Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Yeah, that is a new one. Sounds like it would be a little rough on the equipment. Was it hard packed snow and ice?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that is a new one. Sounds like it would be a little rough on the equipment. Was it hard packed snow and ice?
We've had only one real snowfall up here in Vermont this year and it was a few days after Christmas. So at this point we have mostly icy, crusty stuff on the ground from the snow semi-melting and then re-freezing. I didn't have a camera with me or I would have taken a picture to share. It looked like a farm-all tractor and the tiller was red as well.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,265 Posts
I can see where it would work. As long as you didn't mind tilling the top ½" of the drive too.

·
Registered
740 Posts
With a grade 8 shear pin on the PTO, anything is possible... :lol:

This thread gave me the idea to use my subsoiler to chip away ice. Turns out that it actually works!

The church next door didn't shovel their sidewalks after the ice storm we got a few days ago and everything set up solid the night after the storm. A few days later there were a couple guys over there with ice spuds and shovels, but they weren't making much progress. I swapped my snowplow for my subsoiler and went over figuring that it couldn't hurt to at least try. As long as I didn't catch the expansion cracks in the sidewalk, it worked great. I took a couple of passes down each walkway and all that they had to do was shovel away the chunks with some minor chipping in a few spots.

I don't know how well this would work over dirt, but over asphalt and concrete it wasn't too bad. It worked best with the top link extended as far as it would go to give the ripper as shallow an angle as possible.

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
FEL works great for packed snow or ice on concrete,asphalt. Just angle the bucket a very little like a chisel .

A few winters ago I seen a fellow using his Murray lawn mower to clean a drift out of his driveway. OH not using a front blade, he was using the MMM.

Snow was really flying. :dunno:

·
Corndog Hater
11,688 Posts
Tiller on snow and ice is definitely a new one, I would assume the driveway was dirt or gravel?

·
Premium Member
9,183 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Last winter when we bought our tractor and attachments, I got some very helpful advice from one of the service techs to help me get good use out of all the stuff I was buying: use the tiller to break up the snow, then the snowblower to move the snow to the side, then the loader to stack it all into a big pile, and finally the backhoe to dig a hole to make an igloo. He didn't have any suggestions for the mower deck, unfortunately.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I use my discs

For the last 4 years I have been using a nice set of discs to go up and down our gravel lane (3/4 mile). We have 4" or so of hard pack during the winter. Using our plow trucks doesn't allow us to get right to the gravel so we always have some hard pack. I started using a two bottom breaking plow but it would grab too easily and pop up a lot more than I bargained for. A set of discs run up the road one way and then back will definitely crunch the snow and cut it up like hard clay down south. After a couple passes we follow up with a plow truck with the blade angled and roll the hard pack. I'll have to try and get a couple pics this spring. All the neighbors laugh about our crazy farm plot but they sure love the road clear down to gravel real quick.
The rippers on a bigger/heavier box blade work slick too. Again you have to keep your right hand on the controller and watch your depth. Pop it up with the box blade and remove it with the bucket. I've made a lot of knock around dollars popping up hard pack from folks driveways. $100 for a 30 minute job especially if you line up 7 or 8 in the same area per day. That's how I bought my discs...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts