Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum so please excuse my ignorance to forum rules as I am still reading and learning.
I have a 46 or 47 long hood/slant dash all fuel A. I enjoy local county fair tractor pulling even though I regularly take dead last. I have tried pulling on both gas and diesel fuel thanks to having a working set of shutters to help maintain engine temp. That being said I do better burning gas. My question is on magneto timing. I have a 25 degree drive cup and have the starting/impulse timing set to fire when the Mark's on the flywheel and cause cover line up. I had the running timing set at roughly 25 degrees. I have a theory that today's fuels burn faster and ignite easier so I have set my run timing currently set at 15 degrees advance to see how it pulls in the upcoming contest. I am however curious on everyone's opinion or past experiences with what I am planning on trying. I am not trying to place first in every poll I go to but middle of the feild would be nice.
Thanks in advance for the replies.

·
Administrator
20,366 Posts
I would think that a day of pulling with multiple variables like timing being kept accounted for in a logbook. You should record everything you can think of to track performance if you are shooting for every lb in pulling force. 10* is HUGE. I would go 2* and try. Then try another 2*. Keep a log and keep going. You will find what works and what doesn't.

·
Registered
11,760 Posts
welcome from south central western Pa.:wgtt:

show us a pic of ur A-ok we love pics here:bigthumb:

i should of looked at ur join date before i welcomed u-sorry about:unknown::flag_of_truce:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
welcome from south central western Pa.:wgtt:

show us a pic of ur A-ok we love pics here:bigthumb:

i should of looked at ur join date before i welcomed u-sorry about:unknown::flag_of_truce:
I may have resisted in 2014, but I am new here so thanks for the warm welcome. I have moved a few time and now bought a house so I have dug out all my old registrations and password. I would love to post a pic of my A even though it's not much to look at but I haven't figured out how yet.

·
Registered
11,760 Posts
I may have resisted in 2014, but I am new here so thanks for the warm welcome. I have moved a few time and now bought a house so I have dug out all my old registrations and password. I would love to post a pic of my A even though it's not much to look at but I haven't figured out how yet.
i am not much help in telling or showing u how to post a pic here. i am sorry about that-but it took these fellas probably 2 yrs to help me understand certain ways to post or do things on here:banghead:

for my laptop-i know how to download the pics off my phone to my puter(a laptop)
then upload them to whatever post u want to show them.

in the help section is diagramed posts of how to do it-very well done-line by line.

otherwise ask Diesel shadow man as he knows this place inside and out--that's why he carries the big-big hammer to make sure we stay in line on here. he is very helpful--as is others too. very helpful-oh did i already say that:mocking:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This tractor started out as a me and grandpa thing, but pancreatic cancer got grandpa. I just kept plugging away at it over the last 12 years. The 1950 model A in my signature I am the second owner of. I bought it from an older gentalman on the Indian reservation. I was come alonging the tractor onto the trailer when the old man disappeared, I started looking for him thinking, I hope he didn't fall down and die when he came out of the house with original owners manual and all the original sale paper work.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
:wgtt:

We have 2 As. My experience with tractor pulling is...they are all cheating. If you ain't cheatin', ya ain't tryin'.:laugh:

·
Registered
1,007 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
I am new to the forum so please excuse my ignorance to forum rules as I am still reading and learning.
I have a 46 or 47 long hood/slant dash all fuel A. I enjoy local county fair tractor pulling even though I regularly take dead last. I have tried pulling on both gas and diesel fuel thanks to having a working set of shutters to help maintain engine temp. That being said I do better burning gas. My question is on magneto timing. I have a 25 degree drive cup and have the starting/impulse timing set to fire when the Mark's on the flywheel and cause cover line up. I had the running timing set at roughly 25 degrees. I have a theory that today's fuels burn faster and ignite easier so I have set my run timing currently set at 15 degrees advance to see how it pulls in the upcoming contest. I am however curious on everyone's opinion or past experiences with what I am planning on trying. I am not trying to place first in every poll I go to but middle of the feild would be nice.
Thanks in advance for the replies.
Since you stated that it started life as an all fuel tractor, do you know if it is still all original? Pistons, head, and carb? all of those will have an impact since, and i assume here, that you are running normal pump gas? 15 degrees may not be a bad place to start, but since you showed the lister, why not use that as a test instead of 5 bucks a hook at a pull? tract conditions will change, but with antique pulling, changing timing wont have enough of an impact, tire pressure, weights, and hook point will impact more since its still an all fuel stock tractor running pump gas. If you dial in your carb, timing, and tire psi to get max pulling on that lister i bet thats about as good as its ever gonna get in its original form. Unless you start regapping plugs, dry filter, stuff like that.

let us know where you end up with it.

·
Registered
11,760 Posts

Hope this works. I traded a case of beer for the lister, which I used to break sod for the garden we planted when we lived at this place.
ahh-ur picture posting worked--:bigthumb:my one pap had a ole A too. don't know if it was all fuel or not-was a long time ago now.

but one thing i do remember really good was.........it steered hard, i mean hard,:laugh: compared to our 38 B my dad had at the time.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Guess I never thought about using lister to put a load on it, thanks for the idea. The tractor now has m&w style aluminum pistons though I dont remember what the over bore was. The carb is what the tractor calls for according to the serial number list on Robert's carb repair sight. I think I'll no my biggest trouble is the tires are a bit to big, but they are what I had on another tractor that was stuck when I bought it. I have been thinking about the timing too. On the model 60 they only advanced it by 5*, from 25 to 20 BTDC. So maybe I am a little to far, but I haven't tested yet since the tractor pull was canceled due to the knee deep mud conditions.

·
Registered
222 Posts
HA! those pistons are quite an upgrade, you should have lead with that.

all of my initial thoughts are pretty much out the window now. to many unknowns, so hook it up to the lister and let it work to see what works best.

Side note, has the head been redone? cause at this point, i would pull it, have it worked over, unless you can do it yourself, and get a carb upgrade, should make a very noticeable difference.

let us know how you make out on it, and where was your pull canceled?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Dknt remember having anything done to the head but a valve job. Do you have any suggestions. Been thinking about tearing down this winter for some leaky gaskets and to prep for paint.

The pull was the first one in my life time to be held in Nickerson Ne. The ones holding the pull were the town bar and (not sure if I am considered associated or not but I have a shirt that I wear when we go pulling) The Sons of Agriculture pulling team.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I would pull the head and give it a 3 angle valve job and clean up the seats and see if you have any noticeable play in the guides, if so, replace them as well. I dont know if you have a valve grinder or not, but i wouldnt think a machine shop would charge much more than 2 to 3 hundred bucks. from there you can see about taking any material off to better match the piston profile.

I would get rid of the all-fuel carb or at least change it up to the gas specs or see if you get any significant bumps from jets changes etc. maybe change over to a gas intake manifold as well.

Be interesting to see where you end up with it, please let us know what all you do and the gains you get.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts