Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so since my last suggestion, which I thought I had a brainstorm about (but had been done already, yeesh) I have searched high and low and could not see this being offered or made yet.

After watching this video by Tim https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=061lSgyPUaU as I was watching him take the tiller off the trailer, and seeing him using the chains on Ken's hooks, the thing that was glaring out at me was his FEL receiver hitch, which was not being used.

Could someone make a simple attachment that could use the receiver hitch with a top link hook on it, so all he would have had to do was tilt down, drive in and scoop up the tiller, without the need for chains?

Not sure if Im describing it the right way but hopefully someone with better terminology could explain it better if Im doing it wrong. :thumbup1gif:

Also, Im all ready for the 'its been done already" incoming-fire so, lay it on me. :hide:

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
That's a good idea. The only issue I can think of is the weight. When you figure that even a 48" tiller can weigh close to 500 lbs. That is a tremendous amount of weight to apply to the middle of the bucket top edge. The leverage would be even more because the hook would stick out a bit. Also, most implements are designed to be lifted by the bottom pins and not the top link connection. To make matters worse, if lifted by the top link point the unbalanced implement would probably swing inward or even hang off to the side.

Kenny does sell a Ball Dog adapter that allows the receiver to be used for attaching chains, hooks and other useful things. I have one and it often comes in handy. It also fits over a 2" hitch ball and locks in place with a pin allowing you to attach chain hooks and such to a trailer ball.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
That's a good idea. The only issue I can think of is the weight. When you figure that even a 48" tiller can weigh close to 500 lbs. That is a tremendous amount of weight to apply to the middle of the bucket top edge. The leverage would be even more because the hook would stick out a bit. Also, most implements are designed to be lifted by the bottom pins and not the top link connection. To make matters worse, if lifted by the top link point the unbalanced implement would probably swing inward or even hang off to the side.

Kenny does sell a Ball Dog adapter that allows the receiver to be used for attaching chains, hooks and other useful things. I have one and it often comes in handy. It also fits over a 2" hitch ball and locks in place with a pin allowing you to attach chain hooks and such to a trailer ball.
What if the hook was at the same angle as the other hooks on the bucket?
Hard to describe, but basically it would be at such and angle that the bucket would be tilted down almost all the way to even attempt to hook the tiller or other implement.
With the bucket level, the hook would be pointing to the rear of the tractor.
In that orientation, the load would be pulling straight down. That should be ok for the bucket, but any "non-careful" movements could cause some damage with heavier stuff.
Kennys reinforcing plate should help a bit with this too.

I agree too about the lifting, but I believe that the reason for this is that while in use, there are more stresses on the lower portion.
There is also quite a bit of stress on the upper mount too, to keep implements level, like tillers when they are bouncing about.
I dont think lifting the implement itself in that way would hurt much of anything, but that would need to be a piece by piece decision the owner would have to make.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
maybe he could just make a quick hitch top hook thing. You put this hook into the receiver, tip the bucket all the way down, hook the pin and rotate the bucket back.

The advantage is that the lower part of the implement is resting on the bucket edge, so it cant swing. depending on the geometry of the bucket and implement, the lower lift pin frame could even rest on the bucket.

·
Administrator
18,001 Posts
maybe he could just make a quick hitch top hook thing. You put this hook into the receiver, tip the bucket all the way down, hook the pin and rotate the bucket back.

The advantage is that the lower part of the implement is resting on the bucket edge, so it cant swing. depending on the geometry of the bucket and implement, the lower lift pin frame could even rest on the bucket.
That's what I was thinking John as I read the first post.

I know hooks like this are readily available, it might work:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,557 Posts
It’s a good idea but seeing and lining up the hook would be an issue. Then the hazard of having someone in a position to be able to see yet be out of the way. Of course after the fight between operator and watcher/guider there would be the “You tried to kill me on purpose, didn’t you”:hide:

·
Premium Member
13,408 Posts
That's just strange, everyone else is trying to find a better to lift that tiller out of the trailer and what I took away from it was that he picked that 500# without rear ballast. :nunu: :hide:

·
Registered
331 Posts
...what I took away from it was that he picked that 500# without rear ballast. :nunu: :hide:
Definitely not a trick to be performed by amateurs like me!

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,266 Posts
That's just strange, everyone else is trying to find a better to lift that tiller out of the trailer and what I took away from it was that he picked that 500# without rear ballast. :nunu: :hide:
Not entirely without ballast, he's got wheel weights on. :mocking:

·
Premium Member
13,408 Posts
And a (empty) quick hitch. That adds ~ 50 lbs. :good2:
And the operator, I've heard said that he is quite fond of cheeseburgers. :laugh:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts