Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This all started a couple of days ago, I've been looking for a NTM pickup. Found one Tuesday just north of Kansas City, called the dealership & discussed it with a salesman. Arranged to go check it out this morning, salesman called about 7 pm yesterday to tell me it had sold, so I started looking on the internet again. Found a nicer one in Waukee, IA (west Des Moines), made the call before 8 last night, talked it over with a salesman, made a $500 deposit to hold it for us. We left home at 6:30 this morning to get there by 9:30, looked it over, drove it & made the deal. I had them add a few things & it was after 1:30 when we left the dealership. Got just to the south edge of DM, in a construction area where they were tearing out a lane. The car in front of me jigger over & I didn't have time to miss the nearly bowling ball sized chunk of concrete with a piece of rebar sticking out of it! Ruined the right front tire, I got off the road OK & fortunately for me, the Iowa DOT job supervisor saw it happen! He picked up the chunk, then came to check that we were OK. Then he went for the construction foreman, when the foreman finally arrived, he shrugged & asked what he was "supposed to do about it". I told him the chunk had obviously fallen off one of his trucks & his company was responsible. He made a phone call & came back with an entirely different attitude! I'm sure he called his boss & was told to take care of it! He checked the tire brand & size, called a tire shop & after 2-1/2 hours setting beside I 35, we were on our way with a new tire paid for by the construction company! I'll still need to get it balanced, but that's no big deal.

By 8 pm, we finally made it home with our new (to us) Chevrolet 1500, 4wd crew cab, 16,700 miles: HPIM1641.JPG

Now, I'll spend at least the next two days getting it set up the way I want!

·
Corndog Hater
11,688 Posts
Beautiful truck and a memorable story to go with it. Glad you and your wife made it home safe. Enjoy the new ride!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Beautiful truck and a memorable story to go with it. Glad you and your wife made it home safe. Enjoy the new ride!��

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
X2! I know you are tired after the long day, but with the excitement of the new truck, then the mishap, it probably had you wound. Glad it was just a tire, and you and your wife (and truck) are OK.

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Nice truck, good story, home safe (finally), Looks like your batting 1000. Good Luck with it.

·
Registered
12,336 Posts
grnspot, nice looking ride, I thought as I was reading that the truck's under carriage got all tore up and u had to take it back to bodyshop before u even got home, glad ur all alright :bigthumb: boy did kennyD start every body looking for new rides! :hide::lolol: big jim

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,266 Posts
Nice ride. I quit looking. Glad everyone and everything are/is OK. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Congrats on your new ride. And glad you didn't have any truck body damage or no one got hurt. :thumbup1gif:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,507 Posts
Nice looking truck grnspot110. Have to say, I like gray trucks. A little late :lol: but I wish you good luck with it from this point forward.
What year is it?

·
Premium Member
5,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Nice looking truck grnspot110. Have to say, I like gray trucks. A little late :lol: but I wish you good luck with it from this point forward.
What year is it?
2013! I like to let somebody else wear the new price off.

I'm partial to the more muted colors, had a 2001 Chevy 2500HD that was just a little lighter gray than this one. The other one we were going to look at was the same age & color, with 8k more miles & fewer extras & about 2K cheaper. For me, this one is well worth the difference in price!

Bill, the vent shades are one of the first things on the list!

·
Corndog Hater
11,688 Posts
I must add Lowell, that I much prefer the body style of your 2013 to the current Chevy Silverado. :thumbup1gif:Of course I know myself, and when they restyle the current model, I will be saying the same thing about what they are selling right now.:unknown:

·
Premium Member
14,742 Posts
grnspot,, great looking ride and glad to hear only the tire was damaged and replaced. Had to be a scary ride for a few minutes..glad everything turned out OK :bigthumb:

·
Registered
22,748 Posts
Congrats on the new truck! And that stinks what happened on the way home.

When I picked up my present truck new I had to travel 190 miles each way - the dealers around here will not move from sticker price. This was my dream truck (pre-retirement) and went all out with this one.

Left the dealership and got on the highway. As soon as I got up to speed there it was - a dump truck ahead of me with no tarp -and a nice big #2 stone bouncing down the highway toward me. Yep - smack right into the front painted bumper - argghh!

Not nearly as bad as what you hit but I know the feeling.....

·
Premium Member
7,716 Posts
Congratulations on the truck! I bought a used NTM 2011 Silverado 1500. I REALLY wanted the 6.2 V8. I found 5. Two were in my state and the others 2 & 3 states away. One of the two in my state sold before I could go look at it. I looked at and drove the other, but did not want a black truck. I was ready for a looooong road trip to look at another, but the wife said "just buy the black truck", so I did.

What are your plans for it?

I added box rail covers, mudflaps, weathertech floor liners, Duha underseat storage box (thanks to 56fordguy), trailer brake controller, backup camera, and heated steering wheel. Plus removed the dealer sticker from the tailgate. I also put a hose clamp on the tailgate to prevent/slow down thieves.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,507 Posts
Congrats on the new truck! And that stinks what happened on the way home.

When I picked up my present truck new I had to travel 190 miles each way - the dealers around here will not move from sticker price. This was my dream truck (pre-retirement) and went all out with this one.

Left the dealership and got on the highway. As soon as I got up to speed there it was - a dump truck ahead of me with no tarp -and a nice big #2 stone bouncing down the highway toward me. Yep - smack right into the front painted bumper - argghh!

Not nearly as bad as what you hit but I know the feeling.....
I have to ask. Was Farmgirl driving the dump truck?:lol:

·
Premium Member
5,075 Posts
Congrats . . . . Nice truck and great story for such a looong day. Glad to be home and safe I'm sure. :good2:

·
Premium Member
5,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Congratulations on the truck! I bought a used NTM 2011 Silverado 1500. I REALLY wanted the 6.2 V8. I found 5. Two were in my state and the others 2 & 3 states away. One of the two in my state sold before I could go look at it. I looked at and drove the other, but did not want a black truck. I was ready for a looooong road trip to look at another, but the wife said "just buy the black truck", so I did.

What are your plans for it?

I added box rail covers, mudflaps, weathertech floor liners, Duha underseat storage box (thanks to 56fordguy), trailer brake controller, backup camera, and heated steering wheel. Plus removed the dealer sticker from the tailgate. I also put a hose clamp on the tailgate to prevent/slow down thieves.
Putting the Extang tri-fold cover off the '06 on it now, vent shades are on order, brake controller of the '06 should work, most everything else is already on this one! HPIM1642.JPG HPIM1643.JPG HPIM1644.JPG

1 - 20 of 49 Posts