Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a little back story:

A few weeks ago I purchased one of Kennyd's 5000 psi gauges to check my hydraulic pressure because the FEL seemed a little weak. I ran three tests, 2000 psi, 1975 psi and 2000 psi were my results. I happened to be at my dealership while purchasing a Frontier rotary cutter and got shooting the bull with the service manager. Looking at the tech manual there are a few relief valves on these tractors, so I was really questioning which one to use to make the adjustment. So Tom (service manager) says to me "you know Pat, if you word that the right way I can adjust that under warranty". I was pretty quick on the take this time so I said "okay Tom, my FEL doesn't seem to be picking up as much as it should", he said, "now we have a problem, I'll take your word for it on the diagnosis and send a guy up to your place first chance I get"

Tech stopped today and adjusted the main relief valve, he said his initial test with his gauge was only 1900, adjusted it to 2200 psi on his gauge and it is reading 2300 psi on my gauge. If anyone in New York needs a great dealership I would highly recommend Cazenovia Equipment Company, even if they are not your closest dealer it will be worth the drive. :good2:

Now the only question is, who's gauge is correct :mocking:

Either way, 300 psi jump in hydraulic pressure should be more than noticeable IMO.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The one that makes it be adjusted to pick up more in my best Tim Allen voice.
I agree, I'm putting my money on Kenny's :good2:

:lol:

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
I agree, I'm putting my money on Kenny's :good2:

:lol:
I probably would too. :good2: I hooked up my "Kenny-gauge" to my tractor a couple of weeks ago and it was dead-on 2500 psi. I'm pretty sure that's what the factory spec for my 3520 is.

I read your first post in this thread last night, Pat. That then led me down the path of reading a bunch of threads on "turning up the pressure" in our systems. Still on the fence on whether or not I want to ratchet mine up another couple hundred pounds or not. I'm wondering if it would give me a little extra oomph when I'm running my tree puller.

By the way, CONGRATS on having such a great dealer!! Pretty cool that they would send a guy to your house to do this at no charge. I only live 1.5 miles from my dealer and I doubt they would do that.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I probably would too. :good2: I hooked up my "Kenny-gauge" to my tractor a couple of weeks ago and it was dead-on 2500 psi. I'm pretty sure that's what the factory spec for my 3520 is.

I read your first post in this thread last night, Pat. That then led me down the path of reading a bunch of threads on "turning up the pressure" in our systems. Still on the fence on whether or not I want to ratchet mine up another couple hundred pounds or not. I'm wondering if it would give me a little extra oomph when I'm running my tree puller.

By the way, CONGRATS on having such a great dealer!! Pretty cool that they would send a guy to your house to do this at no charge. I only live 1.5 miles from my dealer and I doubt they would do that.
Thanks Mark, my pressure was low according to specs, my tech manual states 2000-2250 is within spec with 2350 max pressure for this FEL. I’m quite sure I will see quite a difference, 300 psi jump is a pretty good step up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Dang it Pat!

Im jealous of your dealer sending techs to your house. My dealer is pretty small, and the only home service is to pick up a tractor, lol.
Ive got to order a gauge myself, and figure out the adjustment so I dont have to take it to the dealer. Im not sure they would "word it to be covered" and Id like to know how to do it anyway.

Be sure to follow up with us and let everyone know if youve noticed a difference in the lift capacity!
I know at times I could use a little extra oomph.
Of course if I had it, I bet Id still have times where I could use a bit more...its a never ending cycle!

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dang it Pat!

Im jealous of your dealer sending techs to your house.

Be sure to follow up with us and let everyone know if youve noticed a difference in the lift capacity!
I know at times I could use a little extra oomph.
My dealer is not small, they do as much on customer site as possible, it saves the added expense of trucking.

Now, I just went up and finished the pile by the cemetery, last weekend I could not lift a full bucket (it is heavy stuff though), this morning was absolutely no trouble right to the top of the cylinders. And add that today this stuff is wet from the hurricane remnants that came through the other day.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
My dealer is not small, they do as much on customer site as possible, it saves the added expense of trucking.

Now, I just went up and finished the pile by the cemetery, last weekend I could not lift a full bucket (it is heavy stuff though), this morning was absolutely no trouble right to the top of the cylinders. And add that today this stuff is wet from the hurricane remnants that came through the other day.

Reckon they have a tech with F-150 experience?

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Reckon they have a tech with F-150 experience?
I’m thinking that by now a JD tech would’ve had better luck than a Ford tech

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Here is a little back story:

A few weeks ago I purchased one of Kennyd's 5000 psi gauges to check my hydraulic pressure because the FEL seemed a little weak. I ran three tests, 2000 psi, 1975 psi and 2000 psi were my results. I happened to be at my dealership while purchasing a Frontier rotary cutter and got shooting the bull with the service manager. Looking at the tech manual there are a few relief valves on these tractors, so I was really questioning which one to use to make the adjustment. So Tom (service manager) says to me "you know Pat, if you word that the right way I can adjust that under warranty". I was pretty quick on the take this time so I said "okay Tom, my FEL doesn't seem to be picking up as much as it should", he said, "now we have a problem, I'll take your word for it on the diagnosis and send a guy up to your place first chance I get"

Tech stopped today and adjusted the main relief valve, he said his initial test with his gauge was only 1900, adjusted it to 2200 psi on his gauge and it is reading 2300 psi on my gauge. If anyone in New York needs a great dealership I would highly recommend Cazenovia Equipment Company, even if they are not your closest dealer it will be worth the drive. :good2:

Now the only question is, who's gauge is correct :mocking:

Either way, 300 psi jump in hydraulic pressure should be more than noticeable IMO.

PJR832
Thanks for sharing that info. We have Lindsey Equip in our area not impressed at all, try to stay away from them at all cost. Which Cazenovia Equip do you use?

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
PJR832
Thanks for sharing that info. We have Lindsey Equip in our area not impressed at all, try to stay away from them at all cost. Which Cazenovia Equip do you use?
Mine is the Oneonta location, from what I’ve heard it is chain wide great service.

·
Registered
11,640 Posts
Thanks Mark, my pressure was low according to specs, my tech manual states 2000-2250 is within spec with 2350 max pressure for this FEL. I’m quite sure I will see quite a difference, 300 psi jump is a pretty good step up.

now i guess it is time to bite the bullet, and get me one of them gauges-huh:munch:been saying that since KennyD put em up for sale. guess now is the time.

man-i tell ya-u got a new brush hog, got new pressure gauge-ur getting worse than Gizmo2-:gizmo:wanting me to spend, spend.:mocking::lolol:my wife doesn't know what i just wrote-but as i was laughing at this she said i quote:u fellas sure seem to make him laugh a lot.:mocking: :hide: little does she know i want to spend some moneyee.......

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Thought Id keep all this in the same thread, though its a bit hard to find if one is searching for 2025 and anything to do with pressure increase on FEL.

Anyway, I finally got my gauge from Kenny. Well, I finally ordered it. It certainly didnt take Kenny long to ship it, as usual, his normal fast shipping had it to me in 3 days.
I got around to checking my pressure.
Just like Pat, I found I was below the listed specs. I was nearer to 1900 PSI than he was by a small margin. Came close to 2000 on one test, but most were 1950 at best.
It now sits around 2275-3000. I made it just a hair higher than a 300 psi increase.

FYI, the service manual does not detail how to do the adjustment, it just mentions that if its under, it should be adjusted.
Thanks.
But since Im kinda handy, and can figure out most things, I did this one myself.
Before I proceed with the process, Ill say that if you break it, you bought it. This is not a comprehensive guide, and I certainly dont recommend you go goofing with it if you dont know 100% that it needs adjusted. Mine did, so I did. Sure the dealer could have, but I prefer to do things that Im able to myself. And Im not a patient person, and my dealer isnt as awesome as Pats, so Id have had to be without my tractor for a while for them to do it, and then Id have to hope they adjusted it to the high side instead of just a hair more than it was.
Anyway, proceed at your own risk.
The procedure is fairly simple really.
One could probably do it without removing anything if you had the proper tools, and the valve cooperates.
Mine didnt, but I had it all apart anyway, so no big deal.
Procedure is:
Remove Right rear wheel.
Remove lower fender, which is two bolts on the top, one in the rear cubby, one in the cupholder.
Remove foot pad bolts. You may be able to get by with only removing the rearmost two as these are the two that actually hold the lower fender in place, but I didnt do it that way.
The lower fender will then come out with a bit of wiggling and working it around the hydraulic lines on the front. Its not as hard as it sounds.

From there, its a piece of cake.
The valve is on the bottom, outside, of the SCV.
There is a nut and an allen screw in the center. Its like adjusting the valves on some old motorcycle. Loosen the nut, adjust the allen, tighten nut.
Screwing the allen in increases pressure. Screwing it out decreases pressure.

I do not know if it can be adjusted an the nut left loose while you check the pressure. I tightened everything after each adjustment.
My earlier comment about the valve not cooperating. What I mean by that is that the lower nut is attached to the entire relief valve that screws into the SCV. When I first went to loosen the adjustment nut, the whole valve started to unscrew. Obviously thats not a desirable thing. With the fender off, its easy to see. With the fender on, only the lower adjustment portion is accessible. That means that Id have had to remove it to fix it, if I hadnt already.

The whole procedure took me about an hour start to finish.
I would assume the procedure for the 1025 is the same.

I cant say how much stronger it is, as all the big logs I was moving or trying to are mostly all cut up and split at this point.
I do know that the increase in pressure the 2025 has over the 1025 is a small increase in loader capacity. This is a bigger increase still, and as Pat said, 300 psi should be easily noticeable. I dont plan to run at its limit very often, but having it set to the high side of the spec should help out quite a bit vs having it set 100 psi below it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts