Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well chalk up another victim of Deere's crappy battery on the 1026R. Took mine out today to remove the loader and hoe for some yard work. I got the loader off and re-positioned to remove the hoe, tried to start it back up and nothing but weird noises from the dash. I was kind of in a pinch because we are getting some trees cut that need to be moved for a construction project to start Friday so I ran to Wally World and picked up a 51R. Got it in and she fired right up. My tractor was purchased new 9/2012 and the battery was marked 2012 as well, always stored indoors with heat in the winter. The way it sounds, I guess I am lucky to get 4 years out of it.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I got ya beat...the battery in my new Polaris ATV lasted from March until September. I mean one day it was stone dead, would not hold a charge, had never been discharged or anything. replaced with a new AGM Deka battery and all fixed.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Premium Member
12,697 Posts
Well chalk up another victim of Deere's crappy battery on the 1026R.
Sorry to hear it and welcome to the "Click" Club.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I got ya beat...the battery in my new Polaris ATV lasted from March until September. I mean one day it was stone dead, would not hold a charge, had never been discharged or anything. replaced with a new AGM Deka battery and all fixed.
I bought a new 2016 Polaris Sportsman Touring 1000 XP... same thing happened. Took delivery in May, by August or so in the summer, it went dead. I did not call the dealer or anything, just charged it up and it took a charge. We'll see how long it lasts again. It's probably dead now, as I havn't driven it in a while.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I'd say you were lucky to get 4 years out of it. I bought my 1025r new in 2014 and the battery died earlier this year. I only got about 2 years. Plus mine was running at the time it died, had started just fine right before. When I pushed the lift button to raise the MMM everything in the dash flashed and the engine died, battery was dead as a doornail.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Wow! That could be dangerous.

I didn't see a date on my battery, but it's at least 4 years old, so the death wasn't lamented by any means.

I didn't have jumper cables, so I pulled it and put it on the charger right away. When it took 2 of the available 6 amps (little charger), I knew the ghost had left.

·
Registered
592 Posts
My India battery died last week too!

Fine one day, back out a couple later and it wouldn't turn the dash on, much less take a charge.

Went with a deep cycle from Costco.
Make sure you get a deep cycle that's also rated for starting engines or you might be replacing it again soon.

EDIT: I should add I tried a deep cycle on an old MF tractor, as that's all I had available. It failed pretty quickly, but that was 30-something years ago. Things have likely changed. :good2:

·
Registered
967 Posts
Same year tractor here.... Notice the battery was a little sluggish this spring and changed it out. Caught it in time I would guess based on your post. :greentractorride:

·
Premium Member
12,697 Posts
Same year tractor here.... Notice the battery was a little sluggish this spring and changed it out. Caught it in time I would guess based on your post.
You were very fortunate that the battery exhibited some sluggish behavior. The battery in my 2720 was dated Dec/2011 and it died this summer. Up to that point it never waivered at all. In fact on the day it died it started right up with full energy, I pulled the tractor out of the garage, the tractor sat for about 20-mins and when I went to restart it there was just a big click and that was all she wrote.

The battery in my old JD 175 Hydro riding mower was 9 years old and always started the engine without hesitation. One day I mowed the yard on a Wed. and on Friday I tried starting the engine and it didn't even click... stone dead.

With the 2720 battery I was lucky to have my jump box because the tractor was blocking the driveway. I feel much better about dealing with SDBS (Sudden Death Battery Syndrome) since getting the jump box. It saved me with the tractor and saved me once when a brand new battery in the car decided to drop a cell. It even recently saved the neighbor when their car battery decided to go face down.

JNC660.jpg

So it seems one is very lucky if you get ANY warning at all of battery failure.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,832 Posts
The evil "dead battery" elf must be making his rounds, had to replace the battery in the IH 274 about a month ago.
Think I got about 7 years out of it, which I figure ain't bad.
2 cells shot according to the hydrometer, probably sulfation caught up with it the way top of the plates looked.

Went back with the same Autozone type, have had good luck with Autozone batteries.

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
You were very fortunate that the battery exhibited some sluggish behavior. The battery in my 2720 was dated Dec/2011 and it died this summer. Up to that point it never waivered at all. In fact on the day it died it started right up with full energy, I pulled the tractor out of the garage, the tractor sat for about 20-mins and when I went to restart it there was just a big click and that was all she wrote.

The battery in my old JD 175 Hydro riding mower was 9 years old and always started the engine without hesitation. One day I mowed the yard on a Wed. and on Friday I tried starting the engine and it didn't even click... stone dead.

With the 2720 battery I was lucky to have my jump box because the tractor was blocking the driveway. I feel much better about dealing with SDBS (Sudden Death Battery Syndrome) since getting the jump box. It saved me with the tractor and saved me once when a brand new battery in the car decided to drop a cell. It even recently saved the neighbor when their car battery decided to go face down.

View attachment 266793

So it seems one is very lucky if you get ANY warning at all of battery failure.
That Jump N Carry 660 is a great unit. its what i used a couple of weekends ago when i was stranded in Madison Wi. i jumped my car with it 6 times and still had pleanty of power when we got home. Well worth the money. I have used it on my 1020 and my old corvette. never a problem.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
A little while ago I was out on my tractor and stopped at a little restaurant up the road for a bite to eat. Came out and got the wonderful clicks and gauges bouncing around. Knew it was the battery but couldn't believe it. Not once had it ever seemed weak. A employee offered to jump start me from their suv but it wouldn't do it. Let it idle for 15 mins and still wouldn't turn my tractor over. A customer pulled her mini van up and we connected it along with suv and the two of them started my tractor and I drove on home. I took my battery off and carried it to be tested and they said it was toast. I decided to not buy the auto zone battery they had in stock and make a trip to the dealer for another Deere battery thinking that maybe just maybe it would be better. I now know from reading all the battery stories since joining this forum that I was a dumb a$$ in my thinking and I'm just waiting for the day that the tractor won't start again and I'm betting it's sooner than later I'll get to enjoy that experience.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Had a battery in a 2305 die quickly. One minute it started, mowed a half acre, shut it off to clean the deck and it was done. It was two years old. This summer had an expensive marine battery die in two months--fired up and when I shut it off and tried to restart, I had nothing.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Something to keep in mind guys, most of the batteries on the market other than the specialties like Odyssey, are made by either Deka, Johnson Controls, or Exide, and all of these different brands are nothing more than a sticker. JD doesn't make batteries, their contract manufactured by one of those big 3.

From my research on batteries dying, one of the most common causes of early battery death are if they sit for a long time on a shelf and are allowed to discharge for an extended period. Or, if they are not activated and pre-charged correctly prior to installation.

Man dad has a battery in his International tractor that is at least 10 years old, and still going strong. :dunno:

My F250 had it's Motorcraft battery completely die after 2 years and was replaced under warranty...with 2500 miles on the truck.

·
Premium Member
2,901 Posts
Kind of afraid to comment here, my 1026 was new in May 2012 and the original battery seems good. I hope it doesn't let me down in the dead of winter but I hate to buy a new battery too early on the tractor. The truck is a different story, always try to catch them before they catch me. :hide:

·
Premium Member
12,697 Posts
Kind of afraid to comment here, my 1026 was new in May 2012 and the original battery seems good. I hope it doesn't let me down in the dead of winter but I hate to buy a new battery too early on the tractor. The truck is a different story, always try to catch them before they catch me. :hide:
Unfortunately they usually are all perfectly functional right up to the final CLICK. Your best bet is to have an alternative means to start the tractor like a jump box or charger that has a start mode. The only thing certain is that when the battery goes it will be at the worst possible time.

·
Registered
12,479 Posts
Unfortunately they usually are all perfectly functional right up to the final CLICK. Your best bet is to have an alternative means to start the tractor like a jump box or charger that has a start mode. The only thing certain is that when the battery goes it will be at the worst possible time.
I am on the third battery for the 2520 mcut,:hide: and i hope i'm not jinxing myself now. but the 2nd one died several yrs while it was at the dealer for something. they called me and wanted to know what i wanted to do:dunno: said i could come over and put the new one in, or let them, of course their was labor for installing it.:nunu::banghead:. I can't remember how long that one lasted, but not too long either. this last one i installed, and charged it myself before hooking it up. i have a battery tender:hide: still in the plastic, just not hooked up yet:nunu::laugh:

aw-remembered why it was at the dealer's for. the front axle seal had started leaking. so it was around 2 to the 3 yr warranty time frame. and the price of battery's has went thru the roof around here. jeez!

Reactions: spferdil

·
Premium Member
7,918 Posts
Yep, I had the same thing happen to my 4200's battery a couple of weeks ago. NAPA and O'Reilly said the battery was fine and just needed charging.

I just put one of these on my 4200 today.

https://no.co/g3500

I got it from Amazon for a decent price. I also got the 10' extension cord, which I needed. If it works as good as the reviews say it does, then I may get another one.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts