Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new to me owner of a JD 318. I will probably want to change the oil soon. Not sure what the previous owner used for oil. I’m wondering if any of you 318 owners are using the Amsoil 10w30 30 small engine oil? If so any issues like leaks? Any oil consumption? My other option would be is to use JD TorqGard 30W conventional. I will only use this in the spring and summer for mowing.

·
Registered
John Deere 2025r
198 Posts
i used it in craftsman, x485, honda generator, honda wood splitter, never an issue, great oil.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I have a L130 with the v-twin Kohler. The first 5 years I used dino oil. The 6th year I changed to Amsoil 10w-30. Now 13 years later I still use the Amsoil. No leaks, no smoke, no problems and will keep using Amsoil in it.
Real good stuff!

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
There are many brands of oil on the market, plus viscosities, syn vs dino, etc., so we're talking 100 or better possibilities! As all oil related Forums go, you'll prolly get 200 responses!

I use Mobil 10W-30 synthetic in my L&G's... probably because I was using it in my truck, and cost, and a NASCAR fan (at that time!). I would say that ANY BRAND NAME oil will work fine. Regular oil & filter changes are required no matter what your choice, so it comes down to personal preferences for whatever reason(s). I wouldn't use "Joes Snake Oil" down the street for $2 a gallon... even though it was filtered through used toilet paper... just cuz it's cheap! BRAND NAME is the key. Only 198 more replies left! Bob

·
Registered
546 Posts
I am a new to me owner of a JD 318. I will probably want to change the oil soon. Not sure what the previous owner used for oil. I’m wondering if any of you 318 owners are using the Amsoil 10w30 30 small engine oil? If so any issues like leaks? Any oil consumption? My other option would be is to use JD TorqGard 30W conventional. I will only use this in the spring and summer for mowing.
Deere now has excellent multigrade oils.
Lots of them were not available when the 318 was new, so, of course, they are not mentioned in the manuals

Turf-gard could be an op

·
Registered
14 Posts
I swapped over to the Amsoil for small engines 10w30 a couple of years ago in my 316 and haven't had any issues. If anything, it seems like I use just a tad less oil than I used to. Go for it, it's great oil like all of Amsoil's offerings.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
50 wt. oil is some pretty heavy/thick/viscus oil! My KT-17 started smoking a little with 10W-30 so I tried 10W-40. It then used more oil, smoked more, and ran hotter! This was in Tenn. with 95-100 degree summer temps while mowing. Of the 2 viscosities you mentioned, 10W-30 & 20W-50, I'd stay with the 10W-30.

Where are you located and what are average summer temps? Bob

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
50 wt. oil is some pretty heavy/thick/viscus oil! My KT-17 started smoking a little with 10W-30 so I tried 10W-40. It then used more oil, smoked more, and ran hotter! This was in Tenn. with 95-100 degree summer temps while mowing. Of the 2 viscosities you mentioned, 10W-30 & 20W-50, I'd stay with the 10W-30.

Where are you located and what are average summer temps? Bob
I’m located in Nebraska or some say “Taxbraska”. Average summer temps 85 to 90 degrees. Later in July it’s not uncommon to have some 100 degree days.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
I'd still say your 10W-30 would be the best viscosity. As I mentioned earlier, brand is up to you!
I'll add that Amsoil is definitely a quality oil, but the cost is outrageous! I saw $99 a gallon and Mobil-1 is $25-30 for 5 qts.! Bob

• Wow
Reactions: KennyP

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
When I had small gas engines to put oil into (no more: all battery), I used M1 5w30 in them.

Amsoil is just another Group III oil, not too much different from anything else out there. Better than dino. Not quite as good as full synthetics like M1 and Pennzoil. Even some M1 oils are blends with Group III. A 10w30 M1 would be a blend.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts