Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the grass is about ready to be cut. I need to "slip" the slip clutch on my MX6 rotary mower (aka a "bush hog", "shredder"). This is my 2nd year of cutting. Last year, I loosened and slipped the clutch, then tightened it back up.

The MX6 is kept in a an insulated but unheated garage. It never got below freezing this winter in the garage. I'm probably putting about 60 hours a year on it.

So just today I loosened the slip clutch disk nuts 2 full turns. Then spun it up, best I can tell it did not slip. Loosened up another turn, no slip. One more turn, and then it felt very different on spin up. No lug down. About 1 second into the spin up I saw wisps of white smoke. I disengaged the PTO after about 4 seconds. Indeed, it had slipped and while it was spinning and very lightly smoking for 4 seconds the blades spun up. The clutch assembly was warm, but no so warm that I could not put a finger on it and leave it there :good2:.

So the question is, am I good to go and I can just tighten it up to the gap specified in the manual, or is there more to it? :unknown:

Is this all I have to do each year, or is it recommended that I tear it down every now and then? :unknown:

TIA
Pete

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Well Pete, I am not an expert on this by any stretch. But just by what you describe I would think you are good to go. I would think this is what you would have to do each year. My tiller has a slip clutch and rests in a very cozy abode as well and I find I also have to slip it before each use.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Pete,

Sounds like you are good to go.

I usually mark across the clutch plate with a piece of chalk so I can see for sure that it slipped when it was supposed to.

Might want to grease the tail wheel and check the gearcase oil. I also like to reach underneath and make sure the blades are loose and will extend easily when it is started. Might even shoot the pivot points on the blades with a little oil to make sure the move freely.

Have a good time mowing and be careful!

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Runner, you've laid out the steps I've followed. Between you, me, and Randy all I can say is "Great minds Think Alike" (and fools seldom differ). :laugh:

Pete

1 - 4 of 4 Posts