Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not long after I signed off from this fabulous site this morning, I got a call from a friend about his Zero Turn. It's a Bad Boy brand with a little over 700 hr. He told me it was making a chirping sound while the engine is running; and leaks oil onto the frame. He and his son replaced the right side head gasket at ~300 hr.
He asked if I'd work on it and I told him, "no problem - load the wagon". So, I hook up my utility trailer and drove to his house to pick it up. After I got home, I unloaded it and parked it in my shop. I removed the right head and found the head gasket was blown.
IMG_3431.JPG

When I was removing the head, the two lower head bolts were not very tight. :dunno: I barely used any force while removing. The two upper bolts were tight as a frog's anus.:mocking: Hope I can say that..... :hide: I have no idea why the gasket failed the first time, but I have a suspicion, on the second go 'round, they may not have torqued the bolts to specs. :unknown:

Anyway, the head doesn't seem to be bad. I cleaned the head surface and check for any warpness. In an area near the damaged gasket, it barely has .004 clearance under the straight-edge. I resurfaced the head with a flat file and that trued it up. I checked the cylinder head surface also and it was found to be true.
IMG_3436.JPG

This thing must have been leaking for a while. Can you believe I didn't pressure wash this thing before working on it. :banghead: Working on equipment on a job-site is one thing. I have no choice but to work on it as is(clean, or dirty). But, this thing was here in my shop. :banghead: I should not have even posted this pic. I will however, give it a good bath before I return it. :good2:
IMG_3426.JPG

I went to the local Bad Boy dealer who is 5 miles from me. They sell X-Mark, Bad Boy and Echo products. They had the gaskets I needed in stock. I'll be replacing the four head bolts, but they had none in stock. They ordered them and should arrive tomorrow.

---to be
continued---

·
Registered
23,318 Posts
What for engine Michael?

I always wondered about Bad Boy. I think there are 2 versions - a commercial and consumer.

I remember some time back on the lawnsite forum they seemed to be quite popular. Even had a CAT diesel option in one. But then I see them lined up in front of Tractor Supply with a $xx99 price tag. I never looked that close at any but wasn’t impressed with a couple glances.

Was wondering your overall opinion on the machine since you have one apart in your shop.

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What engine Michael?
This version(23 Pro) has the 23 hp. B&S engine. The engine looks very crude, cheaply made.

I always wondered about Bad Boy. I think there are 2 versions - a commercial and consumer.

I remember some time back on the lawnsite forum they seemed to be quite popular. Even had a CAT diesel option in one. But then I see them lined up in front of Tractor Supply with a $xx99 price tag. I never looked that close at any but wasn’t impressed with a couple glances.

Was wondering your overall opinion on the machine since you have one apart in your shop.
This one must be a Consumer/Residential. :unknown:
I don't know that much about Bad Boy mowers, but I can't see this one being a Professional mower.

Cons:

• Seat is mounted too high.
  • Seat uncomfortable.
  • No armrest.
  • Travel levers have no resistance(floppy).
  • Insufficient leg-room.
  • Narrow stance(width).
  • 48" deck too narrow for my use.
  • Wheel base too short.

Pros:

• I haven't found any features that comes close to my residential JD Z445

The owner's son runs a Commercial Lawn and Landscape company. They use X-mark exclusively. I have no Idea why he bought this Bad Boy. :dunno: He told me he regrets it. He said he'd buy a John Deere, but doesn't like the dealer. He's had problems in the past, but the general manager has long been gone. I do know the attitude and atmosphere of the dealership had changed for the better.

Mrs.FW was a Parts Manager there when we first moved here(1994). That was when the other manager ran it. She didn't stay a year, she had enough of promises gone by the wind. But, that's another story.

I'm trying to get him to buy JD, but he may go X-Mark. If JD would lower the quality of the residential mowers, I'd be looking hard at x-Mark.

·
Registered
10,079 Posts
With that much crud in the fins it may be simply a thermal failure.

I would probably go with a torque, run, cool, retorque method for insurance if everything was flat before and you trust they torqued it the first time.

·
Registered
23,318 Posts
Thanks Michael!

When thinking of possibly getting myself a dedicated mower, I am in such a quandary not having a Deere dealer. I’ve been mowing for 45 some years now - a lot of that commercially - and have had nothing but Deere equipment. It has become partially just creature of habit to buy Deere.

That’s why I asked about the Bad Boy. As time goes on I may need to find a machine - and having a servicing dealer relatively close by is an important factor. But the oniy brands with that criterea are consumer type models like the one you are working on.

OK - enough of that - back to your repair thread!

·
Old Pa-pa
11,985 Posts
Man, air had a fight on it's hands to get to the cooling fins on that one cylinder. :banghead:

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
He may have torqued them properly the first time but failed to follow up on the re-torque them after running it a bit. Or may have had dirt under the gasket when he installed it.

·
Administrator
20,987 Posts
Any updates on this? :unknown:

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With that much crud in the fins it may be simply a thermal failure. I would probably go with a torque, run, cool, retorque method for insurance if everything was flat before and you trust they torqued it the first time.
Done. :thumbup1gif:

Man, air had a fight on it's hands to get to the cooling fins on that one cylinder. :banghead:
Yes, some of the cooling fins were plugged solid. I didn't see any signs of damage to the cylinder walls. In fact, I was surprised to see it in very good condition. Cleaned out the cooling fins as best I could. Wish I had a glass-bead cabinet. I could have done a better job.

He may have torqued them properly the first time but failed to follow up on the re-torque them after running it a bit. Or may have had dirt under the gasket when he installed it.
Anything is Possible.

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any updates on this? :unknown:
Yes.
As for why all the oil had collected over time, I found the tab(see photo) on the exhaust gasket had somehow inadvertently gotten caught between the valve cover gasket and the gasket mating surface. I think this led to a very slow oil leak which had wicked over time to the cooling fins.
3_842658.jpeg
Also, in the photo of the engine below, the two small bolts retaining the crank-case vent(top of valve cover/black hose) were loose, leading to another oil leak.

I retoured the head bolts and installed the engine guard this morning. I called my buddy and told him it was complete; and said I'd be delivering it to him today. He said his trailer was hitched to his truck and was on his way to get it. :good2: That meant I didn't have to unload my trailer to do so.

IMG_0041.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

The work bay in my shop is now empty. :good2:

·
Old Pa-pa
11,985 Posts
Probably the cleanest the machine has been since it left the dealership. :good2:
Amazing how that one cylinder didn't get scarred up.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Yes.
As for why all the oil had collected over time, I found the tab(see photo) on the exhaust gasket had somehow inadvertently gotten caught between the valve cover gasket and the gasket mating surface. I think this led to a very slow oil leak which had wicked over time to the cooling fins.
View attachment 508953
Also, in the photo of the engine below, the two small bolts retaining the crank-case vent(top of valve cover/black hose) were loose, leading to another oil leak.

I retoured the head bolts and installed the engine guard this morning. I called my buddy and told him it was complete; and said I'd be delivering it to him today. He said his trailer was hitched to his truck and was on his way to get it. :good2: That meant I didn't have to unload my trailer to do so.

View attachment 508961

View attachment 508969

View attachment 508985

The work bay in my shop is now empty. :good2:
He might want to tie that down better. Especially if he wants to keep it. From ending up in the bed of the truck anyway.

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He might want to tie that down better. Especially if he wants to keep it. From ending up in the bed of the truck anyway.
I did mention that to him. :dunno: But, what do I know.

Probably the cleanest the machine has been since it left the dealership. :good2:
Amazing how that one cylinder didn't get scarred up.
He told me he washes it at least twice a year. :unknown: :mocking:

·
Old Pa-pa
11,985 Posts
I did mention that to him. :dunno: But, what do I know.

He told me he washes it at least twice a year. :unknown: :mocking:
Probably a Gizmo wash job, leaves it outside in the rain twice a year. :laugh:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts