Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Administrator
20,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this happened today two doors up the street from me.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1470515095.797803.jpg

He's very lucky. He didn't have a single scratch on his hide. I chalk that up to the (non-foldable) ROPS and his wearing of his seatbelt.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1470515178.772194.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1470515192.539841.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1470515207.875058.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1470515229.094719.jpg

It's a John Deere 2210 that suffered very few injuries. He was mowing up and down the slope, did something else for a minute and took it out of 4x4. He went back to the slope and headed downhill. The rear wheels started slipping and down he went. He nose-dived right off the 3' cliff, slammed into the ditch and rolled to the left side. His seatbelt kept him from getting pinned or thrown over the tractor before it could have landed on him. It was super humid and the grass was damp at best. He is a lucky man. That much I can tell you.

I came over with the 2720 and used my Artillian fork frame, 2 of Kenny's Oblong Ring Slings, and some chain. We righted the tractor and towed it back up the hill to his home for further inspections and repair.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1470515521.774716.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1470515539.575370.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1470515558.295679.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1470515572.164675.jpg

He needs a new radiator, a hazard light assembly, one of the "P" lifting links for the mower, and a good washing. His hood has a slight dent just above the headlight. Overall he came out of this relatively ok.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1470515680.561079.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1470515692.696219.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1470515723.489759.jpg

A quick order to GFP and a beer or two, and we'll have him back to mowing in no time. I think we're going to install some new front tires too. :good2:

·
Premium Member
7,515 Posts
Glad he's OK, shoes ROPS AND seat belts work.
From picture 2, I thought he was parallel to the ditch/cliff and got too close. Then in picture 4, 5, 6, you can see the tracks where he slid a long way down the hill.

Probably could have pulled it off on dry grass.

Me, I would be too much of chicken to even mow it at all. That looks steep beyond my comfort level.

·
Registered
11,415 Posts
Glad he's OK, shoes ROPS AND seat belts work.
From picture 2, I thought he was parallel to the ditch/cliff and got too close. Then in picture 4, 5, 6, you can see the tracks where he slid a long way down the hill.

Probably could have pulled it off on dry grass.

Me, I would be too much of chicken to even mow it at all. That looks steep beyond my comfort level.
Too steep for me too Z5.

Lucky man. Glad he wasn't hurt.

I noticed the tractor at the top of the hill has the Roll-Gard folded down. :dunno:

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Glad he is OK. One lucky guy.

His tractor came out not too bad, either.

Thanks for sharing. And glad you were there close by to help. I am sure he was, too.

A lesson for all of us.

·
Registered
21,530 Posts
Very lucky indeed!

Good job with the pics - #5 & #9 show how really steep it is.

Glad the operator was OK - and actually surprised at how little damage to the tractor although some bucks are involved. Man, I bet that was a hard hit when he nose-dived into the gully! A sore gut from the seat belt if nothing else.

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
I guess I'm another one that wouldn't mow that with a tractor, but glad to see there were no injuries. :good2:

Are his rear tires filled with anything? Seems like some form of rear or tire ballast (if he doesn't have it) might've helped prevent the slide as well.

·
Administrator
20,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup, didn't have the ROPS up on my tractor yet as I had just gotten on scene to survey it. My tractor was fresh out of the garage sitting on the level road in that pic. When I went to use it, the ROPS went up, you darn tootin'.

He doesn't have any rear ballast on the tractor, I offered to help liquid fill the tires if nothing else. His frame of mind has been "it's worked like this for years" and didn't want any advice. Now I think he's open to some suggestions. :good2:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,203 Posts
I guess I'm another one that wouldn't mow that with a tractor, but glad to see there were no injuries. :good2:

Are his rear tires filled with anything? Seems like some form of rear or tire ballast (if he doesn't have it) might've helped prevent the slide as well.
Nope it wouldn't help. If it's not in 4 wheel drive you just go for the ride. I went for that ride twice because I thought I had it in 4WD and didn't. I didn't have a drop off at the end of the ride though. First time I did a 180° turn and stopped at the level spot facing up hill. Second time I just turned it to do a half moon and made it go back up hill. That was with my 2210 and it had all 4 tires filled. Granted, I also had turf tires on it. Only thing hurt was my pride. Was pretty mad at myself. Took twice to learn my lesson. :dunno:

·
Super Moderator
7,916 Posts
I have a similar hill on my property and it requires 4WD in both directions when mowing. The 2320 has loaded R4 tires and 5 x 42# suitcase weights on the front bracket and I still have to take it easy when descending that hill.

You've got one lucky neighbor and thank God he was wearing his seat belt. Minimal damage. Easy repairs. Good lesson learned!

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
So fortunate he wasn't hurt. I don't imagine you were very relaxed about pulling it back upright sitting on the same hill, or did you do it from the bottom? Hard to tell from the pics, but was the rops bent a little, or should it be replaced after something like this?

·
Premium Member
14,133 Posts
You did a good job of helping him , glad to hear he is OK.

I sloped our banks going toward the creek , there are times I use the 1025 other times I weedeat. Our banks are steep but from your photos, looks a tad steeper . I do know if I start to slide I'm going in the creek and possibly the same results as your neighbor.

I was thinking the same as Zebrafive that he was mowing across and the bank gave way.

·
Administrator
20,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jeff, I had to get into the bottom of the creek where the tractor was. It wasn't feasible to pull him up the slope. His ROPS wasn't damaged in the slightest bit. Other than a few hard parts, his pride was the most damaged, but even that wasn't a big deal. He was pretty good about the whole thing.

I first picked up the front of the tractor and pulled him away from the bank. Then I repositioned myself to the rear and loosely chained up to his ROPS. I then slowly lifted it and guided it back on it wheels. It was pretty uneventful which was what we were aiming for. I certainly didn't want to cause any more damage. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Rops

So fortunate he wasn't hurt. I don't imagine you were very relaxed about pulling it back upright sitting on the same hill, or did you do it from the bottom? Hard to tell from the pics, but was the rops bent a little, or should it be replaced after something like this?
I think the standard is for a ROPS to be replaced after any rollover, at least for larger equipment. I know it's expensive and may not look damaged at all but on the other hand you know it absorbed a heck of a jolt. Reminds me of Jack Benny bit- "Your money or your life". . "I'm thinking. . . "

Treefarmer

·
Registered
8,206 Posts
If the other tracks on the hill are from him mowing up and down the hill where the driveway is at the base, what does he do when he reached the washed out area when mowing, turn sideways on THAT HILL?

I wouldn't mow that hill with a tractor, but that's just me. And yes I am the guy who raced top alcohol dragsters at 270 mph and also raced snowmobiles and motorcycles. But that hill just looks like trouble to me.......I think I would seed it to wildflowers and let mother nature have her way..........:dunno:

Glad the guy is OK and the damage is minimal. Also very nice neighbor he has to help him with the rescue and recovery.......:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Nope it wouldn't help. If it's not in 4 wheel drive you just go for the ride. I went for that ride twice because I thought I had it in 4WD and didn't. I didn't have a drop off at the end of the ride though. First time I did a 180° turn and stopped at the level spot facing up hill. Second time I just turned it to do a half moon and made it go back up hill. That was with my 2210 and it had all 4 tires filled. Granted, I also had turf tires on it. Only thing hurt was my pride. Was pretty mad at myself. Took twice to learn my lesson. :dunno:

I have to disagree with you. Ballast would help the tires bite into the surface better, possibly preventing the slide. If you can keep the rear tires on the ground, two wheel drive will work fine. I had several places our old two wheel drive IH 424 couldn't go before adding fluid and wheel weights to the rear. Afterward, it was fine.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,203 Posts
I'm just saying what happened to me and my 2210 and all 4 tires filled. 2WD I went for a ride, 4WD I went where I wanted.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Just to chime in here regarding filled rears and slopes. I made a terrible oversight one evening when pulling a hay wagon filled with family and friends and forgot to engage MFWD. I no sooner headed down into the pasture, on a hill with just damp grass but heading straight down the slope, and I lost traction. Luckily I got it stopped, but I was sideways. I use MFWD anytime I pull that wagon now. I have filled rears on my 4105 which is a whole lot of ballast (much more than on a SCUT).

This was just my experience. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
No way I'd mow that. I have a portion of the ditch in my front yard I've all but given up mowing with the push mower. No way I'd attempt what he did on a tractor. Like SulleyBear said, seed it with wild flowers and let it go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 80 Posts