Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, I hate to admit how unaware I am of dangers on a tractor. I really didn't want to post this because of my stupidity but I thought it might keep someone else from doing what I did. I do remember reading my manual and it says to dismount my 1023e scut from the left side as your sitting on seat. Anyway, when I was backing my tractor into the garage with left side of tractor next to wall I started to bump into my recycle container. I stopped put tractor in neutral and applied the parking brake. I then stepped down off of the tractor on the right side being careful not to hit the loader lever so I thought. When my left foot hit the garage floor I noticed that the lever had gone up my right leg and into my shorts and I couldn't get my leg free. At the same time the tractor was moving and I wasn't sure what was happening. I looked and saw the loader was pushing on the floor and the bucket was curled all the way to the vertical position. I quickly reached and turned off tractor. This all happened in a matter of seconds!!! Thankfully again I was being watched over! If I remember correctly I also think the manual says to turn off tractor when dismounting. So a couple more lessons learned, "ALWAYS STEP OFF LEFT SIDE OF TRACTOR AND TURN TRACTOR OFF BEFORE DISMOUNTING!!!" The safest being turn off tractor before dismounting. I hope I don't have anymore of these threads because of my ignorance!!!:oops:

·
Administrator
20,366 Posts
Sometimes it’s the simplest things that get ya. Thanks for sharing. :drinks:

BTW, I’ve never done that myself....ya right. :mocking:

·
Premium Member
11,015 Posts
Even getting off the left side isn't always safe. A few weeks after taking delivery of my 2720 I was dismounting to the left and that stupid tall bat wing-like transmission range selector lever went right up the pant leg on my shorts. I almost took a giant header to the ground but managed to save myself. As a result my lever is a bit off and no longer matches the markings. When in neutral it is about 1/3 of the way to the low marking. I guess something bent slightly but that was over 4 years ago and everything has been fine. Why oh why JD felt the need to make that selector handle knob so wide and the shaft so tall... I guess they were going for the Rat Rod look.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,203 Posts
:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

I never did any of those things!!! Not any that I'm admitting to anyway. :hide2:

That's why it's so easy to laugh about it, been there, done that. Shorts are a danger when on a tractor. I've also been known to let my tractor lay down on the job. :hide:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks jgayman, I guess the manual should say "WARNING DON'T WEAR SHORTS!!!!" while operating tractors!!!

·
Registered
12,577 Posts
Thanks mikdor. :thumbup1gif:
Unfortunately, like dieselshadow, I've done the same thing more times than I'd like to admit.
I'll bet most of us have done that :lol:

Thanks for not being to proud mikdor :bigbeer:

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
It's happened to me on my tractor, told my wife I was violated by the bucket lever. Another time I was leaning against my kitchen counter and went to walk off and drug the utensil drawer out and on to the floor because the handle was stuck in my pocket. Just one of those what the H moments.

·
Premium Member
14,133 Posts
Like others have done that to many times, dismounting from both sides and yes wearing shorts. Did the same thing dismounting the BH and of course the engine was running. :laugh:

·
Super Moderator
4,895 Posts
I may or may not have had similar things happen in the few short years I've owned my tractor. You'll never get me to admit it if I did!

(But I *can* tell you from personal experience that a coat can get hung up on the loader SCV control pretty easily too!)

:laugh:

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Never done that one

I may or may not have had similar things happen in the few short years I've owned my tractor. You'll never get me to admit it if I did!

(But I *can* tell you from personal experience that a coat can get hung up on the loader SCV control pretty easily too!)

:laugh:
I can safely say I've never done that particular stunt but only because I don't wear shorts except on a beach. I have gotten pants pockets and coats hung on controls.

Maybe we should all either wear bunny suits without pockets or drive naked. With mayflies, wasps and other bugs I ain't going the bare look!

I do try to drop the FEL bucket and any implements to the ground when I stop the tractor. I've leaned against a FEL loader control when talking and gave myself a scare.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
111 Posts
Wearing Shorts While Using Tractor:

Glad everything turned out ok with no one getting hurt but also let me remind you of a couple more things that are just as bad. I sometimes wear carpenter jeans with the hammer sling. I stepped off on the rights side of my tractor with the hammer sling catching the throttle lever pulling it wide open but at least the gear jammer was not in gear. I have also dismounted on the left side and pulling my leg thru the opening between the steering wheel and seat catching the gearshift up my pants leg snatching it into gear. With one leg half off and the other with the gearshift sticking up it is certainly not a good feeling. As the old saying goes you can never be too careful operating machinery.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I learned not to enter or exit a compact tractor on the right side about 19 years ago when I was looking to buy my first compact tractor.
My late son & I were at a Kubota dealership looking at a tractor. The salesman started it up & then proceeded to show us around the tractor.
We were standing on the right side of the tractor when the salesman told my son to get on the tractor. My son, not knowing any different, climbed up on the right side as he had done on larger farm tractors. As he got on the tractor, he stepped on the hydro pedal causing the tractor to move. The salesman had not set the parking brake. The salesman apologized & then explained that it was never a good idea to enter & exit a compact tractor on the right side.
To this day, I have never done it.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Yup, been there, done that, I'm a member of this club too. I don't usually wear shorts working with the tractor, but as said, pockets in various places have caught a knob or lever on occasion. Luckily, nothing bad has happened.

Be safe out there.

·
Premium Member
11,015 Posts
I learned not to enter or exit a compact tractor on the right side about 19 years ago when I was looking to buy my first compact tractor.
My late son & I were at a Kubota dealership looking at a tractor. The salesman started it up & then proceeded to show us around the tractor.
We were standing on the right side of the tractor when the salesman told my son to get on the tractor. My son, not knowing any different, climbed up on the right side as he had done on larger farm tractors. As he got on the tractor, he stepped on the hydro pedal causing the tractor to move. The salesman had not set the parking brake. The salesman apologized & then explained that it was never a good idea to enter & exit a compact tractor on the right side.
To this day, I have never done it.
Doesn't Kubota have a seat switch? Most tractors have to be started in neutral and will shut off if put into gear without someone on the seat.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,120 Posts
Thanks jgayman, I guess the manual should say "WARNING DON'T WEAR SHORTS!!!!" while operating tractors!!!
LZR Elite 2 Jammer Speedo...

7050700_013.jpg

:munch:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,203 Posts
Doesn't Kubota have a seat switch? Most tractors have to be started in neutral and will shut off if put into gear without someone on the seat.
19 years ago? Don't think so. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
11,015 Posts
19 years ago? Don't think so. :dunno:
Oh... geesh, somehow I read right past that part. Duh. :) Still surprising as my 30-year old JD riding mower had a seat switch.

·
Registered
12,577 Posts
1 - 20 of 59 Posts