Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Often, on GTT, the question will come up which basically is asking;

"I am looking for a trailer to haul my SCUT, CUT or even Garden Tractor and implements. I don't want to spend a lot of money, what should I buy?

Well, keeping in mind the desire is for an occasional use trailer, which can safely and properly haul the equipment and is reasonably priced, here is a great example of a very good trailer deal.

Brand new, 83" wide, 18 foot long equipment trailer for $3,040.

2019 PJ C5 83 7K GVWR Car/Equipment Trailer $3040 | Trailers Midwest in Indiana and Ohio | Flatbed Equipment Trailers and Enclosed Trailers in Elkhart SouthBend IN

Why did I select this trailer? For several reasons which include the following;

1. It's an occasional use trailer and not something the buyer wants to spend a lot of money to buy. At $3,040 for a new trailer with the specs this has, its one of the better deals I have seen in a very long time. Keep in mind that I used to own a trailer dealership so I know these cargo, equipment and utility trailers quite well and this is a great price for the build of the trailer.

2. This isn't a "Close out special" or trailer which is limited in quantity for some reason. This trailer is a normal stock item at or very near this price point. There are similar sizes at similar prices on comparable trailers at this dealership.

3. It has a GVWR of 7,000 pounds and a load capacity of approximately 5,700lbs based upon its size (I didn't see the exact weight of the trailer but being a steel trailer of that size, it likely weighs about 1,200 pounds.)

4. It is a tandem axle trailer, which is a minimum requirement for hauling a tractor in my opinion. Don't think so? Wait until you have a blow out or flat tire on a single axle trailer with a 2,000 to 3,000 pound tractor on it. Also, this trailer uses Dexter Axles which have long been the Gold Standard in trailer axles. It also has new radial tires on 15" wheels. You would be surprised how some low price trailers actually use "take off" tires and wheels or used tires to keep the cost low.

5. It does NOT have a lift gate, but instead, it has ramps which are designed to be flipped up and down easily and slid to match the trailers load. Much nicer than dragging steel ramps around and storing them under the trailer. Also note when the loading ramps are flipped down for use, the base of the ramp sits on the surface of the road or driveway to support the load and also prevent the loading weight from pulling down on the rear of the trailer, stressing the ball mount on the tow vehicle.

6. Lift gates are rarely designed for more than 1,200 to 1,500 pound loads and running a tractor up and down a mesh style lift gate usually breaks the welds, tears up the hinge point, you name it. It often wrecks the trailer. I bet we fixed 100 lift gates on trailers from improper use if we fixed 1.

7. This trailer has stake pockets as load tie down points, plus the front rail, which is strong enough and designed to help secure the load. Many trailers use a light weight frame rail more for aesthetics and its not designed to secure loads, but people do hook to it, which often will fail in the event of a crash or break the welds and steel from continued stress of a load its not designed to handle.

8. Nice spare tire holder right up front and out of the way in the center of tongue so it doesn't increase the width of the trailer. Also, this is not a "Deck over" trailer, which means the tires and wheels would be under the trailer, making the trailer deck higher. Issues with "deck over" trailers can include;

a. - Making the loading angle of the trailer even steeper, which some people don't like.
b. - The height of the trailer loaded would raise its center of gravity if it were a deck over, which makes the load more top heavy.
c. - Requiring long loading ramps, which are heavier and difficult to handle.
d. - It requires the trailer be jacked up higher to change a flat tire. With this style trailer and being tandem axle, you can change flat times very easily without a trailer jack or carrying a floor jack and using one of these Trailer Aid's instead to change the flat tire.
e. - They are higher to climb up and down on the trailer deck, which can be difficult for some people.
f. - Some deck over trailers use smaller diameter tires and wheels to reduce the deck height. Smaller tires and wheels rotate more per mile traveled and can cause increased bearing loads and temps. Typically, when trailers have a wheel bearing failure, its a trailer with smaller diameter tires and wheels.

9. This trailer has a Slight beaver tail to help with the loading angle (16' of trailer deck, 2' of beaver tail), but not so steep that it will hang up the MMM, etc. when loading and unloading.

10. At 83" wide (6' 11"), the trailer will be fully visible in the vast majority of stock pick up truck and even full sized SUV factory mirrors and not require extended mirrors, etc. to properly see the trailer when towing. This is something many people never consider and they should, as its crucial to be able to properly see around the trailer being towed at all times. Being able to use stock tow vehicle mirrors helps avoid having to extend tow vehicle mirrors or add the mirror extensions, etc. which often end up being damaged when the driver forgets to remove the mirror extensions or flip the larger mirrors in when parking in a garage, etc.

These are just some of the reasons why I took the time to post this. Often, the question arises about what they should use to haul their tractor, but they don't want to put a lot of money into the trailer as its not going to be used every day.

This trailer provides a tremendous value for what it is, how it's made and the fact it's a new trailer with a warranty. Often, used trailers will ask more than the cost of this new unit. There are also several other trailers at this same dealer which are very good values as well.

Please note, if money was no object, then I would be suggesting the purchase of the all aluminum, tilt deck trailer with all of the bells and whistles, but that would easily be double or triple the selling price of this trailer.

Keep the 10 plus items and other points I listed in mind when you are seeking a trailer to haul your SCUT or CUT as these are important considerations for anyone looking to buy a trailer to haul a tractor and or implements which weigh 2,000 pounds to 5,000 pounds.

·
Registered
21,495 Posts
An 18' dove tail like this only has 16' of flat deck space. Kind of pusing it especially with a tractor with loader and brush hog.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Coal Train,

You are right, it has only 16 feet of flat deck space which is short for a tractor with a FEL and Brush hog, but it has another 2 feet of angled deck, which helps. But as Sulley Bear pointed out, for the average CUT owner, this unit will work. I upgraded my 14' dovetail to a 14K 22' Tilt Deck, which is way overkill for my 955. I had difficulty balancing the 955 on the short deck. I paid more than the $3K that SB is quoting, but I have a much more rugged trailer to move Oliver and other things. My son used it a few weeks ago to move his FD's 1924 American LaFrance pumper to a restorer in Hope, ME. Moving my 420 on it a couple of weeks ago was almost comical.

I have seen some scary trailer loads over the years. We started out with a 12' deck single axle tilt snowmobile trailer. That one was really touchy to load the 318 with a snow blower. I had it start to wag the truck on one trip. I bought the 14' dovetail tandem axle trailer before I moved the 318 again. It has a flip down ramp, which is more maintenance intensive than the individual ramps.

Dave

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
An 18' dove tail like this only has 16' of flat deck space. Kind of pushing it especially with a tractor with loader and brush hog.
I can fit the 4510, loader and backhoe on a 16' flat deck. Not fun but it works, takes a bit of adjustment to get everything on. An 18' dovetail will probably work with an SCUT because they are much smaller.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can fit the 4510, loader and backhoe on a 16' flat deck. Not fun but it works, takes a bit of adjustment to get everything on. An 18' dovetail will probably work with an SCUT because they are much smaller.
The loading ramps on this trailer, with open space between them, can allow the rear wheel of the brush hog to be positioned between the loading ramps for those times when the rear mower might be attached. After all, most of the rear mowers on the SCUT's are either 4' or 5' in width and that width is at the center of the mower. With their rounded rear design on many of these such as the Frontier RC2048, it provides width to permit the rear mowers be positioned on the trailer.

As long as you properly flag anything which is extending off the rear of the trailer and always follow the rules for maximum overhang, it would be a viable solution. Plus, you also can position the loader bucket up front over the front rail with the bucket rolled forward, over the spare tire location if additional length is needed when hauling some configurations.

Or, you could always just opt for the 20' long model of the same trailer, which was about $300 more in price. Each additional 2 foot of length adds roughly $300 to the trailer price and I believe you can get this particular model up to 24' in total deck length.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Often, on GTT, the question will come up which basically is asking;

"I am looking for a trailer to haul my SCUT, CUT or even Garden Tractor and implements. I don't want to spend a lot of money, what should I buy?

Well, keeping in mind the desire is for an occasional use trailer, which can safely and properly haul the equipment and is reasonably priced, here is a great example of a very good trailer deal.

Brand new, 83" wide, 18 foot long equipment trailer for $3,040.

2019 PJ C5 83 7K GVWR Car/Equipment Trailer $3040 | Trailers Midwest in Indiana and Ohio | Flatbed Equipment Trailers and Enclosed Trailers in Elkhart SouthBend IN

Why did I select this trailer? For several reasons which include the following;

1. It's an occasional use trailer and not something the buyer wants to spend a lot of money to buy. At $3,040 for a new trailer with the specs this has, its one of the better deals I have seen in a very long time. Keep in mind that I used to own a trailer dealership so I know these cargo, equipment and utility trailers quite well and this is a great price for the build of the trailer.

2. This isn't a "Close out special" or trailer which is limited in quantity for some reason. This trailer is a normal stock item at or very near this price point. There are similar sizes at similar prices on comparable trailers at this dealership.

3. It has a GVWR of 7,000 pounds and a load capacity of approximately 5,700lbs based upon its size (I didn't see the exact weight of the trailer but being a steel trailer of that size, it likely weighs about 1,200 pounds.)

4. It is a tandem axle trailer, which is a minimum requirement for hauling a tractor in my opinion. Don't think so? Wait until you have a blow out or flat tire on a single axle trailer with a 2,000 to 3,000 pound tractor on it. Also, this trailer uses Dexter Axles which have long been the Gold Standard in trailer axles. It also has new radial tires on 15" wheels. You would be surprised how some low price trailers actually use "take off" tires and wheels or used tires to keep the cost low.

5. It does NOT have a lift gate, but instead, it has ramps which are designed to be flipped up and down easily and slid to match the trailers load. Much nicer than dragging steel ramps around and storing them under the trailer. Also note when the loading ramps are flipped down for use, the base of the ramp sits on the surface of the road or driveway to support the load and also prevent the loading weight from pulling down on the rear of the trailer, stressing the ball mount on the tow vehicle.

6. Lift gates are rarely designed for more than 1,200 to 1,500 pound loads and running a tractor up and down a mesh style lift gate usually breaks the welds, tears up the hinge point, you name it. It often wrecks the trailer. I bet we fixed 100 lift gates on trailers from improper use if we fixed 1.

7. This trailer has stake pockets as load tie down points, plus the front rail, which is strong enough and designed to help secure the load. Many trailers use a light weight frame rail more for aesthetics and its not designed to secure loads, but people do hook to it, which often will fail in the event of a crash or break the welds and steel from continued stress of a load its not designed to handle.

8. Nice spare tire holder right up front and out of the way in the center of tongue so it doesn't increase the width of the trailer. Also, this is not a "Deck over" trailer, which means the tires and wheels would be under the trailer, making the trailer deck higher. Issues with "deck over" trailers can include;

a. - Making the loading angle of the trailer even steeper, which some people don't like.
b. - The height of the trailer loaded would raise its center of gravity if it were a deck over, which makes the load more top heavy.
c. - Requiring long loading ramps, which are heavier and difficult to handle.
d. - It requires the trailer be jacked up higher to change a flat tire. With this style trailer and being tandem axle, you can change flat times very easily without a trailer jack or carrying a floor jack and using one of these Trailer Aid's instead to change the flat tire.
e. - They are higher to climb up and down on the trailer deck, which can be difficult for some people.
f. - Some deck over trailers use smaller diameter tires and wheels to reduce the deck height. Smaller tires and wheels rotate more per mile traveled and can cause increased bearing loads and temps. Typically, when trailers have a wheel bearing failure, its a trailer with smaller diameter tires and wheels.

9. This trailer has a Slight beaver tail to help with the loading angle (16' of trailer deck, 2' of beaver tail), but not so steep that it will hang up the MMM, etc. when loading and unloading.

10. At 83" wide (6' 11"), the trailer will be fully visible in the vast majority of stock pick up truck and even full sized SUV factory mirrors and not require extended mirrors, etc. to properly see the trailer when towing. This is something many people never consider and they should, as its crucial to be able to properly see around the trailer being towed at all times. Being able to use stock tow vehicle mirrors helps avoid having to extend tow vehicle mirrors or add the mirror extensions, etc. which often end up being damaged when the driver forgets to remove the mirror extensions or flip the larger mirrors in when parking in a garage, etc.

These are just some of the reasons why I took the time to post this. Often, the question arises about what they should use to haul their tractor, but they don't want to put a lot of money into the trailer as its not going to be used every day.

This trailer provides a tremendous value for what it is, how it's made and the fact it's a new trailer with a warranty. Often, used trailers will ask more than the cost of this new unit. There are also several other trailers at this same dealer which are very good values as well.

Please note, if money was no object, then I would be suggesting the purchase of the all aluminum, tilt deck trailer with all of the bells and whistles, but that would easily be double or triple the selling price of this trailer.

Keep the 10 plus items and other points I listed in mind when you are seeking a trailer to haul your SCUT or CUT as these are important considerations for anyone looking to buy a trailer to haul a tractor and or implements which weigh 2,000 pounds to 5,000 pounds.
PJ makes a great trailer with good resale
same site....while it cost significantly more this is the exact trailer i use just 9 years older for everything up to 10k # ....its the best trailer i have ever owned....pulls great....litterally loading is fast and safe.....dragging chains out takes longer than loading.....highly recommned if you use a trailer a lot

2020 PJ T6 83 14K GVWR Tilt Trailer $6540 | Trailers Midwest in Indiana and Ohio | Flatbed Equipment Trailers and Enclosed Trailers in Elkhart SouthBend IN

·
Registered
21,495 Posts
Coal Train,

You are right, it has only 16 feet of flat deck space which is short for a tractor with a FEL and Brush hog, but it has another 2 feet of angled deck, which helps. But as Sulley Bear pointed out, for the average CUT owner, this unit will work. I upgraded my 14' dovetail to a 14K 22' Tilt Deck, which is way overkill for my 955. I had difficulty balancing the 955 on the short deck. I paid more than the $3K that SB is quoting, but I have a much more rugged trailer to move Oliver and other things. My son used it a few weeks ago to move his FD's 1924 American LaFrance pumper to a restorer in Hope, ME. Moving my 420 on it a couple of weeks ago was almost comical.

I have seen some scary trailer loads over the years. We started out with a 12' deck single axle tilt snowmobile trailer. That one was really touchy to load the 318 with a snow blower. I had it start to wag the truck on one trip. I bought the 14' dovetail tandem axle trailer before I moved the 318 again. It has a flip down ramp, which is more maintenance intensive than the individual ramps.

Dave
What I look at is the ability to adjust the tractor fore and aft to get the proper tongue weight.

Even with a little 1 series with loader and brush hog you may fit it on this trailer but will not be able to make that adjustment which will make for a dangerous vehicle on the road.

People will take the measurement of their rig - let’s say 18’ with loader and brush hog - and figure that an 18’ trailer is enough. That is not the case.

·
Registered
841 Posts
What I look at is the ability to adjust the tractor fore and aft to get the proper tongue weight.

Even with a little 1 series with loader and brush hog you may fit it on this trailer but will not be able to make that adjustment which will make for a dangerous vehicle on the road.

People will take the measurement of their rig - let’s say 18’ with loader and brush hog - and figure that an 18’ trailer is enough. That is not the case.
that issue is one of the reasons a tilt trailer like i mention above work so well.....doesnt matter what i am loading i just pull up till the bed tilts back flat and then pull a litte further forward to put some load on the tounge ......no quesswork....right on every time...even with different equipment......

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I own a 14' Sure-Trac tandem trailer. Sure-Trac is a also a very rugged trailer. This is a 7000 lb. capacity trailer with a spring assisted lift gate that easily handles the weight of my rig without any flexing. Specs have it weighing in at approximately 1700 lbs. That's a lot of steel in a 14' trailer. I can load my 1025R/with bucket attached and box blade attached to the 3 pt. hitch, with about one inch to spare. It will handle my son's 1025R/TBL with bucket attached. We do however, need to swing the back hoe to one side. I could go one and on about the quality of this trailer, but that's not really the point of my post. I just wanted to illistrate to some degree what a 14'er will haul and handle. I agree with Sully and coaltrain in that if you haul with your bush hog attached, you should be looking at an 18' to 20' trailer. Both PJ and Sure-Trac are very good choices.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
122 Posts

I bought a 20’ PJ to replace my aged 16’ Carry On for exactly this reason - that, and there is always something extra I need to stick on. It fits my 2038R with the FEL and backhoe, and still allows for the grapple and the bucket to both be loaded on.

F1D89FC6-28D2-4230-9A4F-23A9FE124D0F.jpeg

·
Registered
356 Posts
Alumna

Personally, I quit buying steel trailers many years ago. If you live in snow and ice country and they salt the roads keeping the trailers from rusting is very hard to do. If you have heated storage and washing it frequently is possible you have an advantage most people don’t have.

I bought an Aluma 8214 (82” wide by 14’ long). It has loading ramps that slide under the trailer. This model is a 5200 # single axel with stake pockets, 6000# D rings and an aluminum front stop bar. I bought it on closeout for $3600. Seems some dealers have been having trouble moving trailers with removal ramps, most new buyers want the trailer with no ramps or gates but where the whole deck tilts to allow for loading. A good used aluminum trailer frequently can be found on Craigslist for the price of a new steel trailer.

Something to consider if you are not proficient backing a trailer is that a single axel trailer reacts much quicker and you may find it harder to control. Tandems are easy to back up but they require more room to store. If you have a backhoe or want to haul the occasional car a tandem is a must.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Personally, I quit buying steel trailers many years ago. If you live in snow and ice country and they salt the roads keeping the trailers from rusting is very hard to do. If you have heated storage and washing it frequently is possible you have an advantage most people don’t have.

I bought an Aluma 8214 (82” wide by 14’ long). It has loading ramps that slide under the trailer. This model is a 5200 # single axel with stake pockets, 6000# D rings and an aluminum front stop bar. I bought it on closeout for $3600. Seems some dealers have been having trouble moving trailers with removal ramps, most new buyers want the trailer with no ramps or gates but where the whole deck tilts to allow for loading. A good used aluminum trailer frequently can be found on Craigslist for the price of a new steel trailer.
Decades ago, I had a couple of steel snowmobile trailers, a steel 80 foot dock, and a steel Shore Station boat lift. I will never own a steel trailer, or any steel equipment in and/or salty environment again. We're all-aluminum here these days. If I ever decide to buy a trailer for my tractor, it absolutely is not going to be made of steel. I was reminded of this as I borrowed my JD dealers 20 foot trailer to haul my tractor home when I bought it. That rusty old rattletrap was only 6-8 years old.

I've been resistant to buying a trailer for my tractor, mostly because I already own so many trailers, but also because A) I don't ever have the need to take my tractor anyplace except the dealer, and he'll come get it if I ask, or at least loan me a trailer for the 10 mile round trip....and B) If I have a trailer, I would therefore have the ability to haul the thing to friends/neighbors' places

Local trailer store has this for $4500 currently. It's a really nice trailer. Not too much different than the price of getting a backhoe installed. I don't really need a backhoe, but I'd probably use it more than I'd use a 16' trailer.

·
Registered
484 Posts
An 18' dove tail like this only has 16' of flat deck space. Kind of pusing it especially with a tractor with loader and brush hog.
I think 18 feet works fine for a midsize compact, and depending on axle capacity can work for a full-size. What you're pulling it with would be a separate issue, though. I have a 18 foot dovetail, mine is 14+4, so the tail isn't as angled as a 16+2. It's called a "car hauler" mainly because it has no side rails and has a full 7' 4" wide wood deck. Two 3500# axles, brakes on the front axle, and was only $2200, locally (to me) made. Trailer empty weight is 1850 lb. I can haul my 2520 with loader and whatever rear implement (my heaviest is my rototiller, at 350 pounds) with a midsize pickup (my Tacoma has a 6500 Lb. tow capacity) and not be close to capacity.

Anybody interested in a good trailer for a reasonable price, I can give you the guy's name (PM me). They are in the Granite Falls/Hickory NC area and build single and double axle landscape, equipment and car haulers, from 12-20 feet.
DSC00882 (2).JPG

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
I think 18 feet works fine for a midsize compact, and depending on axle capacity can work for a full-size. What you're pulling it with would be a separate issue, though. I have a 18 foot dovetail, mine is 14+4, so the tail isn't as angled as a 16+2. It's called a "car hauler" mainly because it has no side rails and has a full 7' 4" wide wood deck. Two 3500# axles, brakes on the front axle, and was only $2200, locally (to me) made. Trailer empty weight is 1850 lb. I can haul my 2520 with loader and whatever rear implement (my heaviest is my rototiller, at 350 pounds) with a midsize pickup (my Tacoma has a 6500 Lb. tow capacity) and not be close to capacity.

Anybody interested in a good trailer for a reasonable price, I can give you the guy's name (PM me). They are in the Granite Falls/Hickory NC area and build single and double axle landscape, equipment and car haulers, from 12-20 feet.
View attachment 708766
Boy I Like the sound of the empty weight only about 350Lbs more that the trailer I am considering Because I need a Trailer that is Light enough I Can maneuver By Hand or By Garden tractor Into a 9X37 storage area as I don't Have the room to Maneuver it with it attached to the truck Look at getting one of these 8200 Tilt Tandem Utility Trailers | Tandem Axle Utility Trailers But with a 5200Lb axle Upgrade & Factory installed power up/down with remote. Had a tilt trailer In the Past But a friend Took it to Wyoming and Hasn't returned it Yet In the Last 5 years. We Both always forget about it :laugh::bigthumb:

·
Registered
21,495 Posts
Boy I Like the sound of the empty weight only about 350Lbs more that the trailer I am considering Because I need a Trailer that is Light enough I Can maneuver By Hand or By Garden tractor Into a 9X37 storage area as I don't Have the room to Maneuver it with it attached to the truck Look at getting one of these 8200 Tilt Tandem Utility Trailers | Tandem Axle Utility Trailers But with a 5200Lb axle Upgrade & Factory installed power up/down with remote. Had a tilt trailer In the Past But a friend Took it to Wyoming and Hasn't returned it Yet In the Last 5 years. We Both always forget about it :laugh::bigthumb:

There are lots of configurations where you can move your trailer around with your tractor - both front and back. Move your trailer with the bucket or 3 point hitch.

One reason KHoges trailer is light is because of only one axle with brakes. I would never own a trailer without brakes on both axles - besides which it is illegal here in Pa without.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
The loading ramps on this trailer, with open space between them, can allow the rear wheel of the brush hog to be positioned between the loading ramps for those times when the rear mower might be attached. After all, most of the rear mowers on the SCUT's are either 4' or 5' in width and that width is at the center of the mower. With their rounded rear design on many of these such as the Frontier RC2048, it provides width to permit the rear mowers be positioned on the trailer.

As long as you properly flag anything which is extending off the rear of the trailer and always follow the rules for maximum overhang, it would be a viable solution. Plus, you also can position the loader bucket up front over the front rail with the bucket rolled forward, over the spare tire location if additional length is needed when hauling some configurations.

Or, you could always just opt for the 20' long model of the same trailer, which was about $300 more in price. Each additional 2 foot of length adds roughly $300 to the trailer price and I believe you can get this particular model up to 24' in total deck length.
The bush hog on the 4510 is a different story. You can't have the loader on the tractor, and it must be backed on in order to be balanced right. The tail wheel sits up on the end on the tongue.

But like I said, an MCUT or an SCUT is a very different story. They are quite a bit smaller than my 4 series.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Observe for reference....

This is a 16' trailer, loaded with a 4 series TLB. No dovetail.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts