered
14 Posts
Giving me some good ideas

One day while I was at our local dump (The type with just large dumpsters you back up to), I found someone had thrown away about 25 like brand new ammo cans. I've found so many outdoor uses for them besides storing my ammo. Been looking for a feasible solution to putting one on my 1025r. I really like the idea of being able to remove the box while having it securely stable under normal circumstances. I am currently taking some welding classes as I have always wanted to learn the trade. (I have so much steel around the shop). Along with some good John Deere green paint, I hope to be able to create some things that look factory and not an add-on just stuck somewhere.

I too need an area to get to my PTO with the quick attach on. It's quite a stretch for a 60 yr old man. This gives me a great chance to now use my new skills to practice and make something useful.

Thank you all for the ideas, that is what these forums are for. Letting us know what works and what doesn't. Since not a lot of pics with a 1025r, I will include pics when I'm done...Stay tuned.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts