·
Registered
3,218 Posts
I hope I'm still cutting firewood at 80

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Sorry to read this

I'm sorry to read that post. It's something many of us have done, just reach over and push the lever but obviously not a safe or good move.

Thanks for the reminder that the only safe place to operate a tractor is in the seat.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Tragic ..yes

I wish there were more details.

How did it get knocked into gear?...Old Ford Powershift auto?

:munch:

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
My FIL makes me nervous, he'll reach up from the back of the tractors. Doesn't make nervous so much that he's doing it, he's been doing that for 60 years, but he is now almost 78 and no way can he move fast enough to get out of harms way. I say it every time someone posts a story like this, reminders are never a bad thing, be safe out there.

·
Registered
11,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tragic ..yes

news lady said on local news that some one figured he mistook the gear lever for the bucket lever-it then ran over him-rear wheel-i'm thinking:dunno:

don't know the model or make of tractor-didn't mention that. they just said a farming tractor accident.
last night on local news they said about another tractor accident-no name--of person or age--just said they died.

plus a 15 old boy died at a YMCA camp-not that far from us.:pray:

·
Registered
500 Posts
Tragic ..yes

One year when I was about 13 years old on my Uncle's farm we were herding cattle back to the home farm. He was driving the model 8n, and my cousins and I were in the International 1-ton. One of the cows went off into a ravine so he knocked the shifter into neutral and jumped off the tractor to chase it out. He missed neutral and hit it into another gear. So here's my uncle chasing the tractor around the pasture field and every time it hit a bump it would change direction. Well, it took a few seconds but he caught up to it, grabbed both rear fenders and vaulted into the seat. It was funny at the time, but I look at it from a different perspective now and I know how badly that could have turned out. As it's been said many times on here, let's be careful out there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts