Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is sort of for Gizmo2 because I read somewhere that he likes construction project photos:cool: The sloped area in front of my barn is not in good condition from erosion plus it gets muddy when it rains so I decided I'm going to lay some Turf Stone. I purchased enough pavers to do a 8 feet x 40 foot strip in front of the main doors. I'm going to use the backhoe and loader to dig an area 12 feet by 41 feet x approx 11 inches deep for 6 inches of baserock plus 1.5 inches of bedding sand and the 3.125 inch deep pavers. I have some baserock and some sand left over from my front entrance project you can see in the background that I'm going to use. The pavers cost $500 plus a $105 delivery charge.

I'll take some more photos as I get to the project which will be in the near future. I'm still working on the planting beds in front of my house.

For anyone who doesn't know what Turf Stone is the last photo is taken from the internet showing the pavers installed (not mine yet) and grass coming up through the holes in the pavers which is why I like them.

Attachments

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,875 Posts
jimfrits, You're the Man!
I have wanted a reason to use those for years now, still don't have a reason but I am glad you posted this up.
I (WE) get to learn something the easy way at your expense.:lol:
Looking forward to seeing your project.:good2:
BTW, you do such nice work could you please indicate where you screw up on this project cause looking at your last project its hard for me to find any. You know, just to make me feel good.

Reactions: jimfrits

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jimfrits, You're the Man!
I have wanted a reason to use those for years now, still don't have a reason but I am glad you posted this up.
I (WE) get to learn something the easy way at your expense.:lol:
Looking forward to seeing your project.:good2:
BTW, you do such nice work could you please indicate where you screw up on this project cause looking at your last project its hard for me to find any. You know, just to make me feel good.
Finally got the stone down, backfilled and seeded. I did this one pretty much by myself. Could not have done it without the tractor, loader and backhoe. At the lower end of the ramp I hit hardpan and the backhoe was the only way to dig in it. Even then it was some tough digging.

About a third of the way down in this photo.
2014-07-22 09.35.35.jpg

2014-07-22 09.35.08.jpg

These pavers will break if you aren't a little careful. I broke one of them seating it with a deadblow hammer. I replaced it later. Of the 120 on three pallets there were 10 that were broken on the bottom layers of the pallets. The yard where I bought them said they had moved them around many times with the forklift. They replaced all of the broken pavers. They weigh 58 pounds apiece and are real back breakers. My back was good until the last 6 and partially gave out but I managed to finish. They are heavy and large and that along with the fact that you have to lay them straight down without disturbing the sand bed makes it fairly difficult.
2014-07-22 09.34.50.jpg

All down and backfilled. One they were all down I ran the compactor over them to seat them more. I layed plywood down on top of the pavers and ran the compactor on top of that. It is an alternative way to do it if you don't have the optional pad to attach to the bottom of the compactor so it doesn't pound so hard in the pavers. I did crack a couple of pavers compacting them, but once they were backfilled they seem to be pretty solid and don't move at all. There is also edge restraint on the sides and lower end of the ramp. The gap at the barn doors which was about 3 inches I filled with concrete.
2014-07-24 16.54.31.jpg

I seeded and layed down some straw, but with the heat we were experiencing seeding was a waste of time. It is cooler now around here, but I can't keep the area moist with the sun and the wind. I'll probably end up reseeding this fall.
2014-07-29 11.58.47.jpg

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,350 Posts
Wow Jim, that looks fantastick! :thumbup1gif:

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Holy Cow!!! That looks awesome!!! Great job!! :good2:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,875 Posts
Looks great jimfrits.
I bet once the grass starts coming in it will look pristine.
Excellent job.:thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
14,923 Posts
Excellent job. Great looking.

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
Looks good!!! :thumbup1gif:

I have a slope in my back yard that could use those, but I've looked at them a Menard's & the price is holding me back. :gaah: ~~ Lowell

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks good!!! :thumbup1gif:

I have a slope in my back yard that could use those, but I've looked at them a Menard's & the price is holding me back. :gaah: ~~ Lowell
I looked at Menard's price, $6.99 each.....YIKES!:thumbsdown: I payed $4.16 each for mine.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great job Jim, you're the first person I've seen actually use those pavers. :good2:
Thanks. Yep, I'm the first and only one that I've seen also. I had gravel in front of the doors of my other barn (different property) and while it served the purpose I didn't like the way it looked after time. I thought I would try these.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I looked at Menard's price, $6.99 each.....YIKES!:thumbsdown: I payed $4.16 each for mine.
Damn, that's "cheap"! I looked at Menard's online and they were $8.74! I've got a couple spots where I think they would work really well but I'd go broke at that price. Granted, there isn't a Menard's this far south, at least not that I know of.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Great project...AND that barn is a beauty :good2: Love the doors....

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great project...AND that barn is a beauty :good2: Love the doors....
Thanks. There are going to be the same type of doors (without the glass) on the shed, but they have moved down the priority list with all of my other projects. I have the lumber for them neatly staked in my basement workshop where it's been for over a year now.!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts