Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping to get some advice from those with more experience than I in terms of using the 1025R.

Building a new house that is in a small neighborhood that is located about half to 3/4 of a mile off a main road. Half of the road is paved and in good shape. The other half is pretty chewed up and uneven. It is partially paved, partially dirt. I am planning on putting some millings down on the dirt part and try to even out the road so it is in halfway good shape. The guy who managed the road before just said he was done this year so I am taking over since I have the tractor for it!

Which brings me to thousand dollar question, what is the best snow removal option. I have gone through some of the older threads to get an idea of what would be best but would like to get some opinions.

1) Plow that attaches to the FEL. I like this option because I would be able to switch between the plow and bucket to be able to move piles and clean up small areas. Concerned with the fact that the road is so uneven and if the plow gets caught on something and screws up the FEL.

2) Plow Mounted to the frame, eliminates the risk of the damaged to the FEL, Plow angle is always at the right angle so dont have to worry about that, and the hydraulic angle control is pretty nice.

3) Front Mounted Snow Blower. I do like this option but based on what I have read it does throw snow a fair distance. Considering the loose dirt / if millings get loose I could do some serious damage to neighbors homes. This is small waterfront neighborhood so all the houses are pretty close to road. Last thing I need to do is send a rock through a window as I am trying to clean up some snow.

4) Plow on the 2011 Ford Expedition. I will keep the bucket on the tractor to move the piles that the plow creates. Getting another vehicle to use as a plow / yard truck is not an option as I already have enough vehicles / trailers to store.

Looking forward to the feedback!!:munch:

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Hoping to get some advice from those with more experience than I in terms of using the 1025R.

Building a new house that is in a small neighborhood that is located about half to 3/4 of a mile off a main road. Half of the road is paved and in good shape. The other half is pretty chewed up and uneven. It is partially paved, partially dirt. I am planning on putting some millings down on the dirt part and try to even out the road so it is in halfway good shape. The guy who managed the road before just said he was done this year so I am taking over since I have the tractor for it!

Which brings me to thousand dollar question, what is the best snow removal option. I have gone through some of the older threads to get an idea of what would be best but would like to get some opinions.

1) Plow that attaches to the FEL. I like this option because I would be able to switch between the plow and bucket to be able to move piles and clean up small areas. Concerned with the fact that the road is so uneven and if the plow gets caught on something and screws up the FEL.

2) Plow Mounted to the frame, eliminates the risk of the damaged to the FEL, Plow angle is always at the right angle so dont have to worry about that, and the hydraulic angle control is pretty nice.

3) Front Mounted Snow Blower. I do like this option but based on what I have read it does throw snow a fair distance. Considering the loose dirt / if millings get loose I could do some serious damage to neighbors homes. This is small waterfront neighborhood so all the houses are pretty close to road. Last thing I need to do is send a rock through a window as I am trying to clean up some snow.

4) Plow on the 2011 Ford Expedition. I will keep the bucket on the tractor to move the piles that the plow creates. Getting another vehicle to use as a plow / yard truck is not an option as I already have enough vehicles / trailers to store.

Looking forward to the feedback!!:munch:
I personally like a loader mounted plow. So long as the plow has a trip hinge, you don't have much to worry about. The key is, slow as you go and don't try setting land speed records. Do not use float mode as this unloads the front end, and reduces steering control.

As an alternative, for $100-$200 you could put some edge tamers from R2 Manufacturing on your bucket. Get some experience before investing a lot of money.

https://r2manufacturing.com/products/edge-tamer?variant=26767154313

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
One more advantage to #2, quick hitch attached plow...
works well in tight places, and is easier to control due to the blade being closer to the tractor.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Personally I'd plow from the heated cab of my Expedition if I were you and use the tractor to move stacked snow if needed. I think the truck will be much more efficient and warm. Been plowing commercial lots for about 15 years with my ram 2500, and plowing with my 1025r just seems archaic in comparison. My driveway is about 180 feet long and 4 or 5 car wide. I'm sure that I can do it in a quarter the time with my 8 foot blade on the truck than it would take with the tractor. Did I mention the heated cab in the truck?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
Personally, I'd go with options #1 AND #3.

People often comment that they are concerned about damaging the loader when mounting a plow on one but I've yet to see anyone post that they've actually had that happen. I use the loader mounted plow as my primary snow removal tool but I also have a 3pt blower.

Deere only offers a loader mounted plow (AF10F) or the QuickTach mounted 54" or 60" plows. The issue with the QuickTach units is that you can't stack snow and you have near nothing for ground clearance under the QuickTach frame.. If you've got a huge yard and can push snow all the way across it you may be alright with that. But if you're like most people, there is a limited area to put snow. If you leave 4ft high piles at the side of the road/driveway after a storm there is nothing you can do when the next storm rolls around.

With the loader mounted plow you can push snow up and over. I've stacked snow piles 10' high. I don't know of anyone else that makes a frame mounted plow for the Deere CUTS/SCUTS but there are several options for loader mounted plows. Some have hydro angling, some don't.

With a blower, of course, you can just blow it where you want it and piles aren't usually a problem. You can usually adjust the spout deflector so that it only ends up throwing it 10' off the side of the road. Not much chance to breaking anyone's windows that way. They'll throw snow 30-40 ft but you don't have to do that if you don't want to.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Personally, I'd go with options #1 AND #3.

People often comment that they are concerned about damaging the loader when mounting a plow on one but I've yet to see anyone post that they've actually had that happen. I use the loader mounted plow as my primary snow removal tool but I also have a 3pt blower.

Deere only offers a loader mounted plow (AF10F) or the QuickTach mounted 54" or 60" plows. The issue with the QuickTach units is that you can't stack snow and you have near nothing for ground clearance under the QuickTach frame.. If you've got a huge yard and can push snow all the way across it you may be alright with that. But if you're like most people, there is a limited area to put snow. If you leave 4ft high piles at the side of the road/driveway after a storm there is nothing you can do when the next storm rolls around.

With the loader mounted plow you can push snow up and over. I've stacked snow piles 10' high. I don't know of anyone else that makes a frame mounted plow for the Deere CUTS/SCUTS but there are several options for loader mounted plows. Some have hydro angling, some don't.

With a blower, of course, you can just blow it where you want it and piles aren't usually a problem. You can usually adjust the spout deflector so that it only ends up throwing it 10' off the side of the road. Not much chance to breaking anyone's windows that way. They'll throw snow 30-40 ft but you don't have to do that if you don't want to.
I have same set up as JimR front and rear. And a 1/4ish mile gravel driveway. And an elderly neighbor i plow out.
Have yet to see any damage to this set up. Besides burning up a cutting edge and set of skids in a few years.:mocking:

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Depends on how much and what type of snow you get. It’s one thing to plow a couple inches of fluffy snow and another to plow a foot or more of heavy wet snow. The blower will move most anything, but it is slower than a plow on the tractor.

For plowing roads getting a 3/4 ton plow truck is probably the betting plan. And that’s about the smallest truck I’d put a plow on for anything other than your own driveway. The small and midsize suvs simply are not made heavy enough to stand up to plowing.

·
Premium Member
14,088 Posts
I didn't see where you are located and how much snow you actually might have to move. I'm another fan of the FEL mounted plow and although I don't have one yet I like the 3 point snow blower for the "big one". As jdforever said, as long as you have a trip edge or trip blade you will have no trouble with this plow. And as Jim said, it gives you the ability to stack the snow quite high, and I've done 20" of snow with this setup and had no real trouble.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,366 Posts
My answer, I'm a plow mounted to a frame guy. But I will say a JD plow with quick hitch on a 1025R is probably not the answer either.

I also think, depending on snow amounts, a 3/4 mile driveway is a lot of driveway for a 1025R.

·
Registered
23,496 Posts
My answer, I'm a plow mounted to a frame guy. But I will say a JD plow with quick hitch on a 1025R is probably not the answer either.

I also think, depending on snow amounts, a 3/4 mile driveway is a lot of driveway for a 1025R.
I agree. With any of the plow or blower options it’s going to take hours and hours.

Without knowing the Op’s location we can’t determine if he will be getting a couple nuisance snows a year and be out the in the 30’s or heavy 2’ lake snows and be out there in sub zero weather. If the latter I wouldn’t hesitate for the plow on the Expedition option.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I personally like a loader mounted plow. So long as the plow has a trip hinge, you don't have much to worry about. The key is, slow as you go and don't try setting land speed records. Do not use float mode as this unloads the front end, and reduces steering control.

As an alternative, for $100-$200 you could put some edge tamers from R2 Manufacturing on your bucket. Get some experience before investing a lot of money.

https://r2manufacturing.com/products/edge-tamer?variant=26767154313
I have a pair of Edge Tamers. A very well-made product, and while I can see them as very useful on a gravel or rock drive or road, I find them to be generally useless on a smooth paved surface like my driveway. Unless I'm using them wrong, they leave about a 1-or-2 inch layer of snow, which doesn't really work for me. I have found them useful for some yard tasks working on uneven surfaces around the yard, but otherwise I've pretty much put them away for the winter.

Using my FEL bucket works...but it's definitely time consuming and inefficient. I'm teetering on the edge of getting a snow pusher of some kind. I have to go to the JD dealer this morning to get a belt to replace the one I smoked on my JD 42 inch snowblower. I'm kind of dragging my feet, wonder if this unusual snow storm we just had is a reason to buy yet another tractor attachment, but I'm going to shop snow pushers while I'm there.

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
The more I think on this the more I think you're right here. I plow just under 1/5th of a mile and a typical storm takes about 2 hours. I'd be looking at 7-8 hours for 3/4s of a mile. I like seat time as much as anyone else but that's an awful long time to be out there every storm. He'd probably be looking at 30-45 minutes with a truck & plow plus a little extra play time with the tractor for clean up..

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
I have a pair of Edge Tamers. A very well-made product, and while I can see them as very useful on a gravel or rock drive or road, I find them to be generally useless on a smooth paved surface like my driveway. Unless I'm using them wrong, they leave about a 1-or-2 inch layer of snow, which doesn't really work for me. I have found them useful for some yard tasks working on uneven surfaces around the yard, but otherwise I've pretty much put them away for the winter.

Using my FEL bucket works...but it's definitely time consuming and inefficient. I'm teetering on the edge of getting a snow pusher of some kind. I have to go to the JD dealer this morning to get a belt to replace the one I smoked on my JD 42 inch snowblower. I'm kind of dragging my feet, wonder if this unusual snow storm we just had is a reason to buy yet another tractor attachment, but I'm going to shop snow pushers while I'm there.
That's the reason I was suggesting them to the OP, because of the unevenless he described of his road/driveway. I don't own the edge tamers, they just sounded good for his conditions. :dunno: I agree with what you are saying, but, I do think they would be an inexpensive alternative to get the job done while getting some experience before investing a lot of money. I personally use a front loader mounted plow and love it, but I have a substantial amount of money invested.

Absolutely let us know what you decide on.:good2:

Reactions: Gizmo2 and PJR832

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Fel plow

Hello WakeRider, I use both. I use the Fel without edge tamers when I need to scrape down through hard packed snow from everyone driving on it, or like this storm we just had it was ice before snow.

I couldn't use the plow.. It would not scrape the ice and snow so I took it off quick and put the bucket back on. I had to take my cutting edge off. I have the WR flat long toothbar so I can plow with it on but it wasn't going to cut trough the ice without me messing up the asphalt or the gravel. I dont plow the gravel if there is only 1 or 3 inches on it and it isn't frozen.

Anyway, I built my own plow. I got a blank JDQA plate from Titan and bought a plow off Craigslist and my neighbor did the fabrication. I don't have the hydraulic on it but I don't need to change the angle much. I plow 3 to 4 drives and they are long. Not as long as some others on here.

Here's a pic. I love that it takes mins to change out from bucket to plow and I can stack the snow up high.

Good luck!
WB

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
So thank you for the feedback so far.

As to answer some questions:

-Location is South of Boston. So we will have years where it is few and far snow storms between and then there are years where we get pelted every weekend (like 3 years ago when we got 100+ inches of snow in a month and a half).

-Currently the road is uneven but my hope is to fix that up with some millings. And when I say "road" I use the term loosely. The nice part is probably as wide as maybe a car and a half while all the crappy part is no more than a car wide.

-I have been looking at plows for the expedition but really cant seem to find any that would have the hydraulic angle control. It seems like it would be a pain in the ass to get out and change the angle every time i needed to (this is a very odd street layout so lots of corners and such). Anyone have any experience with the non hydraulic controlled ones? Would also like the plow to be easy on and off so it isn't on the expedition the entire season so that when I am not using it to plow I aint bringing all that extra weight around the entire time.

-Will look into the FEL plow as that seems like the safe bet for doing the two driveways I will have as well as helping out the elderly neighbor as there is not a lot of room to just use the plow on the truck. This would also help protect the cutting edge on the bucket (granted that has taken a beating from the lot clearing for this new house already so :dunno: ) The plow would also cut down the time it takes me to clear the driveway of where we are currently live while the house is being built (currently using just the bucket)

Thanks again all! :bigthumb:

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
-I have been looking at plows for the expedition but really cant seem to find any that would have the hydraulic angle control. It seems like it would be a pain in the ass to get out and change the angle every time i needed to (this is a very odd street layout so lots of corners and such). Anyone have any experience with the non hydraulic controlled ones? Would also like the plow to be easy on and off so it isn't on the expedition the entire season so that when I am not using it to plow I aint bringing all that extra weight around the entire time.
I'm confused by this. Is there someone that makes a plow for common trucks that doesn't have hydraulic angling? Fisher, Western, Blizzard, Meyers, etc... All the big names have hydraulic angling as a standard feature and they all have their own "Easy on/Easy off" connection system. Fisher's Minute Mount plows are probably the most common in the area for 1/2 ton through 1-ton vehicles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm confused by this. Is there someone that makes a plow for common trucks that doesn't have hydraulic angling? Fisher, Western, Blizzard, Meyers, etc... All the big names have hydraulic angling as a standard feature and they all have their own "Easy on/Easy off" connection system. Fisher's Minute Mount plows are probably the most common in the area for 1/2 ton through 1-ton vehicles.
It was more so every time I looked for blades, online it had said that they were too large for my truck and the ones that came up on the website were all like the homesteader plows. In reality I am probably just going to have to go in and talk to the local plow shop to see what they would recommend.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hello from a fellow M*******...

I live in Sherborn, MA and have a driveway that is about 1/5th of a mile and paved (except the gravel 'loop' at the house). I use a 1025r with a front mount blower that makes short work of it. The driveway is about 9 feet wide, give or take in different parts, so I can clear the whole thing in one pass up and one pass back down. No snow challenge has been too much for the blower... you have to go slower with a heavy 18 inches, where you can pedal to the metal in low gear (4 mph haha) with 6 fluffy inches. If my driveway were 3 to 4 times as long, such as yours, my guess is it would probably take me an hour to clear the whole thing with 5 to 10 inches of average snow. quicker for small light snows, longer for the occasional dense large snowfalls.

I agree with others that a plow could be much faster for small snowfall, but it could be useless during powerful nor'easters. There have been storms here that I know I couldn't have plowed with a blade. I also would run out of room to put the snow in a season like 2016 where the 100" of snow came in a month and a half.

The challenge with the blower is the gravel/dirt portion of the driveway... I skim an inch or 2 above the gravel to clear my 'loop'. It works but it does throw the occasional rocks if I get greedy. Ultimately, however, if i had nearly half a mile of gravel and dirt I WOULD NOT advise the blower.

My $.02

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
It was more so every time I looked for blades, online it had said that they were too large for my truck and the ones that came up on the website were all like the homesteader plows. In reality I am probably just going to have to go in and talk to the local plow shop to see what they would recommend.
The Fisher "Home Plow" and Meyer's "Wingman" plow will both work on your Expedition. Both have hydro angling and both mount via a front 2" receiver hitch. I think you can get either of them in 6.5' or 7' for your truck. You'd be looking at $4000-$4500 for either one if you are buying new. But this is one of those sorts of things that Craigslist is ideal for. You can buy a 2" front receiver from lots of places and then either model I mentioned will fit right on since they don't use any proprietary mounting system.

Reactions: WakeRider
1 - 20 of 44 Posts