Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was just informed by family that I need to tell them today what I want for Christmas. I'm not one to really specify what gift I want to receive but I'm going to seize the opportunity now. I'm really torn between a hydraulic top link or a quick hitch. Which of the two makes most sense and will be of most use?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Was just informed by family that I need to tell them today what I want for Christmas. I'm not one to really specify what gift I want to receive but I'm going to seize the opportunity now. I'm really torn between a hydraulic top link or a quick hitch. Which of the two makes most sense and will be of most use?
Quick hitch IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with either, give them the option and see which one shows up under the tree. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just glancing over your signature with your equipment list, I would say -

You can use the quick hitch on just about all (or all) of them.

The hydralic top link would only be useful with 2 of them.
You are spot on, the one implement I use a lot and causes me the most grief in constant adjustment is the box blade. I do a lot of gravel driveways, small parking lots, and dirt work on new constructions for the public and man I would like a hydraulic top link for it. But like you said, the quick hitch has constant uses as evident from the paint being gone on the lift arms from my boot kicking the ever living sh*t out of them every time I unhook or hook to implements.

·
Registered
23,057 Posts
You are spot on, the one implement I use a lot and causes me the most grief in constant adjustment is the box blade. I do a lot of gravel driveways, small parking lots, and dirt work on new constructions for the public and man I would like a hydraulic top link for it. But like you said, the quick hitch has constant uses as evident from the paint being gone on the lift arms from my boot kicking the ever living sh*t out of them every time I unhook or hook to implements.
Since you use your box blade that much, better get both!

As far as a top link for the box blade - I think I would wait to save up enough to do it right and get a top 'n tilt (top link and side link). That would make running a box blade a dream!

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Since you use your box blade that much, better get both!

As far as a top link for the box blade - I think I would wait to save up enough to do it right and get a top 'n tilt (top link and side link). That would make running a box blade a dream!
That would be fantastic but I only have one rear remote. So far (and things can always change) most everything I do with the box blade is done with it being level side to side. I'm constantly changing the pitch of it though hence wanting the top link. I worry though that connecting the hydraulic top link could be a real pain in the a$$ by itself but would be fantastic with use of a quick hitch but I may be very wrong. Have been around equipment my entire life and never once used a quick hitch and never have used a hydraulic top link either. All I know is I'm ready for one of the other and hopefully soon be able to add whichever I don't decide upon this go around. I've been poking around on fit rite hydraulics page and they definitely seem to be able to hook me up at a better price than I first assumed while looking at other sources. I have read a lot of threads on here about quick hitches as well but haven't found a definite answer as to which brand quick hitch would be the one I'd most likely be happy with.

I've also been kicking around the ideal of letting family spend their money on the top link and go cheap out of my own pocket to buy the harbor freight quick hitch, not sure if that's a good path to travel down but it is inticing

Reactions: BigJim55 and Levi

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
That would be fantastic but I only have one rear remote. So far (and things can always change) most everything I do with the box blade is done with it being level side to side. I'm constantly changing the pitch of it though hence wanting the top link. I worry though that connecting the hydraulic top link could be a real pain in the a$$ by itself but would be fantastic with use of a quick hitch but I may be very wrong. Have been around equipment my entire life and never once used a quick hitch and never have used a hydraulic top link either. All I know is I'm ready for one of the other and hopefully soon be able to add whichever I don't decide upon this go around. I've been poking around on fit rite hydraulics page and they definitely seem to be able to hook me up at a better price than I first assumed while looking at other sources. I have read a lot of threads on here about quick hitches as well but haven't found a definite answer as to which brand quick hitch would be the one I'd most likely be happy with.

I've also been kicking around the ideal of letting family spend their money on the top link and go cheap out of my own pocket to buy the harbor freight quick hitch, not sure if that's a good path to travel down but it is inticing
I have the JD iMatch quick hitch with the fixed top hook. I also have the FitRite hyd top link. I would not be without either one. The Imatch makes it so easy to switch implements and I have several that I switch with. The hyd top link allows me to vary the way the implements work. For example, I have wheels on my 8ft rake that I can vary how much the tines dig by instantly changing the hyd top link. I have a 8ft hyd rear blade with runners that I can change instantly how much the blade digs. Really great in the snow. I can instantly change how much the box blade digs. I pretty much use the hyd top link every time I use the 3pt.

Dave

·
Registered
640 Posts
I know that quick hitch would get more use for me. But can't go wrong either way.:gizmo:

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have both, and I find adjusting the top link is much harder than the hooking and unhooking the 3 point. Especially if you trailer your tractor and equipment alot and need to raise the rear of the implement to clear the ground.

My vote is for the top link.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I have both, and I find adjusting the top link is much harder than the hooking and unhooking the 3 point. Especially if you trailer your tractor and equipment alot and need to raise the rear of the implement to clear the ground.

My vote is for the top link.
Man your right about that and I haven't even thought about that being a reason for it. I trailer my equipment more than I use it around my own place but I've gotten so used to just dragging it on and off the trailer and accepting whatever gouges show up in the pavement or whatever paint loss that occurs as part of it. It would be very nice to make a quick adjustment while loading/unloading

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
Have them get the top link for you and like you said earlier, cheap out on the QH. Best of both worlds.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Have them get the top link for you and like you said earlier, cheap out on the QH. Best of both worlds.
Im glad I posted this thread and appreciate the feed back from folks. I have battled these "wants" for awhile now. I have always gotten by without them but having a cab has added some inconveniences that I didn't think about before purchasing. When connecting to equipment I no longer can reach up to adjust the 3 point to make connecting easier. Trying to reach through back glass or walking around to reach through door to raise/lower the three point is often difficult when I'm trying to also brace a piece of equipment from tipping over with my leg for example. On most all open station tractors I've had I was able to lean back in seat to make adjustments to the top link without having to get off tractor. With the cab and even with rear window open I can hardly do this anymore especially if the nut on top link has gotten to tight. I kinda worry that connecting the hydraulic top link without a quick hitch would also be tricky with trying to reach through cab to hit the switch to position ram for a pin to be placed. After reading these comments I've talked myself into believing that both is now a "need" verses just wanting them. A hydraulic top link will be under the tree and I'm looking for a quick hitch to gift myself a present. As of now I have it narrowed down between a Imatch or landpride. Based on the threads I've read on GTT I worry the harbor freight quick hitch will give me issues with the top hook and my implements. Thanks to all for your input, I really do appreciate it.

·
Registered
12,503 Posts
I have the JD iMatch quick hitch with the fixed top hook. I also have the FitRite hyd top link. I would not be without either one. The Imatch makes it so easy to switch implements and I have several that I switch with. The hyd top link allows me to vary the way the implements work. For example, I have wheels on my 8ft rake that I can vary how much the tines dig by instantly changing the hyd top link. I have a 8ft hyd rear blade with runners that I can change instantly how much the blade digs. Really great in the snow. I can instantly change how much the box blade digs. I pretty much use the hyd top link every time I use the 3pt.

Dave
i also would love a hydraulic top link. not so much need for the tilt part. now this fella couldn't of said anymore than if i wrote this myself. all the same reasons i want a top link, instead of having to turn around in the seat, to change mine by hand. maybe this spring i can have one.:dunno:

i see in ur last post u have changed ur mind, and are gonna go with both.:bigthumb: good choice now that u have a cab.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts