Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 191 Posts

·
Administrator
20,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just for the record here, 56FordGuy stole my idea. Plain and simple. I even bought my tank before he acquired his. :laugh: He's just a little quicker than me....

Now I have a crazy mole problem. My entire neighborhood has one. Because our soil is mostly clay littered with plenty of rock, it's very difficult to find a smooth area. So I've been wanting to get a lawn roller to assist with these issues. I looked at getting a commercially available one, but they were small, cheap, and fairly flimsy. I had major doubts on whether or not they were up to the task of smoothing out multiple yards to the extremes I have. So let's build one!

:danger:Be aware of the dangers of welding and grinding on a tank, let alone a tank that was used for flammable substances. I took many precautions before proceeding. :danger:

Like a bunch of my projects, they don't get done at high rates of speed. Sometimes there's long periods of "planning time" in between work sessions. Yeah, that's it. Planning time. :thumbup1gif:

So this one kicked off last year when I purchased a tank for $100.

IMG_6173.JPG IMG_6175.JPG

Shortly after getting it home, I cut off all of the fittings and junk off the top.

IMG_6176.JPG

Holy Crap!!!!! Don't ever do this to an old propane tank near your home! This was an old propane tank, so there's plenty of residual Mercaptan in the bottom of the tank. That's the stuff they use to make propane smell like propane. It doesn't take very much to make it stinky. Well there was roughly a quart of used motor oil looking stuff in the tank. I decided to roll the tank over and drain it out. Shortly thereafter THE ENTIRE NEIGHBORHOOD STUNK. We thought there was a gas leak in a nearby gas pipeline. It was bad! I filled the tank with water, drained it and repeated several times. I dumped gallons of cleaner, degreaser, heck, even bleach, nothing worked. The inside of my home smelled like gas for two or three days. Make no mistake, there was no gas, no danger, but it reeked to high heaven. I have good neighbors..... It took weeks for that smell to wear off around that tank.

It was terrible. :lol:

Fast forward to a few weeks ago. Now I can be around the tank and I don't smell anything. :laugh: I got happy with a cut-off wheel, a torch, and some grinders. I cleaned the tank off of all of it's original goodies to include the fittings, lifting handles, and feet. I then proceeded to weld up all of the holes. I also welded on some of Ken's weld-on hooks for ease of moving it around. It's about all the 2720 can do to lift this tank. I also acquired a farm and implement axle from a neighbor who had a few laying around. He's excited about maybe fixing his yard so the price was perfect, free. :good2:

IMG_7346.JPG IMG_7347.JPG IMG_7350.JPG IMG_7353.jpg IMG_7365.jpg

I set the tank up on some machinery skates that were set on the floor rollers up. This allowed the tank to roll on its axis.

IMG_7362.JPG IMG_7364.JPG IMG_7376.JPG

Once the tank was able to roll and stay in place, I was able to mark the centers of the tank by using a "calibrated stick" and a marker. Rotate the tank and repeat. Once you have a bunch of marks, you average out the marks and there's center.

IMG_7366.JPG IMG_7367.JPG

More to come. :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
I'm sure you know what you're doing but I would be extremely cautious about grinding and welding on an enclosed tank - especially one that had propane, gasoline, or just about anything else. My luck - I'd make the 5 o'clock news and then the obit page. :lol:

·
Administrator
20,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sure you know what you're doing but I would be extremely cautious about grinding and welding on an enclosed tank - especially one that had propane, gasoline, or just about anything else. My luck - I'd make the 5 o'clock news and then the obit page. :lol:
Yes, you're absolutely right. :hi:

If you notice, I mentioned filling the tank with water. This was done countless times and left open and exposed for over a year. The dangers were minimized as much as possible. :thumbup1gif:

Nobody should try this on their own with understanding the dangers involved. :good2:

I edited my original post to include a warning.

·
Administrator
20,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So now it needs an axle to roll about on. First I cut the holes out on the ends of the tank on my new centered and marked holes.

IMG_7374.JPG IMG_7375.JPG

Next was to extend the current axle to the needed dimensions.

IMG_7377.JPG IMG_7378.JPG IMG_7379.JPG IMG_7380.JPG

Then there was the fun task of stuffing the axle through the precision holes. My excited neighbor lended me a hand for this.

IMG_7381.JPG IMG_7382.JPG IMG_7383.JPG

I then reassembled the hubs with some fresh grease and put the whole thing on jack stands.

Now I have to figure out how to correct for that. The axles stubs were installed at a slight angle within the axle tube to compensate for weight on the axle. So now they have some runout. At least the axle was centered in the tank. That turned out well.

Hmmmm. How to come up with a hitch assembly to compensate for slightly wobbly axles? :lol:

Oh, the 2720 can no longer lift the tank. That's with it chained to my Artillian fork carrier so the load is close to the pivot pin. It's heavy, real heavy. Need to order some bungs and plugs too.

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
I shall call this "The BAR" because that is one Big Arse Roller! :laugh:

·
Administrator
20,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My neighbor and I were joking about calling it the "mole roller" or "mole crusher." :lol:

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
:munch::munch:

My tank still stinks. It's gotten better over time, but every time I drain it the smell comes back. Not as bad, but it's still there.

My tank is ever so slightly off center and wobbles just a bit, but it hasn't been a problem. I used a pin hitch that connects to the drawbar and it has enough play to let the roller frame move the way it needs to. Yours looks great, can't wait to see it finished. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
My neighbor and I were joking about calling it the "mole roller" or "mole crusher." :lol:
"M2: Mole Moosher"

Btw, mercaptan rapidly degrades in fire. Use a weed burner to torch the stuff out of the tank and the stink will be gone quickly.

I've had tanks upside down for a year that still smelled when cut open with a cutoff wheel. Then had recently un-corked (de-valved) ones that I cut with plasma and there was no stink at all.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Actually I thought the run-out looked pretty good considering. I doubt that would ever be a problem at the slow roller revolutions it will be making.

·
Administrator
20,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The ground doesn't care that your axle isn't centered - weight applied to the dirt won't change at all.
The axle is centered, no problem. The issue is the axle stubs are not straight out of the tank. They are "bent" causing the hub to wallow around. A rigid hitch will cause bearing failure or something else to break.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,069 Posts
Actually I thought the run-out looked pretty good considering. I doubt that would ever be a problem at the slow roller revolutions it will be making.
I agree with both statements. Please don't tell dieselshadow.

·
Administrator
20,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
While I didn't put a dial indicator on the flange, it looks to me to have about 1/8" runout. It's much worse that's it looks in the video. The other side is about half of that one.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,069 Posts
While I didn't put a dial indicator on the flange, it looks to me to have about 1/8" runout. It's much worse that's it looks in the video. The other side is about half of that one.
Pillow blocks?

·
Administrator
20,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
But he's already got those nice wheel hubs mounted.

Lots of cars use flexible rubber joints in their driveshafts for angularity issues. It's not an odd practice.
There's an idea. :thumbup1gif:

1 - 20 of 191 Posts