Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was time to address rear ballast so I recently purchased a new JD ballast box. I knew I was pushing some work with my loader last year and just took delivery Monday of a new Artillian grapple. It was time to apply a bit of common sense. I want to thank all those who kindly posted their ballast box builds as I borrowed something from everyone :good2:

I wanted to install a 2" receiver so I drilled horizontal and vertical holes in the receiver to pass rods through.

IMG_3673.JPG

I then welded angle and flat iron to the rods for extra retention. The flat iron in the picture is leaning, but I straightened it when I poured the Quikrete. I also added another piece of matching angle iron under the receiver after I took this picture. I positioned the receiver as close to level as possible when I tacked the rods. I was able to fine tune the leveling once poured. I decided to go this route vs. fabricating an external mounting plate. I am a novice welder so I thought it best to hid my work in Quikrete.

IMG_3677.JPG
IMG_3675.JPG

I inserted one 4" tube for chains and 2 2" tubes for tools. I poured seven bags of 80lb Quikrete. I drilled drainage holes on each side for water although my plan is to store the unit indoors. I felt this was cheap insurance. I purchased a thin rubber mat for the flat top of the Quikrete which I need to cut yet. I also made a small black seal to put around the receiver to cover up the cuts. I need to decide if I want to remove a couple inches off the pvc as they are a bit tall.

IMG_3690.JPG
IMG_3692.JPG
IMG_3696.JPG

Was a blast to work on. Again I want to thank those who posted their projects as there is nothing new here. I borrowed from everyone. This is one of the great things about GTT.

Greg

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
:good2::good2::good2:

:thumbup1gif::thumbup1gif::thumbup1gif:

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
12,499 Posts
I think it looks good :bigthumb: I am lucky, I just have gravel in mine for now. never even gave any thought to putting a receiver in the back like that when I had my old neighbor build mine. still can, just have to go back. and I got in a hurry the day we shoveled the stone in-yelp forgot the plastic pipe-have it here waiting I big garage-put the stone in the box at my son's house. I like the bigger pipe idea for ur chain in their.

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Big Jim,

I almost put two of the 4" pipes only as I figured I could store not only chains or straps but also a bunch of tools at once like shovels. I usually carry an ax and a couple mauls when cutting wood and they fit in the larger pipe together. Fun to think about, now I am ready for Spring to actually use it.

Reactions: ColonyPark

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,816 Posts
Nice clean job Gebada22. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Great job, I will be building mine in a few months after I get the Spousal Unit and tractor moved up North. I love these posts since it just gives me more ideas to try.

Since the moving company charges by the pound they would probably prefer my to add a box full of concrete to my move.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Nice Eh! How much does it way now with the concrete in it?:thumbup1gif:

·
Corndog Hater
11,777 Posts
Great job thanks for sharing it and the pics

·
Premium Member
2,901 Posts
Very very nice, :bigthumb:

I thought about putting a receiver on mine but I use it with my 1026 and the 3PH lift capacity is nearly maxed out just to lift the box let alone a trailer so never did it.

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am not sure of the exact weight, however, I am guessing 680 To 710lbs. 7x80 plus the weight of the box. I am excluding water from theses figures along with the receiver and welded metal. The box is listed at 88lbs, but is much heavier. A previous post by a GTT member listed the raw weight of the box at 145lbs. He actually hung it on a scale empty and posted the pictures. I laughed about the 88lbs with the dealership as a couple guys loaded it. They concurred that 88lbs was incorrect.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Nice work OP!! Looks good! I too took ideas from others here. Below is my ballast box... I filled it with gravel just in case I need to remove it for some reason. I also added d-rings to each side in case I need to strap something down.

uploadfromtaptalk1456615890863.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1456615900768.jpg

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I knew there were going to be items I missed :banghead: Those rings are a great idea to hold stuff down. May need to add those soon. Nbthanks for sending the pics.

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,516 Posts
Very nice job, Gebada22. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Party box

Here's my contribution. Concrete, bb and iMatch weigh in at about 550 lbs. The cooler holds 24, 12 oz. bottles and an 8# bag of ice. I'm very careful coming home from the neighbor's as the load gets significantly lighter on the return trip.

20141020_212756.jpg

I opted not to put a receiver on mine because you can't see it when backing up while sitting on the tractor.

Edit note: At the time this picture was taken, I didn't have the iMatch. The cooler is rarely in there. Most of the time it's chains, chainsaws, gas can and fencing tools/equipment. I have also purchased the Heavy Hitch and 8-42# weights and I'm considering upgrading to the NEW Heavy Hitch that holds 8-42# weights. I also pulled the trigger in the 75# wheel weights. Still trying to figure out what works best for me and I think they all have their place, when the need arises.

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's awesome. Never thought to incorporate cooler storage, but I am all about retrofitting :good2:

Reactions: jdforever

·
Registered
374 Posts
Here's my contribution. Concrete, bb and iMatch weigh in at about 550 lbs. The cooler holds 24, 12 oz. bottles and an 8# bag of ice. I'm very careful coming home from the neighbor's as the load gets significantly lighter on the return trip.

View attachment 138545

I opted not to put a receiver on mine because you can't see it when backing up while sitting on the tractor.

Edit note: At the time this picture was taken, I didn't have the iMatch. The cooler is rarely in there. Most of the time it's chains, chainsaws, gas can and fencing tools/equipment. I have also purchased the Heavy Hitch and 8-42# weights and I'm considering upgrading to the NEW Heavy Hitch that holds 8-42# weights. I also pulled the trigger in the 75# wheel weights. Still trying to figure out what works best for me and I think they all have their place, when the need arises.
This is how I have it set up at my shop to haul trash cans, tires and cardboard to there respective piles on the opposite side of the building. You can just barely see the front weights (still Mitsubishi (from a Mitsubishi tractor) blue/not painted yet), and yes, that's a 61" loader bucket. They also make a 72", but that would just be awkward.

weights.jpg

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That is a nice look work machine. I see in your signature you have a homemade 4x8 farm trailer. If you have any pictures I would love to see them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts