Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After only owning my 1025R for three days, I just had to go back up the road to the dealer to get an Imatch hitch. They are just over a mile and a half down the road, this could become a real problem...

The included bushings were about .060" to long to allow installation of the lock pins on the rotary cutter. Gave me a reason to dig out my old Sherline lathe that hasn't been used since we moved in. Cut down the bushings in a few minutes time and had them installed on the rotary cutter shortly after. All was well afterwards, until I started reading more posts on the forum...

I have the H120 loader and am now debating whether I need a ballast box, fill the tires with Rimguard, get wheel weights, suitcase weights on the box blade or some combination above. Our Florida land is flat as a pancake with the exception of some shallow drainage ditches in the woods. I will be using the loader for moving mulch and river rock in the coming months.

I'd love to fill the tractor shack with every shiny green thing imaginable, but the newly self-appointed chairwoman of the implement appropriation committee is ruling with an iron fist, so I have to plead a logical case with a heavy emphasis on safety to make her loosen the purse strings. :laugh:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,463 Posts
After only owning my 1025R for three days, I just had to go back up the road to the dealer to get an Imatch hitch. They are just over a mile and a half down the road, this could become a real problem...

The included bushings were about .060" to long to allow installation of the lock pins on the rotary cutter. Gave me a reason to dig out my old Sherline lathe that hasn't been used since we moved in. Cut down the bushings in a few minutes time and had them installed on the rotary cutter shortly after. All was well afterwards, until I started reading more posts on the forum...

I have the H120 loader and am now debating whether I need a ballast box, fill the tires with Rimguard, get wheel weights, suitcase weights on the box blade or some combination above. Our Florida land is flat as a pancake with the exception of some shallow drainage ditches in the woods. I will be using the loader for moving mulch and river rock in the coming months.

I'd love to fill the tractor shack with every shiny green thing imaginable, but the newly self-appointed chairwoman of the implement appropriation committee is ruling with an iron fist, so I have to plead a logical case with a heavy emphasis on safety to make her loosen the purse strings. :laugh:
Let the newly self-appointed chairwoman of the implement appropriation committee use your tractor. Works for me.:lol:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Lots of combos of ballast can be employed. I personally stick with a ballast box filled with concrete for my loader work. Ballast box's have the benefit of being "compact" compared to implements. They don't tend to stick out as far or as wide etc.

A box blade by itself isn't heavy enough for the loader per manual. I would want wheel weights and filled tires with a box blade or adequate additional weight added to the blade itself.

The manual outlines several recommended configurations.

And yes... ballast is definitely a safety issue. It takes a blink of an eye for one of these things to tip over. I went up on three wheels last fall cause I went around a corner with loader attached and no box. It was dumb and reminded me to not be an idiot.

·
Registered
61 Posts
newly self-appointed chairwoman of the implement appropriation committee

Those dam committees. Every time you want to improve and make your life easier, that dam appropriation committee steps in and ruins it. They wonder why I don't tell them I'm going to buy something. I'm in the asking for forgiving state after I have it already. I'll pay for it for the next weeks but they soon get over it. HAHAHAHA.

NOTE: a John Deere dealership down the road. YEA, that is going to be a bit problem. I hope you don't have something like a tractor suppley and a MENARDS near by. My wife would make us move NOW!!!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts

Stick around a while, there are many of us on here that have figured out the loop holes to those domesticated, self appointed committees. Probably so much there should be a forum just for that. :laugh:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
NOTE: a John Deere dealership down the road. YEA, that is going to be a bit problem. I hope you don't have something like a tractor suppley and a MENARDS near by. My wife would make us move NOW!!!
I just checked Google Maps: Ag Pro, 1.4 miles due east, Tractor Supply, 3.0 miles southwest. 5 minute drive time to either of them... Am I lucky or cursed??? :knownothing:

·
Premium Member
8,832 Posts

If you accompany your request for a new implement with a pair of gold ear rings or whatever may be her preference, they tend to soften up in a hurry. Put the new ear rings in a gift box on top of literature for the next Deere items you "NEED" to purchase.

When she asks about the literature under the ear ring box you say, "Oh, that stuff under the ear rings, that's just the necessary safety items I MUST HAVE so I am sure to not get hurt or worse. This way, we can be sure of spending many more years together well into the twilight our lives." See, that way, if she says no, then you can wonder if the decision was really fiscally based or part of a larger plot.

Oh, and NEVER seek permission for simply one implement or one additional purchase. Always "Bundle" your purchases as obtaining approval for one item is just as much effort as obtaining permission for a "Bundle" of items.........Remember, you don't say "It's $900 and I know that's a lot of money." Instead, you use the approach of "Such safety is amazingly affordable and only cost $900, which is a small price to pay for all the VALUE, safety and security it provides."

You know how taxpayers absolutely HATE when their school district or municipality runs a Millage election for a new school building and the tax payers approve it when the planning commission swears that this will be the last time they need to raise your taxes for a long time and then, next year, they come back and seek another tax increase to pay for the maintenance of the new building you just paid to build? That's what you want to avoid doing. So, always bundle your purchases.

Also, feel free to throw all of the blame on "Those people on GTT" who just insist that you must have the extra items so you remain safe and not injured and requiring the full time care of a young nurse in a short uniform who will need to sponge bathe you and................where was I headed with this?

·
Premium Member
8,832 Posts
I just checked Google Maps: Ag Pro, 1.4 miles due east, Tractor Supply, 3.0 miles southwest. 5 minute drive time to either of them... Am I lucky or cursed??? :knownothing:
You use the close location to your advantage.

For example, "There are people on the tractor forum who must drive HOURS to reach their closest dealer or tractor parts supplier. We are so fortunate to live close because all of the money we would have to spend on fuel driving back and forth like other must, not to mention the wear and tear on the vehicles, we can redirect into purchasing items which will improve the appearance of our home and increase it's value."

Glass is half full

Glass is half full

Glass is NEVER half empty.......:good2::bigthumb:

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
Those dam committees. Every time you want to improve and make your life easier, that dam appropriation committee steps in and ruins it. They wonder why I don't tell them I'm going to buy something. I'm in the asking for forgiving state after I have it already. I'll pay for it for the next weeks but they soon get over it. HAHAHAHA.

I always heard that it was easier to ask for forgiveness than asking for permission.

Dave

·
Registered
711 Posts
I always heard that it was easier to ask for forgiveness than asking for permission.

Dave
I went with the bundle approach. I got everything I wanted with the tractor purchase, because I knew it would be easier than trying to talk up a new item every few months. Good thing I did. I've only had the tractor a few weeks now and we are having a major problem with the septic tank field. Like in thousand of dollars worth of work. Ouch! I've got to lay low for a long time.... :hide:

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Stick around a while, there are many of us on here that have figured out the loop holes to those domesticated, self appointed committees. Probably so much there should be a forum just for that. :laugh:
If this happens, maybe it needs to be protected from the general public so the committees don't get a chance to see the workarounds...:laugh:

·
Registered
1,362 Posts

No need to move! I just kept taking mine to TSC and if you "browse" enough looking for that thing you can't seem to find, you can hook them into liking TSC as much as you! Worked for me anyway! :lolol:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Avoid the troublesome filibuster

I thought I had bundled everything I could POSSIBLY need when I bought my 1026R in 2012.
Wrong.
Once I started reading this forum (which by the way has solved many minor/nagging problems) I was enlightened about the many, wonderful new and exciting enhancements I could make to my machine.
But I quickly ran afoul of the "chairman" of my appropriations committee, normally a very nice person but fierce and determined when it comes to unanticipated and judged unnecessary acquisitions.
Only through skillful negotiation, quid pro quo accommodation, and yes, even some embarrassing begging have I been able to get all the great and wonderful toys .... I mean attachments...for my tractor(s).
Now that it's paid off, time for an upgrade.
LOL
To be continued!
:laugh:

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
I went with the bundle approach. I got everything I wanted with the tractor purchase, because I knew it would be easier than trying to talk up a new item every few months. Good thing I did. I've only had the tractor a few weeks now and we are having a major problem with the septic tank field. Like in thousand of dollars worth of work. Ouch! I've got to lay low for a long time.... :hide:
The BH is about to pay off?:cheers:

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,273 Posts
Lucky. :thumbup1gif: Add a SMV sign to the rear. You can safely drive your tractor to either location. :good2: smv.png

·
Registered
12,316 Posts
Buy it, hide it, use it, and beg for forgiveness.:bigthumb:
hmm--:dunno:in my case when i got my i-match frontier spreader, i kinda hid it:munch:she walked close by it that winter in the garage. the youngest boy had a trailer out in our big garage. she never seen it or knew what it was when she took coffee, snacks,etc, out for them.:mocking: 20170518_140541_Burst02.jpg my wife walked kinda past this -as the boy's was using the other bay to repair this trailer back then 20170423_163501_Burst01.jpg

i have heard a lot grief about that spreader to this day:lol::bash:

·
Registered
711 Posts
The BH is about to pay off?:cheers:
I don't know... probably not. The county inspector is supposed to come next Friday and do his thing for the permit. I don't know a thing about replacing a septic system. Not that I couldn't learn because I'm not one to shy away from a challenge. But, I don't think the spouse will stand for my head scratching and so forth while I figure out what to do. One thing she is determined to have is, heating, cooling and flush. Like right now! lol. If it's a project that doesn't effect one of those things, then I go and figure it out nine times out of ten.

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
I don't know... probably not. The county inspector is supposed to come next Friday and do his thing for the permit. I don't know a thing about replacing a septic system. Not that I couldn't learn because I'm not one to shy away from a challenge. But, I don't think the spouse will stand for my head scratching and so forth while I figure out what to do. One thing she is determined to have is, heating, cooling and flush. Like right now! lol. If it's a project that doesn't effect one of those things, then I go and figure it out nine times out of ten.
After you watch them, it will be one more thing you'll know how to do...There isn't much to it.:cheers:

Is it 1000 Gal Tank? Oh I just reread your post, its your leach field...Maybe just a loose or degraded piece of concrete drain?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts