Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I want as narrow of a tiller as possible. Which would mean the 4ft however I have 2inch wheel spacers. Do you think the 4ft will still work ok or does the 2 inches of width I’ve added to my tractor cause an issue with tire tracks. I know a 54 would be perfect but I can get a 60 for half price and for 6 inches I’d just get the bigger one. We want to be able to till between rows once planted the first couple times and a 60 is almost too wide. Now I don’t know if a 48 is wide enough. For Guys with a 4ft tiller. Do you think it would adequately cover my 52 inch tracks with the skid shoes dragging along. Or should I look at like a 52 inch woods tiller which is way more $$?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,640 Posts
I have the same tractor, 1.5" wheel spacers and my 48" tiller covers the tracks. You have to remember that the actual track of tiller is wider than that which is being tilled. My tiller is tilling 48" but the tiller itself is 52", that and the fact that it is not like cutting a knife's edge in the soil the actual track of the tiller when in operation is probably around 54" with my 48".

Reactions: Ray_PA and Wvdeere

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the same tractor, 1.5" wheel spacers and my 48" tiller covers the tracks. You have to remember that the actual track of tiller is wider than that which is being tilled. My tiller is tilling 48" but the tiller itself is 52", that and the fact that it is not like cutting a knife's edge in the soil the actual track of the tiller when in operation is probably around 54" with my 48".
That’s kind of what I expected/hoped for. Thanks.

·
Registered
749 Posts
It does seem a little silly to spend twice the money to save a foot per row...... if you had ten rows, your garden would be 10 feet wider. From your other post, it wouldn't be worth it to me to spend more money when space isn't an issue, just my .02 cents

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It does seem a little silly to spend twice the money to save a foot per row...... if you had ten rows, your garden would be 10 feet wider. From your other post, it wouldn't be worth it to me to spend more money when space isn't an issue, just my .02 cents
That’s what I think also. But my mom and grandmother have been the gardeners of the family for 50 years. I just try to accommodate them and play with my equipment to make it a little easier on them.

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
560 Posts
My tiller almost covers the tire tracks with the 2" spacers on. I just offset the tiller a bit. Something to consider when you are shopping for a tiller.

Reactions: PJR832 and BigJim55

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
When looking at specs there's working width (tines in the ground) and actual/overall width.

Reactions: PJR832
1 - 7 of 7 Posts