Discussion Starter #1

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,396 Posts
I'll be dipped!

·
Registered
892 Posts
I'm going to have to dig up my whole yard now, thanks... Good thing I have a loader. ;)

Jim

·
Premium Member
14,710 Posts
I'm in trouble, don't own a dog... Guess I'll have to get a leash and take one of the grandkids for a walk !

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
If they would have slowly sold it off and kept their mouth shut, they wouldn't have had to pay the 50%+ taxes on it. Just wait until some bank declares it was taken in a robbery and they want it back.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,396 Posts
What a rip off. If taxes are imposed it should be on FACE value not estimated worth.
Does the government taxes us on how little our paychecks are really worth? NO!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
If they would have slowly sold it off and kept their mouth shut, they wouldn't have had to pay the 50%+ taxes on it. Just wait until some bank declares it was taken in a robbery and they want it back.
I agree. Would have been much better if they just would've kept quiet.

There was a treasure found in a different state on a rural property(won't say where) and it turned into a terrible nightmare for the owners. Someone trespassed looking for the treasure and videotaped their discovery.The property owners didn't know anything about the treasure until later. When word spread of the cache, the owners unexpectedly had people showing up day and night on their land. The owners hired private security to protect them and to help keep unwanted people off their land. There were several frightening encounters they told of that occurred while they still lived on the property.

Eventually the owners sold the land for commercial purposes, but kept the mineral rights. They were relieved to be free of it.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,396 Posts

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Well, ain't that Karma for "open mouth disease"! All treasure hunters know the first cardinal rule of the road is "Don't tell anybody what you find or that you are even out looking!" And that includes every single person you know. With all the slick lawyers around today it's hard enough to hold onto stuff you already own legally!:laugh:

The best "post hole banks" I've ever found are one's kids put down. Little treasures in old tobacco cans like a couple pennies, toy money, broken watch chains, notes and cancelled postage stamps. This stuff really meant something to those kids. I still wonder though who and why someone buried a pretty china doll's head in a pint mason jar... I hope they didn't go on to "bigger things"!

·
Registered
732 Posts
Well, ain't that Karma for "open mouth disease"! All treasure hunters know the first cardinal rule of the road is "Don't tell anybody what you find or that you are even out looking!" And that includes every single person you know. With all the slick lawyers around today it's hard enough to hold onto stuff you already own legally!:laugh:

The best "post hole banks" I've ever found are one's kids put down. Little treasures in old tobacco cans like a couple pennies, toy money, broken watch chains, notes and cancelled postage stamps. This stuff really meant something to those kids. I still wonder though who and why someone buried a pretty china doll's head in a pint mason jar... I hope they didn't go on to "bigger things"!
Hmm would this be you admitting that you are out looking? Where is this again? :lol:

·
Registered
446 Posts
Chief Clerk Walter Dimmick was convicted of stealing six bags of gold coins -- worth $30,000 -- from the U.S. Mint in San Francisco in 1901.

More than 100 years later, a California couple unearthed a secret stash of coins, with a combined face value of about $27,000. Most were minted in San Francisco.

Coincidence?

Sure is, said Adam Stump, spokesman for the U.S. Mint.

"We do not have any information linking the Saddle Ridge Hoard coins to any thefts at any United States Mint facility," he told CNN.
Could century-old theft explain mystery of gold coins? - CNN.com

"If you had robbed the U.S. Mint in 1901, you'd have 1901, 1900, 1899 coins. But instead what you have here are coins from 1894 and before," he said.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Hmm would this be you admitting that you are out looking? Where is this again? :lol:
You bet I'm out looking (not as much as I used to though!) First time out with a metal detector in my hand and found a Mercury dime I was hooked. In the '60's I worked with a guy who was a REAL treasure hunter. He spent his spare time reading old newspapers at local libraries and getting leads. One Monday night he was not at work but he showed pretty dirty and muddy later around 3AM when I was on break. He told me to come with him to his car. He opened the trunk and then a 10"X18" toolbox and showed me the biggest bunch of pre-1930's silver dollars and halfs I'd ever seen and the remnants of the cloth and leather bags they were put down in.

As a courtesy I never asked him "where" , but he grinned and said "75 feet off "Route (X)". He never came back to work again, I guessed he just went along on another hunt somewhere else. About twenty years later I found one of his "found marks" on a site I was searching. I don't know if that was the "silver hoard" he showed me or not.

Only rich folks used banks in the "old days", poor folks just buried/hid their money and plenty of them took the location of their "banks" to the grave with them. BTW, NEVER pass by an old abandoned house without using a little search "logic" inside and if you live in an area where there was 30's gangster activity look sharp!

That California 10 mil find interests me as it was only gold, in different date sequences and in different denominations. Tells me pretty much that it was stolen money amassed one or two coins at a time...

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
You bet I'm out looking (not as much as I used to though!) First time out with a metal detector in my hand and found a Mercury dime I was hooked. In the '60's I worked with a guy who was a REAL treasure hunter. He spent his spare time reading old newspapers at local libraries and getting leads. One Monday night he was not at work but he showed pretty dirty and muddy later around 3AM when I was on break. He told me to come with him to his car. He opened the trunk and then a 10"X18" toolbox and showed me the biggest bunch of pre-1930's silver dollars and halfs I'd ever seen and the remnants of the cloth and leather bags they were put down in.

As a courtesy I never asked him "where" , but he grinned and said "75 feet off "Route (X)". He never came back to work again, I guessed he just went along on another hunt somewhere else. About twenty years later I found one of his "found marks" on a site I was searching. I don't know if that was the "silver hoard" he showed me or not.

Only rich folks used banks in the "old days", poor folks just buried/hid their money and plenty of them took the location of their "banks" to the grave with them. BTW, NEVER pass by an old abandoned house without using a little search "logic" inside and if you live in an area where there was 30's gangster activity look sharp!

That California 10 mil find interests me as it was only gold, in different date sequences and in different denominations. Tells me pretty much that it was stolen money amassed one or two coins at a time...
When I saw this plastered all over the news, you just knew if your gut something like this would happen. I doubt they will be getting any kind of a reward for their find?

·
Registered
3,554 Posts

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,396 Posts
Here's an update I found via Yahoo:
Whadda tax rip! But.... it's the way Americans wanted it or it wouldn't be that way.:usa
What were we thinking :banghead: :lol:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts