Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an X570 that I use to cut my lawn. The lawn is tiered with slopes up to the flat tiers. The deck is level side to side and front to back (although I cannot get it high enough at the 2.5 deck leveling setting - a whole other story) and the anti-scalp wheels are adjusted as per the manual. I do not scalp the lawn which is great even when cresting hills. My issue is when I turn on the tiered part of the grass, the mower is often not on a level surface and the anti-scalp wheels sometimes cut into the turf. I was wondering if anyone has adopted casters of some sort as anti-scalp wheels as that would definitely eliminate my issue. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
10,940 Posts
I have not modified my X500 deck anti-scalp wheels but I have experienced a similar issue to what you describe. Have you tried raising your anti-scalp wheels up one more hole? That may minimize the issue and still provide sufficient anti-scalp protection.

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
I'm just asking, but could it be a trait of the deck in combination with the terrain being mowed?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Cutting at 2.5" is mighty short. Why not raise it to at least 3.5". Your grass will thank you and it won't burn up in the Summer.:thumbup1gif:

Don't believe me, take a look at the rough on a golf course and generally that is not irrigated or fertilized near as much as fairways which are short.

BTW, what do you mean the anti scalp wheels are "adjusted per the manual?" I set them so my little finger will slide under them when the deck is down on pavement. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
10,940 Posts
Cutting at 2.5" is mighty short. Why not raise it to at least 3.5". Your grass will thank you and it won't burn up in the Summer.:thumbup1gif:

Don't believe me, take a look at the rough on a golf course and generally that is not irrigated or fertilized near as much as fairways which are short.

BTW, what do you mean the anti scalp wheels are "adjusted per the manual?" I set them so my little finger will slide under them when the deck is down on pavement. :bigthumb:
This is what the X570 operator's manual says:

Measure distance between mower wheels and ground surface. All wheels should be within a specific distance from the ground.
Wheels-to-GroundDistance6—13 mm (1/4—1/2 in.)

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have also experienced this when turning but for me it's because of a change in height of the terrain. For instance I'm mowing around a large tree trunk and as you get closer to the trunk the ground slopes upward to the tree. Usually if I am mowing the closest circle to the tree trunk I experience the anti-scalp wheel hit the ground and because I am moving in a more lateral direction with the turn the anti-scalp wheels dig in. If these wheels were designed to rotate in any direction this would probably not be an issue. Are there any casters which can swivel in any direction (like the wheels you see on the front of many zero turn mowers) but are built for our decks? Seems like a no brainer to me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry guys, I should have been more clear. I am cutting at 3.75 inches. Due to the terrain, if I lift the wheels up one more hole over the clearance that they should be, I scalp my lawn in places. I level the deck at the 2.5 inch setting and then set the wheels when I am at cutting height (3.75).

Glad that I am not the only one having an issue, it seems to be when turning on a surface that is not completely flat.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm subscribing to this post. I have a 2018 x739 w/ 54HC deck. I have this problem on several areas of my lawn. Its annoying and I am shocked that the front anti scalp wheels are not casters. I have a pain in the ass yard with all sorts of fancy beds and boulders and trees to work around. The issue only presents itself on tight turns on a decent slope.

I mow my lawn at 2.5". I enjoy having a well defined diamond pattern in my lawn, so I have the issue in several repeatable spots. I have tried adjusting my cross angles and the same issue happens in other areas. I set my antiscalp wheels with an 1/8" piece of melamine for clearance. It works amazing for everything else.

·
Premium Member
10,940 Posts
I mow my lawn at 2.5". I enjoy having a well defined diamond pattern in my lawn, so I have the issue in several repeatable spots. I have tried adjusting my cross angles and the same issue happens in other areas. I set my antiscalp wheels with an 1/8" piece of melamine for clearance. It works amazing for everything else.
What height does the manual recommend setting the anti-scalp wheels?

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
X739 manual specs anti scalp wheels to be 1/4" to 1/2" off ground.

Seems those numbers are for most lawn tractors. My X390 with the 48" ACCEL deck is the same distance.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Easiest thing to do is when you know this is going to happen just raise the deck a bit with the foot pedal until the turn is made.

John Deere 1025r FEL
(2) 80 carts
15 cart
Frontier ss1023b
Frontier af10f
Land Pride FDR1660 mower
Land Pride GS0548 plane
Land Pride RTR 1258 tiller
Land Pride QH05 quick hitch
EF 155 flail mower
48” sand filled lawn roller

·
Premium Member
10,940 Posts
Easiest thing to do is when you know this is going to happen just raise the deck a bit with the foot pedal until the turn is made.
That's exactly what I do each fall when I mow ultra short to facilitate chestnut gathering. I lower the deck right down on the anti-scalp wheels and make a few passes under the tree. To make the turns without gouging the lawn I just push the lift pedal while turning.

The manual lift was one reason I bought the X500 over the X530 at the time. I have a lot of exposed roots in various places in the yard and with the manual lift pedal I can just apply a bit of pedal here and there and glide the deck over the roots without slowing down.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts