Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I love to camp. We probably spend 3 out of 4 weekends a month during the late spring, summer, and early fall camping. Some of our friends say we "glamp" and not camp, but hey...that's the way we roll. :laugh:

Our favorite Memorial Weekend campground is Alcona County Park up in Glennie Mi. Very nice place. It's about a 2 hour drive for us to get there. Only problem is that they do not take reservations before April 1st and they don't have an online reservation system. Phone calls only. :banghead: Still trying to get our reservations in for Memorial Weekend. It has never been this hard in previous years. Starting to get worried that we may not get in. Here a picture of our new rig we picked up last year. It's on a site at Alcona Park.

New Rig.jpg

Oh yeah...the truck is Big Red. She's my baby!

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
We bought a new Jayco Jayfeather 25BH last Feb. We had an older Dutchmen before that. We didn't use the Dutchmen that much but we fit in this one a lot better as a family. We also love the outdoor kitchen and having a bedroom up front for us. The kids love the bunks in the back. It is so much nicer not having to convert dining or sofa spaces into sleeping spaces anymore. Everyone has a bed and that is all it is.

For us we mainly hit local county or state parks. A few times a year we would do dry camping at a place about 40 miles from the house along a small river. It is just some land along a the small river that can't be farmed because it floods with every big rain. The farmer is related through marriages to my wife's side of the family. There are no hookups at all so we run generators and have about a 10 mile drive to town where they have a place at the county park to dump the black and grey tanks. The way the lot worked before, we could only go there when the people on the lease were there and they only went on the 3 big summer weekends. We were trying to get a spot but there is a waiting list. We just found out last weekend that the owner will let us use the lot whenever we want if we pay for part of the seasonal rent. Our cut... $50 for the summer. DEAL!!! A weekend at a county or state site was running us $150 for a weekend. Pull in Friday through Sunday. Granted this was with full hookups but still. I can deal with the generator and dumping tanks. On those big weekends we have had up to 14 campers packed on to the lot. They are pretty big sites. Some of the "campers" are 40'+ 5th wheels and Class A and C motor homes.

I don't have many photos on my phone but here are a few. Oh and based on the 10" of snow that we got yesterday, we won't be out camping for a while yet. In that last shot the main camper visible is a friend's camper. He stores at our place since he lives in town and the neighbors complain. Ours is right next to it but pretty much blocked by the tree. Then you can see the front of my In-law's Heartland 5th Wheel.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We bought a new Jayco Jayfeather 25BH last Feb. We had an older Dutchmen before that. We didn't use the Dutchmen that much but we fit in this one a lot better as a family. We also love the outdoor kitchen and having a bedroom up front for us. The kids love the bunks in the back. It is so much nicer not having to convert dining or sofa spaces into sleeping spaces anymore. Everyone has a bed and that is all it is.

For us we mainly hit local county or state parks. A few times a year we would do dry camping at a place about 40 miles from the house along a small river. It is just some land along a the small river that can't be farmed because it floods with every big rain. The farmer is related through marriages to my wife's side of the family. There are no hookups at all so we run generators and have about a 10 mile drive to town where they have a place at the county park to dump the black and grey tanks. The way the lot worked before, we could only go there when the people on the lease were there and they only went on the 3 big summer weekends. We were trying to get a spot but there is a waiting list. We just found out last weekend that the owner will let us use the lot whenever we want if we pay for part of the seasonal rent. Our cut... $50 for the summer. DEAL!!! A weekend at a county or state site was running us $150 for a weekend. Pull in Friday through Sunday. Granted this was with full hookups but still. I can deal with the generator and dumping tanks. On those big weekends we have had up to 14 campers packed on to the lot. They are pretty big sites. Some of the "campers" are 40'+ 5th wheels and Class A and C motor homes.

I don't have many photos on my phone but here are a few. Oh and based on the 10" of snow that we got yesterday, we won't be out camping for a while yet. In that last shot the main camper visible is a friend's camper. He stores at our place since he lives in town and the neighbors complain. Ours is right next to it but pretty much blocked by the tree. Then you can see the front of my In-law's Heartland 5th Wheel.
Nice! We changed over from the bunkhouse to more of a retirement style. Our boys are now 17 & 20 and don't go camping with us more than a couple times a year now. Not all bad. We enjoy our time away for sure.

BigK

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Nice! We changed over from the bunkhouse to more of a retirement style. Our boys are now 17 & 20 and don't go camping with us more than a couple times a year now. Not all bad. We enjoy our time away for sure.

BigK
Yeah our kids are 9 & 12 so we have a few more years then will look at something different. I wouldn't mind one of those HT 5th wheels. Going with a big one like what my in-laws have is nice but a lot harder to find a spot for a 40+' rig. I have driven it a few times and prefer that to what we have on the interstates. The trade off is in parking lots and tight camp sites.

They live in FL for the winter and in the 5th wheel in the summer using our backyard as a base and head out for a few days/weeks at a time all summer. Since they live in it 5 months a year, I get why the size is appealing to them. We have full hook ups including internet for them down there so it works well. Oh and he cuts my grass while I am at work. One less thing to squeeze in before going camping.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Corndog Hater
11,688 Posts
We love camping, but I'd say we glamp. We have a Rockwood with bunks for our kids, ages 15 and 13 (almost). They love to camp too, as "they never have to do anything" when they're camping, and neither do I! No lawn to mow, projects to complete, etc. We like our state parks, they are quiet and cheap and the sites seem to be more private/wooded. We have used our camper between 10-14 times per year. This season, we are booking the weekends up quickly!:good2:

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
For a change I am on the other side. My parents camped every weekend. Started out in a tent and we pulled supplies in a old ford pickup box behind the 61 plymouth wagon. Started out when I was 8 and I finaly got out of it when I was 16 and had a job. I couldn't play and sports in high school because we were camping. Had the tent at Lake Tahoe and out water bucket froze over night. then a small Shasta trailer, then a little bigger trailer. after I quit they came up with a 35ft Avon and it was a nice trailer. When I met my wife I made her a promise if we traveled we would stay in motels. This is the one thing I kept my word on.

·
Premium Member
4,881 Posts
When our kids were young, we used to camp a lot. We had a tent, a Coleman stove and lantern. We packed everything we needed into our old '60 4dr Impala. We usually went somewhere the girls could swim and fish, and they really enjoyed it...and it was a great relief at a stressful time in my life...living in town was NOT my idea of fun. Once we moved to the acreage, I don't recall us camping ever again.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
We're a bit different. :laugh:

I grew up tent camping, both parents and 5 kids in one big tent. We had a lot of great vacations that way, saw a lot of America and Canada. When my wife and I got married, we used to go backpacking a lot. We even went for a weekend backpacking trip when she was 6 months pregnant with our second child and with our 2 year old daughter. We did a lot of camping when the kids were young and they always had a blast. They still love it to this day.

We have always loved primitive camping - no toilets, no running water, having to dig a hole in the woods, having to filter and carry your drinking water from streams, springs, mud puddles, whatever you can find. Walking in a few miles, with no one around. Now that we're getting older, we have slowly drifted away from camping, staying in hotels and using airbnb. But a few years ago we did take a 3 day trip on the Appalachian Trail around Damascus, Virginia.

We did end up buying a 26 ft travel trailer for our land in the mountains. We tried tent camping there, and it was fine for vacationing, but it's difficult to get things accomplished when you don't have the comforts of home like a kitchen, a bed, and water, and can't clean up after a long day of working outside. It makes a great temporary home until we can get something built.

I still dream of hiking the entire Appalachian Trail someday.

·
Registered
155 Posts
My son and I still camp during hunting season, hopefully we will continue to do that for many more years.

The days of the family going to a campground are all but over. My wife really likes motels now!

We have been very fortunate and now have property for family and friends to use/relax on. I am currently in the process of making a nice little area for camping.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I have been camping a lot with my son the last 5 or 6 years. Along with the rest of his pack and troop and some dads.
He is now a Boy Scout and working toward his Eagle badge so sadly those campouts will come to an end.
I've also been busy at work the last couple years and that seriously hampered my camping days. We have one scheduled the end of this month at an archery club which is always a good time.

·
Corndog Hater
11,688 Posts
For a change I am on the other side. My parents camped every weekend. Started out in a tent and we pulled supplies in a old ford pickup box behind the 61 plymouth wagon. Started out when I was 8 and I finaly got out of it when I was 16 and had a job. I couldn't play and sports in high school because we were camping. Had the tent at Lake Tahoe and out water bucket froze over night. then a small Shasta trailer, then a little bigger trailer. after I quit they came up with a 35ft Avon and it was a nice trailer. When I met my wife I made her a promise if we traveled we would stay in motels. This is the one thing I kept my word on.

I remember tent camping a couple times as a kid, and hated it. Then my parents bought a pop up, and I hated it slightly less. Then they bought a travel trailer, and I don't think I ever stayed in it. I was 16 and working by then. My younger siblings used that one, although my parents didn't keep it long as they bought the beach house shortly thereafter.

When my wife and I married, we both didn't want to camp, especially tent camping. We need/want a regular bed and roof over our heads at night. We bought our camper more as a guest house on wheels. My wife's family's accommodations left a little to be desired, for a variety of reasons. Then we tried a campground, and then a another, and so on, having a lot of fun every time. Now, the camper has become our escape from noisy, disrespectful neighbors.

I think the main reason I disliked camping as a child was that my parents (who I love dearly, and are great parents) were always trying to get us to "go play", and make new friends, which wasn't my cup of tea. I always reasoned that I was most likely never going to see these kids again, so why be friends with them. Today with my kids, we do stuff together. We hike, fish, go sight seeing, or just sit and play cards or board games. We all have a blast!

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
Oh yes, love to camp. We use a 1959 Lil Loafer trailer that we rebuilt back in 2011. We are just itching to get out again this year.

P-1.jpg

·
Registered
363 Posts
Our favorite Memorial Weekend campground is Alcona County Park up in Glennie Mi.
We really enjoy the Hoist Lake trails in Glennie. Here's an early morning on Byron Lake in November.
IMG_0540.jpg

We like to Jeep, hike or paddle to our camping destinations.

October on the Manistee River.
IMG_0408.jpg

Grayling State Forest area. September
IMG_1801.jpg

....and if I have to go to a campground. Lake Michigan Recreation Area in August
IMG_2757.jpg

·
Registered
309 Posts
My wife and kid like to "Glamp" at state parks. I tolerate glamping and I go hiking and primitive camping with other folks or by myself. Camping is no fun solo for me, so mostly I just hike on my own. Not many of my friends enjoy trying to push themselves on trails in the woods, so I usually go it alone. Lately I've been going to motorcycle rallies and motorcycle camping. It's pretty entertaining and uncomfortable. :laugh:

Camper camping:

Hammock and tent camping:

Motorcycle camping:

Hiking:

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
I have vague memories of tent camping as a very young kid in Texas. My dad (USAF) got transferred to Germany right before I turned 6 and my folks bought a brand new 1970 VW Camper van (non-popup top) while we were over there. Our family of 6 went all over Europe in that thing. That van was on ferries in the Mediterranean and also in Scandinavia. It also traveled on a hovercraft between Calais, France and Dover, England. And then was shipped from Germany back to the states in August of '72 when we moved back. Great memories of that van!! It had a hammock that was suspended over the front seats. I was the youngest and was the only one that fit in the hammock, so that was "my place" to sleep.

Once back in the states my folks went from the VW to a cabover camper to a fifth wheel to a Class-C to a 1998 Airstream Class-A. It was 34' long and was pretty well appointed. They also towed their '95 Subaru Outback wagon behind it. They took the grandkids (including my girls who are now 25 and 27) with them all the time. After they retired they started working for a company as "transient book sellers" at various military bases so they basically lived in the camper for about 3 years.

The camper's last big trip was in November of 2010. My niece was getting married in the Bay Area and, of course, her grandparents wanted to be there. They were in their mid-70's at that point so I volunteered to make the trip with them and then was going to fly back after the wedding. They were going to stay for the winter. The details of that trip would make it's own book! But the highlights included an unplanned 4 day stay in Ft. Worth, TX to get a fuel pump replaced (pump went out on Saturday evening, so no shops able to order the parts until Monday morning), other minor mechanical problems along the way and a somewhat "not so minor problem" heading up I-5 out of LA towards SF. I was literally under the RV at the top of The Grapevine trying to diagnose loose wires, etc. Cold wind, trucks zooming by, - oh my!! When we finally rolled up to my sister's place that evening the rehearsal dinner was already going on. My niece (the bride to be) met me in the driveway with a margarita in a 64 oz glass saying "here Uncle Mark - I think you need this!" :laugh:

Sweetie is more of a hotel person but I'm working on her to at least look at some nice trailers. Might look into renting one and taking a trip just to see how she likes it. I wouldn't mind selling everything and just hitting the road with a trailer. As long as I have a mobile internet connection, I can work from anywhere. And she wants to retire!! Sounds like a win-win to me!!

=========================

I Googled the trailer mentioned in the first post. That outdoor kitchen is pretty cool - and I like that there's an indoor kitchen as well! Might have to look at something like that.

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
We haven’t gotten the chance to go camping for the past two years. The four of us use a 12 x14’ tent. Kids on one side my wife and I on the other. It has a divider between. I’d love to have a hard side pop up. Some thing like an Aliner, Rockwood, or Flagstaff. Our Sienna mini van wouldn’t have any issues pulling it. Even with an air mattress now my back hurts in the mornings. We don’t use electricity when camping. Showers optional. Cook over campfire or small camp stove. Worst part of tent camping? Most places only cater to campers anymore. Tent sites are usually rocks and sticks. Any tent site with grass usually will only fit a two person pup tent. Then there’s firewood. Can’t bring it with you anymore, have to buy it there. We went camping two years ago at a state park 15 miles from our house, still couldn’t bring our own firewood.

Might see about renting a hard side pop up for a weekend this year and see how we like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
322 Posts
Great camping pictures and stories everyone.

My wife and I camped in a tent top camper trailer on our honeymoon 48 years ago. We've used a slide-in pickup camper, when our boys were small and after the twin girls showed up we went to a Class A Winnebago and then a couple of different 5th wheel campers. The camping ended when we purchased lake property in the late 80's until about 4 years ago when we decided we wanted to spend as much of the winter as possible in the warmer climates so we could ride our Goldwing trike in the winter. We started out with a 5th wheel toy hauler but after the first winter decided there wasn't enough living space in that for extending stays. We upgraded to a 39' Winnebago Journey Diesel pusher 3 years ago and pull a trailer with the Trike and SUV in it. In 2017 we spend over 100 nights in it. 6 weeks of that were at Mayo in Rochester while had a stem cell transplant. We spend 2.5 months in the Texas Hill Country this past winter riding trike again. We're working on plans to split our time between Arizona and Texas this coming winter. Here's a few pictures....

Attachments

·
Registered
22,728 Posts
Great camping pictures and stories everyone.

My wife and I camped in a tent top camper trailer on our honeymoon 48 years ago. We've used a slide-in pickup camper, when our boys were small and after the twin girls showed up we went to a Class A Winnebago and then a couple of different 5th wheel campers. The camping ended when we purchased lake property in the late 80's until about 4 years ago when we decided we wanted to spend as much of the winter as possible in the warmer climates so we could ride our Goldwing trike in the winter. We started out with a 5th wheel toy hauler but after the first winter decided there wasn't enough living space in that for extending stays. We upgraded to a 39' Winnebago Journey Diesel pusher 3 years ago and pull a trailer with the Trike and SUV in it. In 2017 we spend over 100 nights in it. 6 weeks of that were at Mayo in Rochester while had a stem cell transplant. We spend 2.5 months in the Texas Hill Country this past winter riding trike again. We're working on plans to split our time between Arizona and Texas this coming winter. Here's a few pictures....
That is a dream for me that will never come true.....

·
Registered
719 Posts
Also guilty of glamping. Is a bath and a half considered to be excessive? Sure is nice when the kids can use the bathroom without coming into our room! We don't get to go as much as I like, the kids have a lot going on at 10, 13, and 15. We did managed to do Fort Wilderness (Disney World) last summer.

Beth Page.jpg

1 - 20 of 30 Posts