Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the midsts of trading my 825i with the deluxe cab for the 835r. I am picking out the options I want in it and the radios that they have to offer seem a little high in price for what they are. Has anyone put something other than what John Deere has to offer in their 835r or 835m. If so what did you install?

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
While Im not familiar with putting radios in Gators, I looked at the JD website and they are just using aftermarket JENSEN single din radios.
But Ive installed raidos in anything with wheels and, they are all basically the same.
The radios they list are plain jane-nothing special radios.
Non-JD prices are as follows:
The SWJHD1130 is $159
The SWJHD1635BT is $259
SWJHD36AMIC is 249
Im not saying they are crap but if you are looking for better features,Im sure you could do better with pricing.

Also, all radios of that nature wire in exactly the same. 8 speaker wires, red (switched power), yellow (memory retention), black(ground), blue/purple for antennas. Its not hard to install the stereo of your choice.

Hope this info helps.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
While Im not familiar with putting radios in Gators, I looked at the JD website and they are just using aftermarket JENSEN single din radios.
But Ive installed raidos in anything with wheels and, they are all basically the same.
The radios they list are plain jane-nothing special radios.
Non-JD prices are as follows:
The SWJHD1130 is $159
The SWJHD1635BT is $259
SWJHD36AMIC is 249
Im not saying they are crap but if you are looking for better features,Im sure you could do better with pricing.

Also, all radios of that nature wire in exactly the same. 8 speaker wires, red (switched power), yellow (memory retention), black(ground), blue/purple for antennas. Its not hard to install the stereo of your choice.

Hope this info helps.
Thanks for the information, any idea where the antenna would go on this particular model?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Alternatives

Have you considered a Sirius radio? I know there is a subscription cost, but I enjoy the variety of channels. I also pay for it on an annual basis. When it's time to renew, I shut it down for a few weeks and they will call with offers of a lower yearly/monthly rate.

The other option that I use is a Altec Lansing Life Jacket blue tooth speaker connected to my phone. I have a couple of music apps that are subscription free, not to mention loading music into the phone to play. I also have a set of blue tooth noise suppression headphones.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Thanks for the information, any idea where the antenna would go on this particular model?
Again, while totally unfamiliar with Gators other than the plain-Jane ones we have at work which dont have radios nor a place to put one, I'm totally unsure. But at the same time, all vehicle radios have the old style jacks in the backs of them, so plugging in a standard antenna wouldn't be a problem. You could either drill a hole to fit it where you wanted or, while your at the JD dealership, see where they are mounting it. Its quite possible they already have the hole there with a plastic plug covering the hole.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Scosche-RMA900-Replacement-Car-Antenna/16652627?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&wl13=2825&adid=22222222227009894792&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40839528392&wl4=pla-78653071232&wl5=9003551&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=local&wl12=16652627&wl13=2825&veh=sem&gclid=Cj0KCQiAk-7jBRD9ARIsAEy8mh4fQ40ZoVQVS13KsU4LtEf-nMDqHn9Er6XASuNwJB-vpDfhLUbdoIYaAq2tEALw_wcB Im sure they make a ton of other choices that would fit your choosing, as they dont have to be 3 feet long like that one.

At worse, you could just get yourself a 2 inch wide piece of bendable metal or thin angle iron / aluminum like this crappy drawing I just did, and secure it to your location of choice. zX422VN.png Don't judge my Microsoft Paint skills.... I'm still waiting for my morning coffee to finish brewing. :laugh:

PS, they also make antenna wire extensions so you could easily mount an antenna as far back as you wanted to.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,699 Posts
I am in the midsts of trading my 825i with the deluxe cab for the 835r. I am picking out the options I want in it and the radios that they have to offer seem a little high in price for what they are. Has anyone put something other than what John Deere has to offer in their 835r or 835m. If so what did you install?
Not a radio but we use a wireless bluetooth speaker with our smart phones.
The speaker is sitting in the cup holders on/in the dash...

·
Registered
246 Posts
Sorry to post another non gator specific answer but I suggest any generic mechless radio with bluetooth. I have gone mechless in everything. I prefer the ones with an SD or Micro SD slot. You can put gobs of music on a SD card or small form thumb drive. Bluetooth will alert you of phone calls and some folks use that function for music also.

For the antenna in my backhoe I bored the hole in one of the side pods. I installed one of those old fashioned rubber antennas and used a zip tie to secure the tip to one of the window brackets. Works fine and keeps it out of my way. I didn't really need an antenna because all my tunes are on the SD card that stays in the unit.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you considered a Sirius radio? I know there is a subscription cost, but I enjoy the variety of channels. I also pay for it on an annual basis. When it's time to renew, I shut it down for a few weeks and they will call with offers of a lower yearly/monthly rate.

The other option that I use is a Altec Lansing Life Jacket blue tooth speaker connected to my phone. I have a couple of music apps that are subscription free, not to mention loading music into the phone to play. I also have a set of blue tooth noise suppression headphones.
That’s a good alternative...Thanks!

·
Registered
361 Posts
If I were to put a stereo in my 825i with a deluxe cab, I would definitely want a stereo with Bluetooth and the capability to add a microphone.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Again, while totally unfamiliar with Gators other than the plain-Jane ones we have at work which dont have radios nor a place to put one, I'm totally unsure. But at the same time, all vehicle radios have the old style jacks in the backs of them, so plugging in a standard antenna wouldn't be a problem. You could either drill a hole to fit it where you wanted or, while your at the JD dealership, see where they are mounting it. Its quite possible they already have the hole there with a plastic plug covering the hole.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Scosche-RMA900-Replacement-Car-Antenna/16652627?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&wl13=2825&adid=22222222227009894792&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40839528392&wl4=pla-78653071232&wl5=9003551&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=local&wl12=16652627&wl13=2825&veh=sem&gclid=Cj0KCQiAk-7jBRD9ARIsAEy8mh4fQ40ZoVQVS13KsU4LtEf-nMDqHn9Er6XASuNwJB-vpDfhLUbdoIYaAq2tEALw_wcB Im sure they make a ton of other choices that would fit your choosing, as they dont have to be 3 feet long like that one.

At worse, you could just get yourself a 2 inch wide piece of bendable metal or thin angle iron / aluminum like this crappy drawing I just did, and secure it to your location of choice. View attachment 674672 Don't judge my Microsoft Paint skills.... I'm still waiting for my morning coffee to finish brewing. :laugh:

PS, they also make antenna wire extensions so you could easily mount an antenna as far back as you wanted to.
On my Gator I’m trading in I did make a bracket on the back of the roof where a LED light could be mounted and I hid the cable under the liner inside ( I’ll show a couple of pictures). When I was looking at the Radios reccomended for the newer 835r it’s almost looks like they were using a hidden power antenna that they left behind the dash. I’m not sure how good that setup works but I’m thinking of just going the traditional route, that way I know I won’t have reception issues. Thanks for your ideas!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,931 Posts
When I was negotiating to buy my cab for my tractor, the dealer threw in the radio installed in the deal. I use the Bluetooth headset 100% of the time to listen to the music as I don't care for the "resonating noise" inside the cab. Medications have changed my hearing and I am much more sensitive to certain sounds and have more trouble hearing other sounds. In fact, I wear the noise canceling headset whenever I am in the cab.

I test drove a new diesel version of the new Gator and noticed the same thing with the cab noise for me. I think I might order a new gator diesel once my new building is done. I would listen to the music the same way in the gator just because the sound quality is so much better. I am using the Bose Bluetooth earbuds and wearing a noise canceling headset over them to block the outside noise.

I even downloaded a sound measuring app on my phone and measured the noise volume inside the cab, outside the cab, at different RPMS, etc. I was very surprised the actual measured noise volume is the same as it sounds "different" to me because of the tones.

If you purchase good noise cancelling Bluetooth headsets, it really becomes something I forget I am wearing, other than having to remove one side to speak to someone else. I bet I haven't listened to 5 minutes in total over a year on the actual speakers inside the cab.

I use the satellite portion of the radio and I also have about 600 songs on my IPod Classic which is hooked into the system. My phone is also hooked into the system and there is a microphone mounted in front of me on the roof of the cab so I can answer my phone and use it through the system if desired. I usually ignore my phone when I am on my tractor..............

I also like being able to get out of the cab while plowing snow and having the music continue on the headsets. I get out to shovel a step or clear a corner of the garage door and the music never stops.........

Technology sure has changed since the days of mounting radios in the dashes of cars and Jeeps in my younger days.........

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I test drove a new diesel version of the new Gator and noticed the same thing with the cab noise for me. I think I might order a new gator diesel once my new building is done. I would listen to the music the same way in the gator just because the sound quality is so much better. I am using the Bose Bluetooth earbuds and wearing a noise canceling headset over them to block the outside noise.

The new gas 835r is much quieter than my 825i. I think that was one of the hits they took when competitors spoke about their machines. The engine alone is much quieter and if you get the R series the cloth interior and headliner along with the airtight cab makes it very quiet inside. I’m not much into wearing earbuds or headphones as I have the Bose Quietcomfort headphones. They are exceptional quality but I just don’t enjoy wearing them, a personal perference.

·
Registered
21,175 Posts
Not a radio but we use a wireless bluetooth speaker with our smart phones.
The speaker is sitting in the cup holders on/in the dash...
Your Bluetooth setup was the first thing that came to mind.

It seems just about everyone always has a cell phone in their pocket and unlimited service. Why not use that with a Bluetooth speaker? A Pandora subscription and you would be good to go. One could easily come up with a really nice permanent mounting solution in a cab that would look great.

I don’t know why anyone would install a regular radio anymore - just to listen to commercials? No thanks.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,699 Posts
Your Bluetooth setup was the first thing that came to mind.

It seems just about everyone always has a cell phone in their pocket and unlimited service. Why not use that with a Bluetooth speaker? A Pandora subscription and you would be good to go. One could easily come up with a really nice permanent mounting solution in a cab that would look great.

I don’t know why anyone would install a regular radio anymore - just to listen to commercials? No thanks.
I use the speaker in the garage and in the house also. I've got 100's of songs on my phone which I can bluetooth to the truck also.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Another question I was wondering is besides what comes with the R series I have added the:

1. Rear bumper
2. Cargo box fender guard
3. Front fender guard
4. Front turn signal light kit
5. Mirror kit
6. Horn kit
7. Front attachment harness
8. Harness for hyd. Blade

Anything else anyone might put on it right away while it is getting these accessories put on? The accessories that I listed, they agreed to install without any labor cost so anything additional would add labor cost. I do plan on doing all the installation of the LED work lights myself along with the radio.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts