Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a burm in my front yard that always gets scalped when I mow it. I don't want to cut it higher, so I made an anti scalp roller for the mower deck. I was lucky to find a 3"x 6" roller at my local Farm & Home store for $4.25, plus bolts and hardware, I got around $10 in it.
I used 1/4"x 1-1/2" stock metal brackets and used the existing holes in the mower deck. It hangs down about 1/2" below the skid plate, (see straight edge photo).I also used a 5/8"x9" bolt for the axle. I will paint it after I test it on the next mow. The yard is too soggy for any test right now.(see soggy tracks pic,)
I think John Deere didn't include one because it would normally let the deck roll when driving the tractor over it. I always attach and remove the deck in the grass, instead of on hard surfaces. (I had a bad experience once on the asphalt drive) I don't have a problem as long as I use low range and 4wd.
Once things dry out, I'll run it through it's paces and let you know how it does.
Thanks for lookin,
KHOP

Attachments

·
Administrator
21,502 Posts
As always, looks great! :drinks:

Does the roller move up out of the way to allow the deck to rest flat on the ground for attaching/reattaching?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Adjustment

Deisel, The roller is fixed at 1/2" below the deck. I don't see it will make a diff. Thanks
KHOP

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Nicely done! And I also had an "episode" unattaching my 54D on blacktop! I'm goin' on grass too the next time!:laugh:

Reactions: Herminator

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anti Scald Roller

I reattached the mower deck on my 1026R today with no problems with the front mower deck roller. I set my cutting height to my standard and did some test runs over the area I have problems with. The deck rode nicely without gouging into the turf as usual. The new roller doesn't impede with any other component, and the deck stays put when auto connecting. I think I'm gonna like this thing, and will leave it on perminently.
Thanks
KHOP anti scald.JPG

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,984 Posts
I reattached the mower deck on my 1026R today with no problems with the front mower deck roller. I set my cutting height to my standard and did some test runs over the area I have problems with. The deck rode nicely without gouging into the turf as usual. The new roller doesn't impede with any other component, and the deck stays put when auto connecting. I think I'm gonna like this thing, and will leave it on perminently.
Thanks
KHOP View attachment 18171
This is exactly what I've been wanting for my 60D mower. I have the same problem that you had. Is it still working out for you?

·
Registered
775 Posts
Thanks
KHOP View attachment 18171
How has the roller been working out so far? Curious as I'm really close to ordering a 60D and I know I will run into this issue if I don't do a front roller setup.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Front Roller

Sorry about the late post. I have been using this roller for two full mowing seasons. Now I don't even think about it doing it's job. It still works great and I encourage anyone who has a scalping problem should do this too. Simple and effective, low cost, and a great project for those needing something else to do during the cold months. Enjoy, KHOP

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks for pics. have same problem going to try in next couple of months

Thanks for ideal
Sorry about the late post. I have been using this roller for two full mowing seasons. Now I don't even think about it doing it's job. It still works great and I encourage anyone who has a scalping problem should do this too. Simple and effective, low cost, and a great project for those needing something else to do during the cold months. Enjoy, KHOP

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,984 Posts
Well I finally got around to doing this mod. I found out that it's not the same on a 60D deck. It's made all different in the front and has less room to mount anything to it. I'm thinking it can be done but the fab won't be as simple as on the 54. Both sides of the skid plate is made different and the bar stop for the bolt did a disappearing act on the 60. So now it's back to the drawing board. 4½" grinder with a cutting wheel and a drill, this is going to be a job. Anybody else tried this on a 60" deck?

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,984 Posts
Made the parts I needed for the mod. Made out of ¼" steel, 1½" wide. Don't have a camera so no pics available. Each side is way different so I made patterns out of cardboard first. Everything made with hand tools except for the drill press. Cutting wheel, grinder and hand files. Still have to paint the parts but that's for tomorrow. Anybody doing this for a 60D deck, it's a job. I hope this works and a welder would have been nice. I test fitted it and it seems to be right. Good luck. If I can be of help to anyone PM me as I could send you the pattern in cardboard. It would be a start and you can modify if needed.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hey Levi
What did you use for the roller?
Did it pretty well come out like the one For the 54"?

Also.... How in the heck do you not have a camera? I guess I don't have one either.. But I have one on the phone that I M currently typing on to reply to this thread

Thanks

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,984 Posts
Hey Levi
What did you use for the roller?
Did it pretty well come out like the one For the 54"?

Also.... How in the heck do you not have a camera? I guess I don't have one either.. But I have one on the phone that I M currently typing on to reply to this thread

Thanks
It's the same 6" roller which I wish was just a bit longer. But I'll use washers to take up the difference. The brackets have to be made different for each side as the 60 is different then the 54 up front, at least mine is. I did make the brackets come out and down, just can't make them as easy as the 54 with a flat piece and a notch. Not as much room on either side and neither side are the same. As for a camera, I have one, it just quit working. Think someone got a magnet to close to it. We don't have cell phones other then a trak phone we use when we go on a trip or something. No camera on it and 20 dollars every 3 months. I'm trying to figure out a justifiable cause to buy a new one but the cost is the hard part. Being retired has it's limitations and a camera is way down on the priority list. I want forks more then a camera. :laugh:

Reactions: Jep and Herminator

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,984 Posts
OK, here is my mod in picture. Color too. I took them with my Great-granddaughter's game on my memory card. Hope this works. HNI_0001.JPG HNI_0002.JPG HNI_0004.JPG HNI_0005.JPG HNI_0006.JPG I Hope you can see how I did this. I made a pattern directly off the yellow pieces. It's about ½" off the ground resting on the roller. Need more info let me know. Tired of scalping my yard/field.

Attachments

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,984 Posts
Hooked the deck up yesterday, no problem. Went out where I've been scalping and tried it, no scalping. Mission accomplished. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Looks great Levi, you did an excellent job
Thanks for the pictures
This is definatly getting added to my long fabbing list

Reactions: Herminator and Levi

·
Registered
36 Posts
Anti Scalp

I for the life of me don,t understand why John Deere don't take the responsibility and provide free off charge the mods needed to address the the anti scalp issue. This has been an issue for a number of years. Also I wish they had a step kit so when I have my mower deck off I don.t need to step up 20" to get on the tractor. It is especially tough when you have any knee problems or any mobility issues. I myself am an amputee and am convinced if corporations pay more attention to people with disabilities everyone would benefit.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Levi two questions

What did you do with the cross brace that goes across the two mounting deck mounting hanger hooks?? Just cut it out ?

Also do those metal pieces you fabricated pivot on that bolt? Are they backing up against the deck behind them? What keeps them secure?

Lastly what supports the weight of the tractor as it is driving over the deck? Premodification that hanger used to do it.

Is that roller and mounting hardware
Beefy enough for that ??

1 - 20 of 27 Posts