Green Tractor Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Another possible seller scam

7K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  Kennyd 
#1 ·
Yesterday I became a new member of the forum and posted on the wanted to buy a need for backhoe brackets for my 4120. Today I received an official looking forum message from member Chris 07 telling me he had started a new conversation however when I clicked on the New Conversation button it didn’t take me any where. Also when I clicked on Chris 07, it said not valid member. This person said Phillip in Virginia has the brackets I need and to email Phillip in Virginia at phillipgreenwood04@gmail.com. I have exchanged a couple emails requesting a price and photos of the brackets with no response. I had no suspicions until reading a post from another member regarding getting scammed from person in Virginia on purchasing forks for his tractor. These guys in Virginia appear to be trolling this forum for people unaware of their dishonest intentions. I don’t understand how an outsider could get access to my email to PM me with an official looking (phony) Green Tractor Talk prompt. Maybe a forum administrator can advise members how to tell fake messages to avoid being preyed upon.
Anyway thought it was important to share my experience with members and lesson learned, I should only communicate directly on the forum platform until legitimate communication can be established. I really like this forum and hope this issue can be resolved. Jim

#3 ·
insist on pics of bracket with todays paper or His DL in the pic.

be carefull.......dreams do come true but tread lightly.

#5 ·
Jim, the short answer is that member got banned yesterday morning. When that happened, we have the option to do a 'spam clean', which deletes all post and conversations made by that member. Your notification from GTT that you got a new conversation is legit, but since I had banned that member and the system did the clean, the system had nothing to show you in that conversation, which is why it couldn't take you anywhere.

Also, don't get hooked on these scammers being in Virginia. They'll tell you they are anywhere in the country, when in reality they're usually not even on this side of the planet. Part of their key purpose is not to be close enough to you for you to be able to see the goods in person. That way all transactions are easier to be done electronically (for them), which also makes it harder for you to get your money back, which usually doesn't happen.

As you mentioned, it is recommended that all conversations be within the PM (conversations) section of the site, for your protection, until you feel comfortable. No one else that is not a part of the conversation can see the PMs in case you're wondering.

Thank you for telling about this incident. We work hard to catch these scammers, but it's not possible to monitor everyone that joins the site. It takes investigation and experience to know who to 'home in on' and reports like this help tell us that we're on the right track.

#6 ·
Jim, the short answer is that member got banned yesterday morning. When that happened, we have the option to do a 'spam clean', which deletes all post and conversations made by that member. Your notification from GTT that you got a new conversation is legit, but since I had banned that member and the system did the clean, the system had nothing to show you in that conversation, which is why it couldn't take you anywhere.

Also, don't get hooked on these scammers being in Virginia. They'll tell you they are anywhere in the country, when in reality they're usually not even on this side if the planet. Part of their key purpose is not to be close enough to you for you to be able to see the goods in person. That way all transactions are easier to be done electronically (for them), which also makes it harder for you to get your money back, which usually doesn't happen.

As you mentioned, it is recommended that all conversations be within the PM (conversations) section of the site, for your protection, until you feel comfortable. No one else that is not a part of the conversation can see the PMs in case you're wondering.

Thank you for telling about this incident. We work hard to catch these scammers, but it's not possible to monitor everyone that joins the site. It takes investigation and experience to know who to 'home in on' and reports like this help tell us that we're on the right track.
One more example of why I have always said "Kyle is the (da) man"................... (y)

#12 ·
I'm going post in Wanted to Buy a 2018 1025R Catastrophic Converter. I bet there's one in VA. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

#14 ·
Be sure to specify if you need the chrome or the double throw down type. 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.