Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys... anybody running this oil in your rigs? If so, can you take a peak at the back of the bottle and see if is "API" certified. Not that it's real important. I'm just curious. I'd like to try it out on my new machine when it's time for the switch to synthetic, but I'm not too keen on running an oil that's not certified while it's under warranty... just in case.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Amsoil user

I use Amsoil Small engine oil in all my toys with an engine, including my cars since they were new. The best oil money can buy IMHO.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use Amsoil Small engine oil in all my toys with an engine, including my cars since they were new. The best oil money can buy IMHO.
I hear ya... just wondering if it's API certified?

·
Registered
771 Posts
Hey... pretty cool. :thumbup1gif:
I think the test gives a reference point atleast.... Some have a problem with tests but I don't know of any other tests out there run by a certified testing firm and well know bearing company.. If so I sure would like to see it. :D

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I run John Deere Oil and filters along with Motorkote in my tractor.
What percentage of Motorkote do you run in your tractor, or how many ounces per quart of oil?

·
Registered
771 Posts
Dave I run two ounces per quart of oil. Motorkote only needs to be added the third oil change. I think on the Motorkote website you can get answers to allot of your questions. https://www.motorkote.com/HowUsed.html I order when they have their Trucker call in radio show advertized specials on there website. You get free shipping and better pricing.

I have been using it for around two years now. I learned about Motorkote listening to a call in trucker show I have been listening to since the middle 90's.

I only can give an opinion based on mine and others experiences, nothing scientific.... I say it helps, whether it does or not is purely speculation on my part.

I'm not in anyway affiliated with Motorkote, I just use it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks tackit. I'll have a look at their website.

LOL... I still don't know if that specific AMSOIL oil is API certified. Not that it matters. I've had good luck with several of their other products... I'll probably use this stuff too.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Riding motorcycles/dirtbikes for years,visiting different forums,etc...I've seen alot of people go on and on about amsoil. I have to ask....What does amsoil have that other synthetics dont? Or..why is it so popular? I guess when I see the name "amsoil", it reminds me of "amway",which is a pyramid marketing company. Is amsoil affiliated with amway? Is this why people go on about it...trying to get others underneath them in sales? Just curious...

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
You are welcome Dave. I did a search for Amsoil API certification and found this, pretty interesting. http://www.syntheticwarehouse.com/api_licensing.htm
Yep, I've read that before tackit... interesting stuff. It'a also "AMSOIL's" side of the story. However, some of it makes sense. There are ingredients in AMSOIL that the API may not approve... who knows if these ingredients are good or bad? It's also VERY expensive to have one weight of oil certified.

Is AMSOIL better than brand "X"? Who knows. A number of UOA's on their products indicate they are. Other UOA's seem to indicate they are no better.

The bottom line is this... While I doubt that I would ever have an oil related engine failure, if by chance I did have an engine related issue (oil related or not) under warranty what would the manufacturer say... Where you using an API certified oil in the correct weight? Manufacturers can simply deny a warranty when they like, and use anything they can to do so.

With all that said... I'll probably still use the oil anyway. :laugh: I went through this same dilemma with one of my ATV's. I decide to use the AMSOIL 0W-40 Powersports oil in it, and I like how it performed. I've used several of their other products with great sucess... but those products don't need to be certified.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I got my answer today. Ran into my AMSOIL dealer at the coffee shop. The 10W-30/30 Small Engine oil is NOT API certified, but said the oil is probably better than similar oils that are. He said if I'm not comfortable running it, I could use their OE or XL line of automotive oils that are certified.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I wonder if you could get your car makers district rep to advise you by email or fax how Amsoil products effect your vehicle's warranty?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
tackit,

Actually, I kind of went through that a number of years back before any of the AMSOIL products were certified. I emailed the automotive company directly. The answer was short and lacked any substance or explanation. They said "the oil must meet the API specs in your manual". I suspect a "machine" actually sent the reply. :lol:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts