Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I acquired the backhoe for my 1025R, I've spent some time getting the rotating seat to work the way I want it to work. There are a couple of other posts on this ongoing project. I'm not sure if this is really maintenance, but I'm not sure where to post ideas on getting things to work like they should.

To rotate the seat for use with the backhoe, you first must rotate the seat belt mechanisms down so that they don't block the movement of the seat. Adjusting the bolt and lock nut on each assembly is tricky. Too loose, and the seat belt mechanisms are always hanging down. You have to dig them out each time you want to use the seat belt. Too tight and they are hard to manage. There's also a grinding sensation that I didn't like. I could never find the "just right" position where the mechanisms would stay upright when desired but easily rotate down when it was necessary.

So I bought a couple of M10 spring washers for 27 cents each. Spring washers look like bent flat washers, but that's their shape. The metal in them is thin and springy. They allow the adjustment of tension in parts that must rotate.

I removed the seat belt mechanisms from the mounting brackets on the seat. I used a brush to grease the contact area on the metal of the mounting bracket, the seat belt mechanisms, and both sides of the spring washers. Before reassembly, the spring washer is inserted between the greased metal parts. Then the lock nuts are tightened until the retention force feels right. The mechanisms can be easily rotated, but they will stay where you put them. There's no grinding sensation when rotating them.

It's possible that driving over really rough ground could lead to unwanted rotation of the seat belt mechanisms. But I always have my seat belt on for rough ground. And the seat belt, in use, would keep both mechanisms upright.

Hopefully, this is my last fix for the rotating seat for awhile. Thankfully it was very inexpensive to implement.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
My seat belts lie somewhere on the floor under the seat invisible under a camouflaging layer of dirt, gum wrappers and Oreo crumbs. Used once, they jerked me back into reality much too harshly as I jumped out of the seat with them fastened to move some furniture... Nice shot of the "spring washer" though!
:laugh:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts