Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At my inlaws place, where I'm temporarily residing, there is an old coop that hasn't been used in years. Last used by some renters.

I'm in the process of cleaning it up, but my question is for the chicken experts, how clean do I need to get it? I mean do i need to take a power washer to the walls and get it super clean or just a hose and spray it down? What depth of cleaning should I take it before(or if) I move my chickens in there?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,111 Posts
If you have a power washer handy, go for it (using all the normal precautions). If not, use can just use a garden hose with a nozzle to get all the dust/dirt knocked out of everywhere. The bigger issue for the health of the chickens is usually pathogens. Since you haven't had any chickens in there recently, that's probably not an issue.

I usually hose my coop out every spring, spray everything inside & out with a 5% chlorine solution, let that sit for 20 minutes and then rinse it all off again.

·
Registered
22,736 Posts
I agree with JimR here. If there were unknown poultry in it recently I would give it a good power washing with chlorine solution. But if it has been empty for years just cleaning it to your liking will likely be fine just making sure you get the old litter out. The chickens won't care either way......

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is what I'm dealing with.

Not knowing how long we'll be living at the inlaws I want to make use of what's available vs building a coop then having to move it.

Sent using Jedi mind control.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Shovel and scrape the majority, then spray it down with the chlorine solution and rinse. That's quite the mess you have. Don't want you or the new birds getting sick. Be careful.

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shovel and scrape the majority, then spray it down with the chlorine solution and rinse. That's quite the mess you have. Don't want you or the new birds getting sick. Be careful.
Yeah, I've already stated removing it. It's very dry at least.
I'm going to remove the top layer of dirt on the floor also.

·
Super Moderator
5,111 Posts
Yeah, I've already stated removing it. It's very dry at least.
I'm going to remove the top layer of dirt on the floor also.

Just as a tip, if you've got access to it, a 2"-3" layer of sand on the floor in there will make cleaning up a whole lot easier in the future and you won't have a layer of mud in there after it rains. :laugh:

·
Registered
616 Posts
I agree, use a mask! After you clean the walls, and everything is dry, liberally apply food grade Diatomaceous earth everywhere. You can buy a cheap dry application garden duster to spray it around. Does a great job of keeping unwanted micro-critters out of the coop. We then liberally cover the floor and nests (ours is wood) with pine shavings. We use the Diatomaceous earth once a month when they are out in the yard.

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree, use a mask! After you clean the walls, and everything is dry, liberally apply food grade Diatomaceous earth everywhere. You can buy a cheap dry application garden duster to spray it around. Does a great job of keeping unwanted micro-critters out of the coop. We then liberally cover the floor and nests (ours is wood) with pine shavings. We use the Diatomaceous earth once a month when they are out in the yard.
I already have a 50lb bag waiting.:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
8,841 Posts
I now see why I built with slats and screen for floor,,, :flag_of_truce:

Is that elevated entrance walk way without a handicapped handrail OSHA compliant? :lol::laugh::thumbup1gif: You don't want any chicken lawyer injury claims.........:laugh:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Is that elevated entrance walk way without a handicapped handrail OSHA compliant? :lol::laugh::thumbup1gif: You don't want any chicken lawyer injury claims.........:laugh:
That is an old pic,,, the (dual sided) handrail is up now,,

actually,,, it is a "wing" rail,,, :flag_of_truce:

We have never lost a chicken to a fall,,, that did not taste good,,,, :yahoo:

·
Registered
12,324 Posts
boy-oh boy-chicken coops sure has changed a lot since I was a kid.:laugh: wing-rails in case of falls on the ramps-:lolol:jeepers I just had to add that, after sulley bear mentioned it, i'dl never thought of the hand rail-deal.:laugh: my step grand pap had a small chicken coop when I was a kid staying there, it had a wooden floor to walk on, so no dirt--but the chickens had free range of the yard or anywhere they so desired to go, and scratch. so all or most of their dirt was outside and u couldn't sit in the yard-either-ha!! they did know to lay their eggs in the coop-:thumbup1gif:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts