Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 Silverado 2500HD DuraMax LBZ crew cab, 2021 MB - S class 580 and a 1971 Corvette 4 spd.
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A small fortune was spent on planting trees around the property a few years ago. Forty, 16 foot Autumn Fire Maples trees, 10 beach and another 8 ornamental Cherry trees were planted and I was unaware until last year the deer had scratched the heck out of these small caliper trees (I wanted to cry it wasn’t easy nor cheap to get and plant them and to see this now . . .).
Every tree trunk was then wrapped with 4X4 fence wire to deter the deer, so I was told. It looks like it worked but every tree is badly scarred, many have a wound that short of healed but you can see into the inside of the trees and there is a core showing now.
The deer couldn’t scratch the crap trees in the woods, they had to go after the landscaped rows that line the driveway and some planted randomly around the property.
My question is - will these tree die? Is there anything I can do for themthis late?
All but 3 Maples are growing and look ok. The 3 trees that are not on par with the others, their leaves look a little wilted, they are smaller trees and have a fair amount of dead branches without any buds at this point.

There’s also what I believe is algae all over every tree, the composite decking materials and railings - everywhere! perhaps you can see some in the picture if you look close.

Not a geat photo. This one doesn’t have the fence around it, but it shows that flat greenish blue algae. It looks like the 70’s hippy flowers

Attachments

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
Depending on how much it bothers you, I'd cut dead branches out and let the trees grow for at least a year, maybe two to see how they do. You've stopped the damage, see if the trees can recover on their own. You could try some slow release tree fertilizer to give the damaged ones a boost but don't overdo it. They've had one shock and you don't want to change too many things at once for them.

As far as the algae, you can clean your deck with some of the commercial cleaners or a bleach solution. However, someone on this site suggested using Wet N Forget and that stuff is very good. Spray it on and leave it. Rain and moisture let it work over time and it just works. It's not as fast as the manual clean up but much, much easier and seems to deter reoccurrence for a while. I don't remember which member suggested it, but they were right on target.

Reactions: driveshaft

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
45,385 Posts
We had the same issue here a couple of years ago with an $80 red maple we planted, we have thousands of trees around and the deer pick the one we just planted. :mad:

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
4,003 Posts
We had the same issue here a couple of years ago with an $80 red maple we planted, we have thousands of trees around and the deer pick the one we just panted. :mad:
Because it was fresh! :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
27,528 Posts
I live in a forest and algae is always present. It’s on every tree on its north side, big or small. Also on the deck on the north side which gets pressure washed every year - sometimes twice.

Unless you can somehow figure out to get sunlight on every square inch of tree and wooden structures you just live with it around here.

Of course our high humidity living along a river helps exemplify this issue.

·
Premium Member
2006 Silverado 2500HD DuraMax LBZ crew cab, 2021 MB - S class 580 and a 1971 Corvette 4 spd.
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I live in a forest and algae is always present. It’s on every tree on its north side, big or small. Also on the deck on the north side which gets pressure washed every year - sometimes twice.

Unless you can somehow figure out to get sunlight on every square inch of tree and wooden structures you just live with it around here.

Of course our high humidity living along a river helps exemplify this issue.
This algae is all over every non evergreen tree, hundreds of trees now, full sun and all over - not just the shady side or the north side. This has got to be algae and not the typical moss that grows on the north sides.

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought there may be some sort of sealer to paste into the wide open tree wound and perhaps that could help.
Is there a cut off time not to fertilize? Like when it gets too hot out?

·
Registered
2022 Ram 3500 CTD
412 Posts
We planted approx 30 Norway spruce a couple years ago. We intentionally picked them because they were not supposed to attract rutting bucks. The first year they left them alone but by last fall they had already destroyed four or five. This has been an ongoing problem with small trees around here. So I purchased these nighttime only motion detectors because it always happened overnight. They have worked and we didn’t have any additional damage. They have been outside since October of last year and they still work the way they’re supposed to. I moved them over to our garden this spring and they appear to be working there too. I don’t live very close to anybody so I was not concerned about them being activated at night. They have a light and siren…. The siren activates for 60 seconds or so… not terribly loud but it’s loud enough to keep bucks moving. And the are inexpensive ( and on sale… of course they are… I just ordered two more last week at regular price).

Attachments

Reactions: Devils10acres

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I also just discovered in my receipts from the plant nursery, written in light gray print on the back. A notation that says after the wire baile and balled trees stablize, normally in 12 months, remove by cutting the wire that is attached at the base of the tree trunk known as the root flare. The crew that planted these trees left all the wire around the root ball stating that it was protecting the trees from storms that could blow the trees over.
Now that’s a nice thing to find out now. And if that wasn’t enough today the landscapers were here with a bedtrencher. I told them they had to go out from the trunk far enough to reach the drip line of the branches.
After they left I noticed each tree had at least 2 or 3 roots severed when they trenched out the circles. The roots were about 1.5” to no more than 2” in diameter.
Is it fare to say these trees are doomed now?

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
I also just discovered in my receipts from the plant nursery, written in light gray print on the back. A notation that says after the wire baile and balled trees stablize, normally in 12 months, remove by cutting the wire that is attached at the base of the tree trunk known as the root flare. The crew that planted these trees left all the wire around the root ball stating that it was protecting the trees from storms that could blow the trees over.
Now that’s a nice thing to find out now. And if that wasn’t enough today the landscapers were here with a bedtrencher. I told them they had to go out from the trunk far enough to reach the drip line of the branches.
After they left I noticed each tree had at least 2 or 3 roots severed when they trenched out the circles. The roots were about 1.5” to no more than 2” in diameter.
Is it fare to say these trees are doomed now?
I wouldn't say they are doomed but you need a new landscape company.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I feel your pain. My deer have destroyed half my planted pines. I just planted 5 single trunk Crepe Myrtle trees that I fear they will mar all up come time to rub their antlers. They came to me pretty good size and already tractor scarred but I got a deal on them.

·
Premium Member
13,891 Posts
I'm not a venison fan so I can't help though.
I can, when season opens.

Would planting a tree in my hunting area be considered baiting? Asking for a friend.

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can, when season opens.

Would planting a tree in my hunting area be considered baiting? Asking for a friend.
I have to laugh on this post! A neighbor around the next lane asked me if he could hunt along the rear of my land, along with several other neighbors up and down the lane. He likes my open meadow so he prepares the trails leading to it in several ways. He wants all the deer to come out to this 4 acre meadow that he plants sunflower, soy, alfalfa and whatever else. He takes his families old Christmas trees and blocks off most of the deer trails. He hangs Xmas trees upside down 7-8’ off the ground making the deer walk his desired path to the meadow. He’s got tree stands and zip lines allowing him to move around to other for other vantage points. I’m not a hunter, don’t care for venison, but somehow it doesn’t seem very ethical. He’s not going to like it when I get my tractor because I have plans for that land.

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Deer are nice to watch but they're growing exponentially and in most parts suffer from a lack of lead in their diets.

I'm not a venison fan so I can't help though.
Exactly! Our last home grounds was like a deer habitat. At no time, day or night could you walk around the house and look out any window and not see close to a half dozen dear In the yard. In the winter if I came home after sundown the deer would mingle along the lane and my driveway, they made me stop many times and I had to lean on my horn and even get really close to them so they would move! A bad winter and they ate my bushes along the foundation. It was kind of spooky to look out an upstairs window on a moon lit night and see a dozen or more dear lying in the grass around the yard.

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don’t know if I should keep asking tree health related questions or start a new thread.

Another question deals with treating the weeds that grow incredibly fast around the base of the trees. I really don’t want to use a string line weed-wacker and keep breaking off trimmer line on those tough weeds like the wild sticker bush that start up so easily and fast everywhere around the landscape. Using some kind of weed killer like “Weed-be-gone” in a sprayer, will it hurt the tree?

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
May I be so bold to suggest doing what the Wisconsin DNR did to control the deer population. Just bring in a few wolves. And the hand out thousands of doe tags.Deer will disappear over night.

Reactions: Rule292

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
May I be so bold to suggest doing what the Wisconsin DNR did to control the deer population. Just bring in a few wolves. And the hand out thousands of doe tags.Deer will disappear over night.
As much as I love wolves...

I am sure that most environmentalists would love to reintroduce wolves since they live in cities, ru-burbs or on 10 plus acre protected "wildlife refuges". Not on farms.

Wolves are nature's best predator and do well at killing... including farm animals.

I'd have no problem with dispatching deer, around here the hawks and turkey vultures would love a feast every now and again.

Anyway, the big problem with deer is that they have lots of folks who love them but never give much though about the destructiveness or the danger of overpopulation. And since they're so damn cute nobody wants to be "inhumane" in how they kill them.

There we probably need to take a backwards step and not care, given the danger to human life that deer present.

Dunno why, but I automatically want to spell deer as deere... no idea why. :D

Reactions: Treefarmer
1 - 20 of 24 Posts